Installing Steam

Hi gang,

I haven't played CS for a long time, but I'd like to get it going
again.

Anyway, I did have Steam before, and I believe it upgraded over my
older CS version, but I do have the retail CS CD/key. It says
Half-Life COUNTER STRIKE on the top. Man it's been a long time, and
the only reason I bought this CD was because I wanted my original own
copy of CS.

So....!! I downloaded Steam last night and it's working but it
doesn't show any games, so I'm assuming I have to do a fresh CD
install of CS and then just do all the upgrades.....

Right/Wrong?

But wasn't CS made free after a while, including all the latest
upgrades?

Please help so I can do this the most efficient way.

"Parev" <noemail@thanks.com> wrote

> I haven't played CS for a long time, but I'd like to get it going
> again.
>
> Anyway, I did have Steam before, and I believe it upgraded over my
> older CS version, but I do have the retail CS CD/key.
<snip>

Start up Steam , click PLAY GAMES , double click COUNTERSTRIKE , and it will
ask you for a cd key. Downloading will take a long time, 1/2 hour or more on
broadband, several hours on dial-up.

I forget if it downloads first, or asks for the key then downloads. Either
way, be patient. Watching TV or reading for awhile while it downloads helps.

Or if you had Counterstrike working with Steam before, you could look up
your old account and get the password through email.

I hope you get it running,
Limnophile

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:14:02 -0600, "Limnophile"
<limnophileNOSP@Mcharter.net> wrote:

>"Parev" <noemail@thanks.com> wrote
>
>> I haven't played CS for a long time, but I'd like to get it going
>> again.
>>
>> Anyway, I did have Steam before, and I believe it upgraded over my
>> older CS version, but I do have the retail CS CD/key.
><snip>
>
>Start up Steam , click PLAY GAMES , double click COUNTERSTRIKE , and it will
>ask you for a cd key. Downloading will take a long time, 1/2 hour or more on
>broadband, several hours on dial-up.
>
>I forget if it downloads first, or asks for the key then downloads. Either
>way, be patient. Watching TV or reading for awhile while it downloads helps.
>
>Or if you had Counterstrike working with Steam before, you could look up
>your old account and get the password through email.
>
>I hope you get it running,
>Limnophile

Hey, thanks for that.

It's obscure at best, because when I click on Counterstrike, box
opened up telling me that CS will require 806mb, so I clicked ok, then
it just went onto the usual connecting to game box, etc. after which
the CS game playing initial menu popped up but there was no game to
actually load. Where did it get the CS menu w/ the background image,
etc.. and all that?

Hmmmmmm

I'm just gonna install from my CD then upgrade. So does that sound
right? Maybe I should uninstall Steam while I'm at it so that
re-installing it will provide me the "auto" upgrade to 1.6?

Thanks!

Uzi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Parev <noemail@thanks.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:14:02 -0600, "Limnophile"
> <limnophileNOSP@Mcharter.net> wrote:
>

> >"Parev" <noemail@thanks.com> wrote
> >
> >> I haven't played CS for a long time, but I'd like to get it going
> >> again.
> >>
> >> Anyway, I did have Steam before, and I believe it upgraded over my
> >> older CS version, but I do have the retail CS CD/key.
> ><snip>
> >
> >Start up Steam , click PLAY GAMES , double click COUNTERSTRIKE , and it
will
> >ask you for a cd key. Downloading will take a long time, 1/2 hour or more
on
> >broadband, several hours on dial-up.
> >
> >I forget if it downloads first, or asks for the key then downloads.
Either
> >way, be patient. Watching TV or reading for awhile while it downloads
helps.

> >Or if you had Counterstrike working with Steam before, you could look up
> >your old account and get the password through email.
> >
> >I hope you get it running,
> >Limnophile
> >

> Hey, thanks for that.
>
> It's obscure at best, because when I click on Counterstrike, box
> opened up telling me that CS will require 806mb, so I clicked ok, then
> it just went onto the usual connecting to game box, etc. after which
> the CS game playing initial menu popped up but there was no game to
> actually load. Where did it get the CS menu w/ the background image,
> etc.. and all that?
>
> Hmmmmmm
>
> I'm just gonna install from my CD then upgrade. So does that sound
> right? Maybe I should uninstall Steam while I'm at it so that
> re-installing it will provide me the "auto" upgrade to 1.6?
>
> Thanks!

Welcome to the much hated much derided world of Steam!

On 24 Dec 2004 21:27:03 -0600, "Uzi" <rapandrandb@suks.com> wrote:

>Parev <noemail@thanks.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:14:02 -0600, "Limnophile"
>> <limnophileNOSP@Mcharter.net> wrote:
>>

>> >"Parev" <noemail@thanks.com> wrote

>> ><snip>
>> >
>> >Start up Steam , click PLAY GAMES , double click COUNTERSTRIKE , and it
>will
>> >ask you for a cd key. Downloading will take a long time, 1/2 hour or more
>on
>> >broadband, several hours on dial-up.
>> >
>> >I forget if it downloads first, or asks for the key then downloads.
>Either
>> >way, be patient. Watching TV or reading for awhile while it downloads
>helps.
>> >
>> >Or if you had Counterstrike working with Steam before, you could look up
>> >your old account and get the password through email.
>> >
>> >I hope you get it running,
>> >Limnophile
>> >

>> Hey, thanks for that.
>>
>> It's obscure at best, because when I click on Counterstrike, box
>> opened up telling me that CS will require 806mb, so I clicked ok, then
>> it just went onto the usual connecting to game box, etc. after which
>> the CS game playing initial menu popped up but there was no game to
>> actually load. Where did it get the CS menu w/ the background image,
>> etc.. and all that?
>>
>> Hmmmmmm
>>
>> I'm just gonna install from my CD then upgrade. So does that sound
>> right? Maybe I should uninstall Steam while I'm at it so that
>> re-installing it will provide me the "auto" upgrade to 1.6?
>>
>> Thanks!
>

>Welcome to the much hated much derided world of Steam!

I'll keep that in mind.