Windows wont booting up

red@toms

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hello,
I have an issue with my desktop computer. The story is, it was suddenly shut down when i used it. I'll try to power it on again but unfortunately it's really like no power coming in. My friend told me that maybe the CMOS battery is dead so i replaced it with a new one. I turned the computer on and surprisingly its working. However, when its booting up, in the monitor screen there are 2 options it says 'windows start-up repair and run windows normally'. i choose start-up repair and its says loading files and then afterward nothing happened and there is no display. Any comments will be appreciated.

red@toms

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

Thanks for replying Sir Edmond, i appreciate. I try to turned it off and then turned it back on and then i choose the "start windows normally" then afterwards, in the display it says "Starting Windows" (with the windows 7 logo) but thats it, there is no changes at all. I've tried to wait for an hour but unfortunately its the same display and its like hanging up. Sorry for my English i am Filipino and this is my third language.

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Your English is not bad, I'd say! Not bad. Just keep in mind to capitalize the "I" if it refers to you. (I know I am not supposed to be giving an English lesson in a computer forum)

I think it had encountered some kind of error so severe that it couldn't even render the BSOD!

Try booting in safemode? When that screen comes up, select "Run windows normally", then as soon as you select that, repeatedly press your F8 key until you see a menu with lots of things. Safemode should be the second option

I think when he took the CMOS battery out the BIOS reset and switched the HDD controller from ACHI to IDE or something like that. Try going into the BIOS under heither HDD or SATA configuration change the mode around, if its IDE try setting it to AHCI if it is AHCI try setting it to IDE. Typically you press F10 to exit and save the BIOS.

I am 99% sure that is your problem. However if that doesnt fix another issue could be some RAM failed stopping the system from booting (happened to me) in which case you would need to burn memtest86+ to a CD and run the test. I would try changing the HDD controller setting first as it is the easiest and fastest thing to do.

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
This could be a number of problems.

The one that springs to my mind is a memory error if it is not booting. Try and take a memory module out and see if it boots. If it does boot then you will have to get different RAM. If it does not boot then try swapping the memory and see if it boots.

OR

you could use (http://www.memtest86.com/) burn this to CD and it will run before windows will boot, it will check that your memory is ok.

EDIT: Sorry this was already posted before me, sorry :p caffeine in my system is running low :p

red@toms

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks guys for your comments.
Mr. Edmond, I tried the safe mode option then its loading windows files. However, it’s only until “\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\null.sys” and below it says “Please wait…”. I am waiting about 30 minutes but nothing was changed.

Mr. Alexinnes, when I start the computer I press F2 and in booting up there is an option, one of the option is the “windows memory diagnostics test” and it says no problem have been detected for the memory. I want to try to change the BIOS setting. How to go into the BIOS setting? By the way, my computer is a HP (Invent).

red@toms

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I tried to reformat but what happened was:

In Windows 7

Windows is loading files... then afterward there is an indicator light running with Microsoft Corporation underneath and gone. I waited for an hour but nothing was changed.

In Windows XP

Windows setup.. loading files.. then afterward Setup is Starting Windows but that was it and nothing was changed.. its like hanging up.

My PSU is model P4-550W.

Mr. Snipergod87, i already know how to enter in the BIOS setup, its F1. The only option for SATA and IDE are enable and disable only and both are enabled.

Thanks for trying to help guys. I appreciate.

red@toms

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hi guys i just found the problem of my computer. The reason why the windows won't booting up because one of the memory slot that i am using is not working. But anyway, thanks for the helps.

KevinE333

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Hi guys i just found the problem of my computer. The reason why the windows won't booting up because one of the memory slot that i am using is not working. But anyway, thanks for the helps.

Red, I am having this same issue. Is there anyway that you explain your solution anymore?