AX6BC / Win98 / USB weirdness

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

Hi all,

I have an old system with an AX6BC motherboard, running Windows98.

I have just upgraded my printer, so I have gone from a parallel port
model to a USB model. The printer installed fine, but then the PC
could not find it until the next power-on. After unplugging and
replugging, the printer was recognised and I could print. This
happens on every boot - the printer will not be recognised unless I
plug it in during system operation.

I also have a USB scanner. It used to do the same thing, but I
swapped it to the other USB port and the problem went away.

Therefore I think I have got a problem with one of the USB ports (it
is the upper usb port).

Is this a common/known problem with the board? If so, what can I do
to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Jojax14

jojax14 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an old system with an AX6BC motherboard, running Windows98.
>
> I have just upgraded my printer, so I have gone from a parallel port
> model to a USB model. The printer installed fine, but then the PC
> could not find it until the next power-on. After unplugging and
> replugging, the printer was recognised and I could print. This
> happens on every boot - the printer will not be recognised unless I
> plug it in during system operation.
>
> I also have a USB scanner. It used to do the same thing, but I
> swapped it to the other USB port and the problem went away.
>
> Therefore I think I have got a problem with one of the USB ports (it
> is the upper usb port).
>
> Is this a common/known problem with the board? If so, what can I do
> to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jojax14
What BIOS is your motherboard using? I would load version 2.57 or later
if you already haven't. Some of the BIOS fixes have been USB related.