DS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I've got a wireless natural multimedia keyboard, and I was wondering if there is
any way to have the F-lock be on by default (so that F2 is F2 and not "undo")? It
drives me up the flippin' wall having to press the F-lock everytime I turn on the
computer or reboot. Surely there has to be a way to change the preference?

Thanks in advance.
-Dan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

See if the F Lock information at my website helps.

http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"DS" <nojunk.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I've got a wireless natural multimedia keyboard, and I was wondering if
there is
> any way to have the F-lock be on by default (so that F2 is F2 and not
"undo")? It
> drives me up the flippin' wall having to press the F-lock everytime I turn
on the
> computer or reboot. Surely there has to be a way to change the preference?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -Dan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The real problem is that there is an F-Lock key. I seriously doubt anyway
uses other than turning it off because it interfers with existing software.
Jason's work around shows that the keys can be remapped in software. Given
that the keys can be remapped in software, there is really no need for a
hardware F-Lock key. Hopefully in future keyboards they will remove it, and
give you a choice to remap the keys (or not) in software. Besides, they
could then correctly tie the remapped keys to office applications rather
than remapping the keys for all applications (most of which use the Function
Keys as they were originally intended to be used, as software re-definable
keys). As it is the F-Key remapping in hardware is a pain in the b*tt. It
interferes with applications that do use the function keys as intended (that
includes most games), and with standard (and long lived) Windows short cuts
(e.g., ALT-F4 to close a window).

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> See if the F Lock information at my website helps.
>
> http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "DS" <nojunk.signups@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > I've got a wireless natural multimedia keyboard, and I was wondering if
> there is
> > any way to have the F-lock be on by default (so that F2 is F2 and not
> "undo")? It
> > drives me up the flippin' wall having to press the F-lock everytime I
turn
> on the
> > computer or reboot. Surely there has to be a way to change the
preference?

> > Thanks in advance.
> > -Dan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Tell me about it.

I only made the page because I got so angry at the way F Lock worked. <g>

--

"Darren Greenwald" <nospam@scala.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> that the keys can be remapped in software, there is really no need for a
> hardware F-Lock key. Hopefully in future keyboards they will remove it, and
> give you a choice to remap the keys (or not) in software. Besides, they
> could then correctly tie the remapped keys to office applications rather
> than remapping the keys for all applications (most of which use the Function
> Keys as they were originally intended to be used, as software re-definable
> keys). As it is the F-Key remapping in hardware is a pain in the b*tt. It
> interferes with applications that do use the function keys as intended (that
> includes most games), and with standard (and long lived) Windows short cuts
> (e.g., ALT-F4 to close a window).
>
> "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> > See if the F Lock information at my website helps.

agreed... its F2 (renaming) and alt F4 that get me the most. Now F4 does the exact
opposite and opens a new window (UGH!). Rather than remapping all the keys via
software, is there no way to maybe trigger the F-lock key via software? I mean the
receiver (in the case of the wireless keyboard) is USB so it should be
addressable?

What about Microsoft handling the software remapping in their intellitype software
in the next revision?

Thanks.
-Dan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> agreed... its F2 (renaming) and alt F4 that get me the most. Now F4 does
> the exact opposite and opens a new window (UGH!). Rather than remapping
> all the keys via software, is there no way to maybe trigger the F-lock key
> via software? I mean the receiver (in the case of the wireless keyboard)
> is USB so it should be addressable?

Not possible: The switch is done "in hardware" and cannot be switched
from the PC.

> What about Microsoft handling the software remapping in their intellitype
> software in the next revision?

I wrote that to microsoft several times using the MS-Feedback-Site. Most
interestingly I got a reply last time, it directed me to Tsangs site and
wrote:

> We value your comments and I have forwarded your comments to the
> management team for review.

Well, if everyone else who dislikes this function uses the feedback form
on microsofts site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?linkid=23651) and
complains about that they may change future versions of Intellitype
which "simulates" function keys even when the F-Lock is off :-D.

Luckily I use Mac OS X most of the time and the MS driver for OSX (yes,
they do software for other platforms as well ;-) is capable of
simulating F-Keys with the small disadvantage that they can't be used in
conjunction with modifier keys.

Martin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

After speaking to the team that makes the MS Keyboards, I hope my f lock
page is on its last legs.

We'll see when they release new keyboards.

--

"Magir" <DELmg_news03DEL@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > agreed... its F2 (renaming) and alt F4 that get me the most. Now F4 does
> > the exact opposite and opens a new window (UGH!). Rather than remapping
> > all the keys via software, is there no way to maybe trigger the F-lock
key
> > via software? I mean the receiver (in the case of the wireless keyboard)
> > is USB so it should be addressable?
>
> Not possible: The switch is done "in hardware" and cannot be switched
> from the PC.
>
> > What about Microsoft handling the software remapping in their
intellitype
> > software in the next revision?
>
> I wrote that to microsoft several times using the MS-Feedback-Site. Most
> interestingly I got a reply last time, it directed me to Tsangs site and
> wrote:
>
> > We value your comments and I have forwarded your comments to the
> > management team for review.
>
> Well, if everyone else who dislikes this function uses the feedback form
> on microsofts site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?linkid=23651) and
> complains about that they may change future versions of Intellitype
> which "simulates" function keys even when the F-Lock is off :-D.
>
> Luckily I use Mac OS X most of the time and the MS driver for OSX (yes,
> they do software for other platforms as well ;-) is capable of
> simulating F-Keys with the small disadvantage that they can't be used in
> conjunction with modifier keys.
>
> Martin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Interesting thread! I just bought a cordless keyboard/mouse system from
CompUSA. Keyboard has an f-lock key, but the Off position gives the normal
function key responses, i.e. Alt-F4 closes a window. Tapping the f-lock key
gives the enhanced functions. Only drawback I see is there are no indicators
on the keyboard as to Numloc, ScrollLoc, CapLoc, or fLoc status. These show
up in the onscreen status bar.

Thanks for putting up your f Lock page, although I don't think I'll need it.

Bill

> After speaking to the team that makes the MS Keyboards, I hope my f lock
> page is on its last legs.
>
> We'll see when they release new keyboards.
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The only problem I have had with my MS Multimedia keyboard
was trying to open the BIOS. As soon as I was aware of the
problem, I solved it by turning the F-Lock ON as soon as the
keyboard has power and then pressing the F2 key or if I want
the boot menu F8.

If I were to design the keyboard I would have made the
standard F keys the default and allowed Windows to select
the desired mode after booting. But until Windows has
loaded, you're stuck with the mechanical switch that is
hard-wired in the kybd,

But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.

"Bill Sharpe" <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message
| Interesting thread! I just bought a cordless
keyboard/mouse system from
| CompUSA. Keyboard has an f-lock key, but the Off position
gives the normal
| function key responses, i.e. Alt-F4 closes a window.
Tapping the f-lock key
| gives the enhanced functions. Only drawback I see is there
are no indicators
| on the keyboard as to Numloc, ScrollLoc, CapLoc, or fLoc
status. These show
| up in the onscreen status bar.
|
| Thanks for putting up your f Lock page, although I don't
think I'll need it.

| Bill
|
| "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in
message
| > After speaking to the team that makes the MS Keyboards,
I hope my f lock
| > page is on its last legs.
| >
| > We'll see when they release new keyboards.
| >
| > --
| > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The indicators are on the receiver.
This is done to save battery power, as the having the indicators always on
on the keyboard would be a constant draw on power (as opposed to keystrokes
which are only sent via radio when keystrokes are made).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Bill Sharpe" <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message
> Interesting thread! I just bought a cordless keyboard/mouse system from
> CompUSA. Keyboard has an f-lock key, but the Off position gives the normal
> function key responses, i.e. Alt-F4 closes a window. Tapping the f-lock
key
> gives the enhanced functions. Only drawback I see is there are no
indicators
> on the keyboard as to Numloc, ScrollLoc, CapLoc, or fLoc status. These
show
> up in the onscreen status bar.
>
> Thanks for putting up your f Lock page, although I don't think I'll need
it.

> Bill
>
> "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> > After speaking to the team that makes the MS Keyboards, I hope my f lock
> > page is on its last legs.
> >
> > We'll see when they release new keyboards.
> >
> > --
> > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

> We'll see when they release new keyboards.

[Shudder] I don't like the sound of that. You mean I'm going to have to buy
a new keyboard in order to be free of the misbegotten FLOCK key design
decision in the one I have?

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Why would it not be switchable from the PC? If it's "in hardware" it's
definitely not in the keyboard itself. Does that mean the keyboard/mouse
receiver is tracking and sending the alternate key codes? That seems so
impractical and short-sighted, especially when it would be so easy to
include this in the keyboard driver, or allow the receiver to properly
interface with the PC.

All the Best,

Sean

"Magir" <DELmg_news03DEL@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > agreed... its F2 (renaming) and alt F4 that get me the most. Now F4 does
> > the exact opposite and opens a new window (UGH!). Rather than remapping
> > all the keys via software, is there no way to maybe trigger the F-lock
key
> > via software? I mean the receiver (in the case of the wireless keyboard)
> > is USB so it should be addressable?
>
> Not possible: The switch is done "in hardware" and cannot be switched
> from the PC.
>
> > What about Microsoft handling the software remapping in their
intellitype
> > software in the next revision?
>
> I wrote that to microsoft several times using the MS-Feedback-Site. Most
> interestingly I got a reply last time, it directed me to Tsangs site and
> wrote:
>
> > We value your comments and I have forwarded your comments to the
> > management team for review.
>
> Well, if everyone else who dislikes this function uses the feedback form
> on microsofts site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?linkid=23651) and
> complains about that they may change future versions of Intellitype
> which "simulates" function keys even when the F-Lock is off :-D.
>
> Luckily I use Mac OS X most of the time and the MS driver for OSX (yes,
> they do software for other platforms as well ;-) is capable of
> simulating F-Keys with the small disadvantage that they can't be used in
> conjunction with modifier keys.
>
> Martin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The keyboard sends different scan codes (or HID codes) depending on the
state of the F Lock key.

The F Lock key is a switch in the keyboard that the cannot be
programmatically controlled.

I suppose one could write a filter driver that intercepts scan codes that
can be affected by the F Lock key and translate them. However, it'd be
manufacturer specific (and only if they don't decide to change the scan
codes) so it could easily become a support nightmare if you ever end up
switching between many keyboards. There's probably more reasons why it's
not something that is typically done, but that's beyond my expertise.

--

"Sean" <Sean@NoSpamJustPostToTheGroupPlease.net> wrote in message
> Why would it not be switchable from the PC? If it's "in hardware" it's
> definitely not in the keyboard itself. Does that mean the keyboard/mouse
> receiver is tracking and sending the alternate key codes? That seems so
> impractical and short-sighted, especially when it would be so easy to
> include this in the keyboard driver, or allow the receiver to properly
> interface with the PC.
>

> All the Best,
>
> Sean
>

> "Magir" <DELmg_news03DEL@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > > agreed... its F2 (renaming) and alt F4 that get me the most. Now F4
does
> > > the exact opposite and opens a new window (UGH!). Rather than
remapping
> > > all the keys via software, is there no way to maybe trigger the F-lock
> key
> > > via software? I mean the receiver (in the case of the wireless
keyboard)
> > > is USB so it should be addressable?
> >
> > Not possible: The switch is done "in hardware" and cannot be switched
> > from the PC.
> >
> > > What about Microsoft handling the software remapping in their
> intellitype
> > > software in the next revision?
> >
> > I wrote that to microsoft several times using the MS-Feedback-Site. Most
> > interestingly I got a reply last time, it directed me to Tsangs site and
> > wrote:
> >
> > > We value your comments and I have forwarded your comments to the
> > > management team for review.
> >
> > Well, if everyone else who dislikes this function uses the feedback form
> > on microsofts site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?linkid=23651) and
> > complains about that they may change future versions of Intellitype
> > which "simulates" function keys even when the F-Lock is off :-D.
> >
> > Luckily I use Mac OS X most of the time and the MS driver for OSX (yes,
> > they do software for other platforms as well ;-) is capable of
> > simulating F-Keys with the small disadvantage that they can't be used in
> > conjunction with modifier keys.
> >
> > Martin

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Jason,

"The keyboard sends different scan codes (or HID codes) depending on the
state of the F Lock key." But that's not strictly true. This is easily
demonstrable by picking up the keyboard, walking a distance away from the
receiver, and pressing the F Lock key. If you do this the F Lock key has no
effect, and obviously the keyboard is sending the F Lock scan code (as
indicated by the LED on the receiver). I guess the receiver must be then
interpreting the F keys differently, but the keyboard itself is definitely
sending the same codes for the F keys regardless.

In case saying this out loud has any affect on anything: I think it would be
really handy if IntelliType had the additional option of playing a sound
when the Caps Lock key is pressed. The little onscreen banner is, nice...
but easily missed. I've written a small program which does this (as well as
the option of playing a low humming noise whenever the Caps Lock key is on),
but being retentive about how many processes are running I usually don't
have it going. But the IntelliType app is already running, and would take no
more resources to play a "bobeep" when the Caps Lock was turned on, and a
"boboop" when it was clicked off.

Another thing I'd like to see is some XP styling on the pop-up Volume and
Caps Lock etc banners. I mean the board only works in XP right, so what's
with the old styling??

And don't get me started on those deliberately crippled IntelliPoint
drivers... like every other person who has purchased the set, I'm in here
waiting for the standard features to be returned...

BTW, Thank you for the FLock work you have done. I'm using the USB for the
set, so it is no benefit for me personally, but I'm sure it has helped many
out there.

All the Best,

Sean

> The only problem I have had with my MS Multimedia keyboard
> was trying to open the BIOS. As soon as I was aware of the
> problem, I solved it by turning the F-Lock ON as soon as the
> keyboard has power and then pressing the F2 key or if I want
> the boot menu F8.

Yes, that is one problem, but the problem is basically any software (and the
BIOS is just software) that uses the F-Keys is broken by the hardware
remapping of the function keys.

> If I were to design the keyboard I would have made the
> standard F keys the default and allowed Windows to select
> the desired mode after booting. But until Windows has
> loaded, you're stuck with the mechanical switch that is
> hard-wired in the kybd,

Three things.

1.) There is no need to remap the keys in hardware. It is completely silly.
Of all the things you might want to virtualize/remap in software, remapping
keys has got to be the easiest, least CPU intensive remapping there is.

2.) Remapping the keys globally (in hardware) is not multi-tasking friendly.
Remapping the keys in hardware breaks all software that uses the function
keys as they were intended to be used, and have been used for 20 some years,
as user redefinable keys. That means to use those applications that use the
function keys as intended I have to MANUALLY switch the F-Lock key on/off
when I switch to those applications. That is just dumb. There is no reason
I should have to switch the F-Key lock on/off by hand when I switch to an
application that uses the function keys as they were intended to be used.
If the remapping is done in software then it the remapping can be tied to
applications (in the same way the you can remap the mouse buttons with
Intellipoint and tie these mappings to specific applications). If Micrsoft
had really wanted to remap the keys they would have had better success by
adding a new API call that makes it very easy for applications to specify
that they use the Function keys as "office style" keys, and then have the OS
automatically remap the keys for those applications in software. That way
when you switched to those applications you would automatically get the new
behavior, while old applications would not be affected, but... see #3.

3.) The problem with #2 is that who is most likely to be using the function
keys? Advanced users. Beginners use the pull down menus and mouse. And
advanced users that have come to learn keyboard short-cuts that use the
function keys aren't motivated to learn a new set of short-cuts, not when
the short-cuts don't work in all other applications. Nor are they motivated
to teach new users a second set of short cuts. Particularly in a
business/school/laptop environment where most keyboards are not new MS
keyboards, where is the motivation to teach people these new MS specific
keyboard shortcuts? They don't work on other keyboards in the office. What
is the point in learning yet another set of (inconsistent) keyboard
short-cuts? Advanced users (who are probably the most likely to be making
the purchases) have already learned a set of short cuts (e.g., ALT-F4 which
cannot be used at the same time as the new function keys) so they won't
learn them. And beginners are likely to be entirely frustrated by the new
keyboard shortcuts. Pull up the Windows XP keyboard help sometime. The
F-key short cuts in the help docuemnts don't work with this new keyboard
mapping. Infact the documents that come with most games and much existing
software, doesn't work with the new keyboard mappings. The real newb users
are going to end up calling tech support asking them why pressing F5 doesn't
save their game, or why F3 doesn't search again, etc. And what software
developer wants to document around this inconsistency? So in the end
everyone converges on turning the F-Key lock OFF, and restoring the default
function key behavior. So I don't even honestly see much value in remapping
the function keys in software.

> But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>

> "Bill Sharpe" <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message
> | Interesting thread! I just bought a cordless
> keyboard/mouse system from
> | CompUSA. Keyboard has an f-lock key, but the Off position
> gives the normal
> | function key responses, i.e. Alt-F4 closes a window.
> Tapping the f-lock key
> | gives the enhanced functions. Only drawback I see is there
> are no indicators
> | on the keyboard as to Numloc, ScrollLoc, CapLoc, or fLoc
> status. These show
> | up in the onscreen status bar.
> |
> | Thanks for putting up your f Lock page, although I don't
> think I'll need it.
> |
> | Bill
> |
> | "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in
> message
> | > After speaking to the team that makes the MS Keyboards,
> I hope my f lock
> | > page is on its last legs.
> | >
> | > We'll see when they release new keyboards.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The solution may never happen because of marketing. But a
second set of F-keys, one gray and the other an enhanced
color would make everybody happy or angry. :)

> [...]
in the end
| everyone converges on turning the F-Key lock OFF, and
restoring the default
| function key behavior. So I don't even honestly see much
value in remapping
| the function keys in software.
|

| > --
| > But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| >

| > "Bill Sharpe" <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message
| > | Interesting thread! I just bought a cordless
| > keyboard/mouse system from
| > | CompUSA. Keyboard has an f-lock key, but the Off
position
| > gives the normal
| > | function key responses, i.e. Alt-F4 closes a window.
| > Tapping the f-lock key
| > | gives the enhanced functions. Only drawback I see is
there
| > are no indicators
| > | on the keyboard as to Numloc, ScrollLoc, CapLoc, or
| > |
| > | Thanks for putting up your f Lock page, although I
don't
| > think I'll need it.
| > |
| > | Bill
| > |
| > | "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in
| > message
Keyboards,
| > I hope my f lock

| > |
| > |
| > |

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Good idea, I would send this off to mswish@microsoft.com. :)

--
Eric Chew, MVP
Microsoft Hardware Products

Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the Microsoft
Online Support Knowledge Base at
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or contractual
obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for fun! :)

> [...]
> | >

> | > "Bill Sharpe" <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message
> | > keyboard/mouse system from
> position
> | > gives the normal
> | > Tapping the f-lock key
> there
> | > are no indicators
> fLoc
> | > status. These show
> | > |
> don't
> | > think I'll need it.
> | > |
> | > |
> | > message
> Keyboards,
> | > I hope my f lock

> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

If my memory serves me, there was sound in the OLD versions (like 1.0 days).
It was removed because of customer feedback I think.

--

> [...]
>> codes) so it could easily become a support nightmare if you ever end up
>> switching between many keyboards. There's probably more reasons why it's
>> not something that is typically done, but that's beyond my expertise.
>>
>> --
>> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>>
>> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>>
>> "Sean" <Sean@NoSpamJustPostToTheGroupPlease.net> wrote in message
>> > Why would it not be switchable from the PC? If it's "in hardware" it's
>> > definitely not in the keyboard itself. Does that mean the
>> > keyboard/mouse
>> > receiver is tracking and sending the alternate key codes? That seems so
>> > impractical and short-sighted, especially when it would be so easy to
>> > include this in the keyboard driver, or allow the receiver to properly

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

As I said, there should be an option. While not EVERYONE would like sounds,
to many, on keyboards without any indicators, a sound would be very useful.

All the Best,

Sean

"Eric Chew [MVP]" <echew@mvps.no.spam.org> wrote in message
> [...]
it's
> >> not something that is typically done, but that's beyond my expertise.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
> >>
> >> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
> >>
> >> "Sean" <Sean@NoSpamJustPostToTheGroupPlease.net> wrote in message

F4
> >> does
> >> remapping
> > F-lock
> >> keyboard)

> > Most
> > and

> > form
and

> > (yes,
> > in

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.mshardware.product,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Your right, they should make that an option. May I suggest emailing
mswish@microsoft.com?