64-Bit Processors

If I upgrade to a AMD 64 3200+ would I have to buy
Windows XP 64-Bit edition or could I continue to run XP
Pro on my computer?

Evan

The 32-bit version of Windows XP Pro will support a AMD 64-bit processor.
However, you will not see the best performance until you install the 64-bit version
of Windows XP for AMD 64-bit processors which will be released sometime later
this year. Also, very few hardware manufacturers have drivers available for 64-bit O/S.

Newsgroup Support for Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/extended/trial/support.mspx

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview Program
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp

List of Limitations in 64-Bit Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282423&Product=winxp

Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298218&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Evan Patton" <evan_patton@hotmail.com> wrote in message:

| If I upgrade to a AMD 64 3200+ would I have to buy
| Windows XP 64-Bit edition or could I continue to run XP
| Pro on my computer?
|
| Evan

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:14:18 -0700, "Evan Patton"
<evan_patton@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If I upgrade to a AMD 64 3200+ would I have to buy
>Windows XP 64-Bit edition or could I continue to run XP
>Pro on my computer?
>
>Evan
Don't need 64 bit xp
-- KenW

64bit from what i've read would be a good investment for the future of your
machine if you plan on keeping it for more than a couple of years. even if
you got xp64bit you prolly wouldn't see that much of a difference in your
day to day (windows) use (3200+, winxp/xp64)

i just bough a machine with the 3200+ and it really cranks it out in the
gaming arenas and i look forwar to the day that software catches up to the
technology(for a change), but on an older machine you may be waiting longer
than you computer lives
--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS

"Evan Patton" <evan_patton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If I upgrade to a AMD 64 3200+ would I have to buy
> Windows XP 64-Bit edition or could I continue to run XP
> Pro on my computer?
>
> Evan

Hi

64-bit machines are OK, but there is only a 'beta' version of a 64-bit OS
available. While that works, there are not very many 64-bit drivers
available. My suggestion is to wait until the 64-bit version is available.
All 64-bit PCs that are now being sold are with 32-bit OSes.

--

Will Denny

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
"Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
> 64bit from what i've read would be a good investment for the future of
> your
> machine if you plan on keeping it for more than a couple of years. even if
> you got xp64bit you prolly wouldn't see that much of a difference in your
> day to day (windows) use (3200+, winxp/xp64)
>
> i just bough a machine with the 3200+ and it really cranks it out in the
> gaming arenas and i look forwar to the day that software catches up to the
> technology(for a change), but on an older machine you may be waiting
> longer
> than you computer lives
> --
> "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
> knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
> someone with more"
>

> "Evan Patton" <evan_patton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If I upgrade to a AMD 64 3200+ would I have to buy
>> Windows XP 64-Bit edition or could I continue to run XP
>> Pro on my computer?
>>
>> Evan

---

TRENDING THREADS