Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

If this is not the correct NG, would someone redirect me to the proper one.
Thanks

My graphics card and MB chip set both support 8X but my system is running at
4X. Any way to change the setting?

"Randy" <rwmolitor_fake@charter.net> wrote in message
> If this is not the correct NG, would someone redirect me to the proper
one.
> Thanks
>
> My graphics card and MB chip set both support 8X but my system is running
at
> 4X. Any way to change the setting?

Hi Randy,

This IS the correct group (assuming you ARE running Windows XP, of course
:) ) but we'll need a little more info to work on.
What graphics card and motherboard are you using?
Have you checked the BIOS settings on your board, and updated to the latest
BIOS if applicable?
What tool are you using to check the AGP mode?
Have you installed the appropriate vendor's drivers for your motherboard
chipset?

Hope this helps..

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Thanks for the reply David. I thought you might need more information but
wasn't sure if this was the right NG. Could have been a waste of time.

Anyway, The adapter is Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420, The MB is an ECS L4S8A2 with
a SIS 648 Chipset.

I check the bios chipset features and there is no provision to set the AGP
Bus speed.

I went to the bios manufacturer and my version is current.

I went to SIS and installed the currect AGP update.

Nvidia properties show AGP running at 4X. The card and chip both support 8X
according to the fact sheet on their web sites.

I verified this by running AIDA32- Worldwide Personal System Information.
(Web site closed).

Thanks

"David Hollway [MVP]" <tNhOrSePaApM@angelfire.NOCAPITALS.com> wrote in
message news:408422cb$0$25236$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...

> Thanks for the reply David. I thought you might need more information but
> wasn't sure if this was the right NG. Could have been a waste of time.
>
> Anyway, The adapter is Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420, The MB is an ECS L4S8A2
with
> a SIS 648 Chipset.
>
> I check the bios chipset features and there is no provision to set the AGP
> Bus speed.
>
> I went to the bios manufacturer and my version is current.
>
> I went to SIS and installed the currect AGP update.
>
> Nvidia properties show AGP running at 4X. The card and chip both support
8X
> according to the fact sheet on their web sites.
>
> I verified this by running AIDA32- Worldwide Personal System Information.
> (Web site closed).

Hi Randy,

Firstly, what brand of card do you have?
I'm pretty certain that the Geforce4 MX420 only supports AGP 4x - and the
spec sheet on the Nvidia website
(http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_20020204_8254.html, see the Performance
table on the last page) confirms this. Certain versions of the MX440 chip
are produced with AGP8x capability, but this is done more for marketing
reasons than anything else - the Geforce4 MX chips, being aimed at the
mainstream/budget market, are constrained by factors other than the AGP4x
bandwidth and don't show any gain from AGP8x mode. I wouldn't worry too much
if your card is only running at AGP4x mode - AGP8x is really only of use
with high-performance cards, such as the Geforce FX 5000 series or ATI
Radeon 9600 onwards.
That said, I suspect the explanation here is that everything on your system
is working at its correct speed, and that the card manufacturer's website
telling you that the MX420 card supports AGP8x is incorrect.

Does this help at all?

Best wishes,

-David Hollway

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Ah yes. I didn't go to the last page. The first part didn't explane the
limitations with each model.

Thanks for the info. I should have gone a little furthur. Sorry to waste
your time.

Randy

"David Hollway [MVP]" <tNhOrSePaApM@angelfire.NOCAPITALS.com> wrote in
message news:4084663a$0$26193$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...