usb devices not recognized

Has anybody else noticed a problem with USB devices and XP? I've tried hooking up USB hard drives, cd drives and printers to computers running WinXP and sometimes they don't get recognized, but if I move the devices over to a machine running W2K, there aren't any problems. I've tried doing all updates for WinXP, but nothing seems to help. I noticed somebody else tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB and that apparently worked for them. Does anybody know how i could go about trying that since there are a couple USB selections within Device Manager? i don't want to uninstall everything under the USB catagory unless that's the only way to do it. Thanks much!
4 answers Last reply
More about devices recognized

    Hello

    Well I have a few devices installed and no problems to this day

    Alvin

    "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message news:4083F141.EF743A20@swbell.net...
    > Hello
    >
    > Well I have a few devices installed and no problems to this day

    So, how does that answer the OP's question??

    Simply delete all entries under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device
    Manager and reboot. The USB drivers will then be reinstalled by WinXP.
    Generally this fixes USB problems.

    "gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Has anybody else noticed a problem with USB devices and XP? I've tried
    hooking up USB hard drives, cd drives and printers to computers running
    WinXP and sometimes they don't get recognized, but if I move the devices
    over to a machine running W2K, there aren't any problems. I've tried doing
    all updates for WinXP, but nothing seems to help. I noticed somebody else
    tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB and that apparently worked for
    them. Does anybody know how i could go about trying that since there are a
    couple USB selections within Device Manager? i don't want to uninstall
    everything under the USB catagory unless that's the only way to do it.
    Thanks much!

    "gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Has anybody else noticed a problem with USB devices and XP? I've tried
    hooking up USB hard drives, cd drives and printers to computers running
    WinXP and sometimes they don't get recognized, but if I move the devices
    over to a machine running W2K, there aren't any problems. I've tried doing
    all updates for WinXP, but nothing seems to help. I noticed somebody else
    tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB and that apparently worked for
    them. Does anybody know how i could go about trying that since there are a
    couple USB selections within Device Manager? i don't want to uninstall
    everything under the USB catagory unless that's the only way to do it.
    Thanks much!

    With the device connected, right click on My Computer and select Manage. On
    the following screen, click on Disk Management. It should now show up on the
    right hand side of the screen..... assign it a drive letter.

    Marcus

USB Devices Windows XP