Formatting used hard drive

I have Windows XP Home Edition with a 40 GB hard drive. My
old computer used Windows 98 and had one of the first
pentiums, and Windows 98 only registered 7.5 GB for a 30
GB hard drive. I installed the 30 GB drive in my new
computer and tried to format it. Windows XP would not let
me format the drive and it also registered 7.5 GB with XP.
I have removed/delete all the files from the 30 GB drive
and still XP will not let me format it. I want to be able
to format the 30 GB drive and have it display 30 GB. What
do I have to do to accomplish this? The 30 GB drive was
formated with FAT32.

Tommy, connect the old drive as Master. Disconnect the new drive
temporarily. Go here and get one of
their super bootdisks. www.bootdisk.com Use Fdisk to delete and
create a new partition of 30G.
If you are unfamiliar with Fdisk, check here.
http://www.pcabusers.net/fdisk.html
http://fdisk.radified.com/
"Tommy" <tomemorse@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows XP Home Edition with a 40 GB hard drive. My
> old computer used Windows 98 and had one of the first
> pentiums, and Windows 98 only registered 7.5 GB for a 30
> GB hard drive. I installed the 30 GB drive in my new
> computer and tried to format it. Windows XP would not let
> me format the drive and it also registered 7.5 GB with XP.
> I have removed/delete all the files from the 30 GB drive
> and still XP will not let me format it. I want to be able
> to format the 30 GB drive and have it display 30 GB. What
> do I have to do to accomplish this? The 30 GB drive was
> formated with FAT32.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Use the safety boot floppy from Win98 to start the computer. Run FDISK and
select the 30Gb hard drive; delete any logical drives and extended
partitons; delete any primary partitons, reboot (using the floppy) and run
FDISK again. Select the 30Gb drive and make one primary partiton. Reboot
with the floppy and format the 30Gb drive, remove floppy, reboot to Windows
and things should be ok.

"Tommy" <tomemorse@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows XP Home Edition with a 40 GB hard drive. My
> old computer used Windows 98 and had one of the first
> pentiums, and Windows 98 only registered 7.5 GB for a 30
> GB hard drive. I installed the 30 GB drive in my new
> computer and tried to format it. Windows XP would not let
> me format the drive and it also registered 7.5 GB with XP.
> I have removed/delete all the files from the 30 GB drive
> and still XP will not let me format it. I want to be able
> to format the 30 GB drive and have it display 30 GB. What
> do I have to do to accomplish this? The 30 GB drive was
> formated with FAT32.

Andy

Run XP's Disk Management program and delete all partition(s) from the
30G drive and create a new partition using the entire drive..