usb devices not recognized

April 19, 2004 11:46:11 AM

Has anybody else noticed a problem with USB devices and XP? I've tried hooking up USB hard drives, cd drives and printers to computers running WinXP and sometimes they don't get recognized, but if I move the devices over to a machine running W2K, there aren't any problems. I've tried doing all updates for WinXP, but nothing seems to help. I noticed somebody else tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB and that apparently worked for them. Does anybody know how i could go about trying that since there are a couple USB selections within Device Manager? i don't want to uninstall everything under the USB catagory unless that's the only way to do it. Thanks much!

More about : usb devices recognized

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 2:33:21 PM

Hello

Well I have a few devices installed and no problems to this day

Alvin

gary wrote:

> Has anybody else noticed a problem with USB devices and XP? I've tried hooking up USB hard drives, cd drives and printers to computers running WinXP and sometimes they don't get recognized, but if I move the devices over to a machine running W2K, there aren't any problems. I've tried doing all updates for WinXP, but nothing seems to help. I noticed somebody else tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB and that apparently worked for them. Does anybody know how i could go about trying that since there are a couple USB selections within Device Manager? i don't want to uninstall everything under the USB catagory unless that's the only way to do it. Thanks much!
April 19, 2004 4:23:11 PM

"Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message news:4083F141.EF743A20@swbell.net...
> Hello
>
> Well I have a few devices installed and no problems to this day

So, how does that answer the OP's question??
April 20, 2004 10:57:37 AM

Simply delete all entries under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device
Manager and reboot. The USB drivers will then be reinstalled by WinXP.
Generally this fixes USB problems.

"gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody else noticed a problem with USB devices and XP? I've tried
hooking up USB hard drives, cd drives and printers to computers running
WinXP and sometimes they don't get recognized, but if I move the devices
over to a machine running W2K, there aren't any problems. I've tried doing
all updates for WinXP, but nothing seems to help. I noticed somebody else
tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB and that apparently worked for
them. Does anybody know how i could go about trying that since there are a
couple USB selections within Device Manager? i don't want to uninstall
everything under the USB catagory unless that's the only way to do it.
Thanks much!
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 4:29:29 AM

"gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody else noticed a problem with USB devices and XP? I've tried
hooking up USB hard drives, cd drives and printers to computers running
WinXP and sometimes they don't get recognized, but if I move the devices
over to a machine running W2K, there aren't any problems. I've tried doing
all updates for WinXP, but nothing seems to help. I noticed somebody else
tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB and that apparently worked for
them. Does anybody know how i could go about trying that since there are a
couple USB selections within Device Manager? i don't want to uninstall
everything under the USB catagory unless that's the only way to do it.
Thanks much!

With the device connected, right click on My Computer and select Manage. On
the following screen, click on Disk Management. It should now show up on the
right hand side of the screen..... assign it a drive letter.

Marcus
!