Malfunctioning 2nd HD

I have slight problem (as usual):

My PC has problems when using 2nd HD. It works OK under WinXPpro (I think,
haven't stress tested), but I want to use it as a backup disk with
DriveImage 2002 and here the problems start (also under Linux). When making
a image, I naturally have to reboot to let DI load the DOS-version to backup
the C- and E-drive (E because my TEMP-env variable is set to E:\TEMP). Ok,
so far everything works, but about 15-20 min into the imagining my PC starts
to sound like an emergency vehicle (you know, uu-aa-uu-aa-uu-aa-uu at least
in Finland). It continues on, but that sound is NOT something I want to
listen to nighttime (when making my image). I'm just asking, any ideas??

(I can't check the temp when doing this, but if I exit DI and boot back to
XP, DriveHealth shows it as 42degrees C (about 105F??).
Under winXP it usually is at 39-40 degrees.
Cpu runs at 57degC, system at 41 and 1st HD at 40-41degrees, so I don't
think it's overheating). It is in a removable cradle with its own fan.
It's running with UDMA5, as my mobo can't more than that.

And the sound is definitely coming from the system, I guess it's the
S.M.A.R.T. monitoring the BIOS is doing.

The drive in question is a Seagate ST380011A 80GB disk, new as of 2h ago
(exchanged on warranty for this problem)
HD0 is an internal Samsung SV1203N 120GB

System is: (HW) ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB
100MHz), 384MB (SDRAM @133MHZ), 120+80GB HDs(primary IDE), DVD and
CD-RW(sec. IDE), GF2MX (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, D-Link
NetNic(DRN-32TX),235W power supply (I know, I know, too puny), Motorola
SurfBoard SB4100E cable modem.
OS=Win98SE_fi, all updates (incl. IE6SP1)

Any help would be appreciated, as I really don't like the sound of an
emergency vehicle when I'm trying to sleep....
(It's usually some 3 to 4 hours the imagining takes)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have slight problem (as usual):
    >
    > My PC has problems when using 2nd HD. It works OK under WinXPpro (I think,
    > haven't stress tested), but I want to use it as a backup disk with
    > DriveImage 2002 and here the problems start (also under Linux). When
    making
    > a image, I naturally have to reboot to let DI load the DOS-version to
    backup
    > the C- and E-drive (E because my TEMP-env variable is set to E:\TEMP). Ok,
    > so far everything works, but about 15-20 min into the imagining my PC
    starts
    > to sound like an emergency vehicle (you know, uu-aa-uu-aa-uu-aa-uu at
    least
    > in Finland). It continues on, but that sound is NOT something I want to
    > listen to nighttime (when making my image). I'm just asking, any ideas??
    >
    > (I can't check the temp when doing this, but if I exit DI and boot back to
    > XP, DriveHealth shows it as 42degrees C (about 105F??).
    > Under winXP it usually is at 39-40 degrees.
    > Cpu runs at 57degC, system at 41 and 1st HD at 40-41degrees, so I don't
    > think it's overheating). It is in a removable cradle with its own fan.
    > It's running with UDMA5, as my mobo can't more than that.
    >
    > And the sound is definitely coming from the system, I guess it's the
    > S.M.A.R.T. monitoring the BIOS is doing.
    >
    > The drive in question is a Seagate ST380011A 80GB disk, new as of 2h ago
    > (exchanged on warranty for this problem)
    > HD0 is an internal Samsung SV1203N 120GB
    >

    > System is: (HW) ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB
    > 100MHz), 384MB (SDRAM @133MHZ), 120+80GB HDs(primary IDE), DVD and
    > CD-RW(sec. IDE), GF2MX (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, D-Link
    > NetNic(DRN-32TX),235W power supply (I know, I know, too puny), Motorola
    > SurfBoard SB4100E cable modem.
    > OS=Win98SE_fi, all updates (incl. IE6SP1)
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated, as I really don't like the sound of an
    > emergency vehicle when I'm trying to sleep....
    > (It's usually some 3 to 4 hours the imagining takes)
    >

    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove NO _SPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

    Run the Seagate diagnostic program. It's freely available
    from the Seagate home page.

    Forgot that program.

    No errors detected (same as the previus HD) as seen from log:

    DIAGATA.EXE Version 3.07.30214ML
    Copyright (c) 2002 by Seagate Technology, LLC. All rights reserved.

    Timer Resolution: 0.000131
    Short Test Begin: 20-Apr-2004 06:59:54
    Cable Test - 0 Errors
    Buffer Test - 0 Errors
    Identify Data
    Model Number: ST380011A
    Serial Number: 5JV6A4GC
    Firmware Revision: 3.06
    Default CHS: 16383-16-63
    Current CHS: 16383-16-63
    Current Capacity: 16514064 Sectors
    Total Capacity: 156301488 Sectors
    80 Conductor Cable Reported
    ID Method: Jumper
    SMART Check: Passed
    Outer Diameter Scan (0 to 65025) - Passed
    Elapsed Time: 30.02s
    Estimated Internal Transfer Rates
    Min: 35.48Mb/s Max: 347.05Mb/s Avg: 307.56Mb/s
    Inner Diameter Scan (156268976 to 156301488) - Passed
    Elapsed Time: 15.07s
    Estimated Internal Transfer Rates
    Min: 35.32Mb/s Max: 347.05Mb/s Avg: 296.97Mb/s
    Random Seek (128 Cycles) - Passed
    Estimated Access Times
    Min: 4.449ms Max: 19.235ms Avg: 11.753ms
    Random Read (128 Cycles) - Passed
    Estimated Access Times
    Min: 6.804ms Max: 27.872ms Avg: 17.908ms
    PIO/DMA Data Compare
    Total Bytes = 3346432
    Estimated PIO Transfer Rates
    Min: 2.97MB/s Max: 3.07MB/s Avg: 3.03MB/s
    Estimated DMA Transfer Rates
    Min: 74.34MB/s Max: 99.12MB/s Avg: 74.56MB/s
    SMART Check: Passed
    Short Test Passed: 20-Apr-2004 07:01:16

    Scanning sectors...

    Performing Complete Surface Scan on drive: ST380011A
    Scan Completed... NO PROBLEMS FOUND

    --

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> kirjoitti viestissä

    > "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have slight problem (as usual):
    > >
    > > My PC has problems when using 2nd HD. It works OK under WinXPpro (I
    think,
    > > haven't stress tested), but I want to use it as a backup disk with
    > > DriveImage 2002 and here the problems start (also under Linux). When
    > making
    > > a image, I naturally have to reboot to let DI load the DOS-version to
    > backup
    > > the C- and E-drive (E because my TEMP-env variable is set to E:\TEMP).
    Ok,
    > > so far everything works, but about 15-20 min into the imagining my PC
    > starts
    > > to sound like an emergency vehicle (you know, uu-aa-uu-aa-uu-aa-uu at
    > least
    > > in Finland). It continues on, but that sound is NOT something I want to
    > > listen to nighttime (when making my image). I'm just asking, any ideas??
    > >
    > > (I can't check the temp when doing this, but if I exit DI and boot back
    > > XP, DriveHealth shows it as 42degrees C (about 105F??).
    > > Under winXP it usually is at 39-40 degrees.
    > > Cpu runs at 57degC, system at 41 and 1st HD at 40-41degrees, so I don't
    > > think it's overheating). It is in a removable cradle with its own fan.
    > > It's running with UDMA5, as my mobo can't more than that.
    > >
    > > And the sound is definitely coming from the system, I guess it's the
    > > S.M.A.R.T. monitoring the BIOS is doing.
    > >
    > > The drive in question is a Seagate ST380011A 80GB disk, new as of 2h ago
    > > (exchanged on warranty for this problem)
    > > HD0 is an internal Samsung SV1203N 120GB
    > >

    > > System is: (HW) ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2
    GHz(FSB
    > > 100MHz), 384MB (SDRAM @133MHZ), 120+80GB HDs(primary IDE), DVD and
    > > CD-RW(sec. IDE), GF2MX (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, D-Link
    > > NetNic(DRN-32TX),235W power supply (I know, I know, too puny), Motorola
    > > SurfBoard SB4100E cable modem.
    > > OS=Win98SE_fi, all updates (incl. IE6SP1)
    > >

    > > Any help would be appreciated, as I really don't like the sound of an
    > > emergency vehicle when I'm trying to sleep....
    > > (It's usually some 3 to 4 hours the imagining takes)
    > >

    > > --
    > > Tumppi
    > > Reply to group
    > > Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > > Helsinki, Finland (remove NO _SPAM)
    > > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    > >

    > Run the Seagate diagnostic program. It's freely available
    > from the Seagate home page.

    More info (and a guess)

    I did run the test (SeaTools) both with SMART enabled or disabled in BIOS.
    The test goes through w/o errors (as seen from log), but it also "generates"
    this same sound after about the same time (~20min). Now I've started
    thinking (with what?) :

    SMART (or DriveHealth) is reporting errors in Raw Read Error Rate, Seek
    Error Rate and Hardware ECC Recovered
    But has these HAVE to be from the disk itself? Is it possible for the
    chipset southbridge to be about to go down? (Chipset VIA KT133A, NB 8363A
    and SB 686B).Mobo was bought on 07.01.2002 (ddmmyyyy).

    But why don't I get this same problem under Windows, just when accessing the
    drive under Linux or DriveImage (I have no other means I can think of to
    test this). I'm about to move one of my partitions from HDD-0 to HDD-1 to
    test. Will report here.

    Still looking for ideas/solutions

    (No, I canNOT afford a new PC or mobo/processor/memory-combination. It would
    run in the neighbourhood of 250EUR. I'm unemployed)

    IF it's the ONLY solution, I might get the money for a new mobo, but that
    mobo must support my Thunderbird and all contemporary AthlonXPs, and make do
    with the SDR SDRAM I have now (256MB+2*128MB)

    --

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> [...]
    > > > 100MHz), 384MB (SDRAM @133MHZ), 120+80GB HDs(primary IDE), DVD and
    > > > CD-RW(sec. IDE), GF2MX (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, D-Link
    > > > NetNic(DRN-32TX),235W power supply (I know, I know, too puny),
    Motorola
    > > > SurfBoard SB4100E cable modem.
    > > > OS=Win98SE_fi, all updates (incl. IE6SP1)
    > > >

    > > > Any help would be appreciated, as I really don't like the sound of an
    > > > emergency vehicle when I'm trying to sleep....
    > > > (It's usually some 3 to 4 hours the imagining takes)
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Tumppi
    > > > Reply to group
    > > > =================================================
    > > > Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > > > Helsinki, Finland (remove NO _SPAM)
    > > > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    > > > =================================================
    > > >

    > > Run the Seagate diagnostic program. It's freely available

    If this was my disk then I would check its warranty status on the
    Seagate web page. If under warranty, I would return it to Seagate
    with a detailed problem description - they will most likely replace
    it free of charge. If not under warranty then I would buy a new
    one. They don't cost much.

> [...]
    > > Reply to group
    > > Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > > Helsinki, Finland (remove NO _SPAM)
    > > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    > >

    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > > >
    > > > "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw@NO_SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > think,
    > > > making
    > > > backup
    E:\TEMP).
    > > Ok,
    PC
    > > > starts
    > > > least
    > ideas??

    > back
    > don't

    > ago

    > > GHz(FSB
    > Motorola

    > > > Run the Seagate diagnostic program. It's freely available

    Did you read from the beginning?
    I stated " The drive in question is a Seagate ST380011A 80GB disk, new as of
    2h ago (exchanged on warranty for this problem)". Old disk was same make and
    model.

    And as I wrote, SeaTools find nothing wrong, but when running Seatools, at
    about 20min that bloody sound starts again.

    So far I haven't been able to create a situation in WinXP where I'd get that
    sound. (I have most of my previous E-drive mapped on primary slave now,
    before it was 3rd partition on primary master.)

    Partitioning:

    Primary master
    C-disk 6GB system disk NTFS
    D-disk 10GB various stuff FAT32
    E-disk 26GB programs and some data FAT32 (now G-disk while
    testing)
    F-disk 69GB movies FAT32

    primary slave (the problem)
    I-disk 54GB image disk FAT32
    E-disk 12GB just now, testing only FAT32
    ~9GB this, together with above testing E-disk, is
    reserved for playing with Linux when the problem is solved (if ever ?).

    On secondary master I have a LG DVD-ROM DRD8120B and as slave a LG HL-DT-ST
    CD-RW GCE-8480B

    And no, I'd rather not swap the drives around as, excepting this noise,
    they're functioning very good.

    --

> [...]
    > > > Min: 4.449ms Max: 19.235ms Avg: 11.753ms
    > > > Random Read (128 Cycles) - Passed
    > > > Estimated Access Times
    > > > Min: 6.804ms Max: 27.872ms Avg: 17.908ms
    > > > PIO/DMA Data Compare
    > > > Total Bytes = 3346432
    > > > Estimated PIO Transfer Rates
    > > > Min: 2.97MB/s Max: 3.07MB/s Avg: 3.03MB/s
    > > > Estimated DMA Transfer Rates
    > > > Min: 74.34MB/s Max: 99.12MB/s Avg: 74.56MB/s
    > > > SMART Check: Passed
    > > > Short Test Passed: 20-Apr-2004 07:01:16
    > > >
    > > > Scanning sectors...
    > > >
    > > > Performing Complete Surface Scan on drive: ST380011A
    > > > Scan Completed... NO PROBLEMS FOUND
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Tumppi
    > > > Reply to group
    > > > =================================================
    > > > Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > > > Helsinki, Finland (remove NO _SPAM)
    > > > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

    OK, I had overlooked the "new" bit, but I would still not live
    with it. It's a question of personal preference.

> [...]
    > > > test. Will report here.
    > > >

    > > > Still looking for ideas/solutions
    > > >

    > > > (No, I canNOT afford a new PC or mobo/processor/memory-combination. It
    > > would
    > > > run in the neighbourhood of 250EUR. I'm unemployed)
    > > >
    > > > IF it's the ONLY solution, I might get the money for a new mobo, but
    > that
    > > > mobo must support my Thunderbird and all contemporary AthlonXPs, and
    > make
    > > do
    > > > with the SDR SDRAM I have now (256MB+2*128MB)
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Tumppi
    > > > Reply to group
    > > > Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > > > Helsinki, Finland (remove NO _SPAM)
    > > > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

Windows XP