D Drive not accessible by XP

I just upgraded from ME to XP Home and had many many many
problems. The latest one is my second hard drive appears
on Explorer, am able to right click it and see its
properties, am able to scan it, but when I left click it
or try to access it in any other Windows program, it
crashes out of Explorer.
The second drive is a Maxtor, 42 gig, fat 32 which was
installed with Maxtor's install disk. Model # 54610H6.
I called Maxtor and they had no clue.
Any help is appreciated

You should not need any installation software to install a second drive. It may have added a disk overlay that XP dosen't like.
Can you right click the drive icon and get a format option? If yes, than perform a format. If no, then right-click My Computer
and choose "manage", then "Disk Management". Your drive should show up in the right hand side. You will need to create a dynamic
volume, and then format the volume before using. Hope this helps.
Coach Ed