Need Help with Acer CD/RW drive

April 20, 2004 12:33:51 AM

I upgraded to XP but I cannot get my Acer 1832A CD/RW drive to be recognized
by XP. It sees it as a CD drive, but I cannot record with it. Does anyone
have any idea what I can do?

Thanks,

Steve

More about : acer drive

April 20, 2004 12:33:52 AM

Windows Explorer, right click driver letter->Properties->Recording->"Enable
CD recording on this drive"

HTH

Jim

"Steven" <sladca@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I upgraded to XP but I cannot get my Acer 1832A CD/RW drive to be
recognized
> by XP. It sees it as a CD drive, but I cannot record with it. Does anyone
> have any idea what I can do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 1:47:40 PM

"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> Windows Explorer, right click driver
letter->Properties->Recording->"Enable
> CD recording on this drive"

Is this required to enable the native XP burning feature, or all and any
burning software ?

JP
April 28, 2004 2:29:04 AM

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:47:40 +0100, "Jeremy Poynton"
<j.poyntonREMOVE@THISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
>> Windows Explorer, right click driver
>letter->Properties->Recording->"Enable
>> CD recording on this drive"
>>
>Is this required to enable the native XP burning feature, or all and any
>burning software ?

No, just the built in burning software. If you had 3rd party software
you can turn off XP's CD burning feature.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:55:29 PM

"Peter Hutchison" <pjhutch@NOSPAM.plus.com> wrote in message
news:p 3kt80prerrasp2elhpab907u72ig36ehe@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:47:40 +0100, "Jeremy Poynton"
> <j.poyntonREMOVE@THISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> >> Windows Explorer, right click driver
> >letter->Properties->Recording->"Enable
> >> CD recording on this drive"
> >>
> >Is this required to enable the native XP burning feature, or all and any
> >burning software ?
> >
> No, just the built in burning software. If you had 3rd party software
> you can turn off XP's CD burning feature.
>
> Peter Hutchison
> Windows FAQ
> http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

Thanks. Thought that may be the case; if you DO have it on, might it confuse
other burning programs?

JP
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 4:41:05 AM

Hi,
I just had a problem I could not solve on my own.
I asked for support from Microsoft and within less then 24 hours they e-mailed a procedure which
solved my problem (XP was not recognizing my cd writer).
To get the support go to START>CONTROL PANEL>HELP AND SUPPORT CENTRE>
GET SUPPORT>GET HELP FROM MICROSOFT
You will have to get .net passport to get this help. Prompts will direct you.
Best of luck, Adam

PS Here's a procedure that solved my problem
I found this procedure in one of the answers to a question
What to do if CD Writer is not recognized by Windows XP?

When you loaded XP, Easy CD Creator (or likeness) was on
the system?
The BIOS sees the drive fine?
It is not present in device manager?
If you load a new driver, you cannot?
If you load new software, no difference?
Yes to these means Filters.
First, uninstall any burning software on the system.
Reboot as required.

Go to start
run
type regedit, then OK, to open the registry editor

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Expand SYSTEM
Expand CurrentControlSet
Expand Control
Expand Class
Find and highlight: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Right click on it, go to export.
Save it on the desktop, with back as the file name (in
case this does not work)
Save it.
With the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}key still
blue on the left, look on the right for an entry for
Upper Filters
Delete the Upper Filters
Look for Lower Filters as well.
Delete that too.
Close the Registry Editor, and restart the machine.
See if Explorer finds your drives.

Procedure to use in case CD writer is not recognized by Windows XP home edition.

Print this page.

1. Click on Start Menu and then click on Run.
In run window type "regedit" (without the quotes)
and then click OK.

2. In the Registy editor navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. In this key you will see UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters. Right click on them and select
Delete and then click OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

5. After removing the UpperFilters and LowerFilters
right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop and select Manage.

6. In the Computer Management Window click on the Device Manager.

7. Click the Plus on CD/DVD ROM.
In here you will see entries for the CD/DVD ROM drive(s) that you have.

8. Right click on your Creative CD-RW 4224 and select uninstall.

9 At the top of the Device Manager you will see your computer name.
Right click on your computer name and select "Scan for Hardware Changes".
This will reinstall your CD-RW drive

10. Check if your CD-RW works fine.
!