Need Help with Acer CD/RW drive

I upgraded to XP but I cannot get my Acer 1832A CD/RW drive to be recognized
by XP. It sees it as a CD drive, but I cannot record with it. Does anyone
have any idea what I can do?

Thanks,

Steve
5 answers Last reply
More about need acer drive

    Windows Explorer, right click driver letter->Properties->Recording->"Enable
    CD recording on this drive"

    HTH

    Jim

    "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    > Windows Explorer, right click driver
    letter->Properties->Recording->"Enable
    > CD recording on this drive"

    Is this required to enable the native XP burning feature, or all and any
    burning software ?

    JP

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:47:40 +0100, "Jeremy Poynton"
    <j.poyntonREMOVE@THISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    >> Windows Explorer, right click driver
    >letter->Properties->Recording->"Enable
    >> CD recording on this drive"
    >>
    >Is this required to enable the native XP burning feature, or all and any
    >burning software ?

    No, just the built in burning software. If you had 3rd party software
    you can turn off XP's CD burning feature.

    Peter Hutchison
    Windows FAQ
    http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

    "Peter Hutchison" <pjhutch@NOSPAM.plus.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:47:40 +0100, "Jeremy Poynton"
    > <j.poyntonREMOVE@THISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    > >"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    > >> Windows Explorer, right click driver
    > >letter->Properties->Recording->"Enable
    > >> CD recording on this drive"
    > >>
    > >Is this required to enable the native XP burning feature, or all and any
    > >burning software ?
    > >
    > No, just the built in burning software. If you had 3rd party software
    > you can turn off XP's CD burning feature.
    >
    > Peter Hutchison
    > Windows FAQ
    > http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

    Thanks. Thought that may be the case; if you DO have it on, might it confuse
    other burning programs?

    JP

    Hi,
    I just had a problem I could not solve on my own.
    I asked for support from Microsoft and within less then 24 hours they e-mailed a procedure which
    solved my problem (XP was not recognizing my cd writer).
    To get the support go to START>CONTROL PANEL>HELP AND SUPPORT CENTRE>
    GET SUPPORT>GET HELP FROM MICROSOFT
    You will have to get .net passport to get this help. Prompts will direct you.
    Best of luck, Adam

    PS Here's a procedure that solved my problem
    I found this procedure in one of the answers to a question
    What to do if CD Writer is not recognized by Windows XP?

    When you loaded XP, Easy CD Creator (or likeness) was on
    the system?
    The BIOS sees the drive fine?
    It is not present in device manager?
    If you load a new driver, you cannot?
    If you load new software, no difference?
    Yes to these means Filters.
    First, uninstall any burning software on the system.
    Reboot as required.

    Go to start
    run
    type regedit, then OK, to open the registry editor

    Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Expand SYSTEM
    Expand CurrentControlSet
    Expand Control
    Expand Class
    Find and highlight: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Right click on it, go to export.
    Save it on the desktop, with back as the file name (in
    case this does not work)
    Save it.
    With the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}key still
    blue on the left, look on the right for an entry for
    Upper Filters
    Delete the Upper Filters
    Look for Lower Filters as well.
    Delete that too.
    Close the Registry Editor, and restart the machine.
    See if Explorer finds your drives.

    Procedure to use in case CD writer is not recognized by Windows XP home edition.

    Print this page.

    1. Click on Start Menu and then click on Run.
    In run window type "regedit" (without the quotes)
    and then click OK.

    2. In the Registy editor navigate to the following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    3. In this key you will see UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters. Right click on them and select
    Delete and then click OK.

    4. Quit Registry Editor.

    5. After removing the UpperFilters and LowerFilters
    right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop and select Manage.

    6. In the Computer Management Window click on the Device Manager.

    7. Click the Plus on CD/DVD ROM.
    In here you will see entries for the CD/DVD ROM drive(s) that you have.

    8. Right click on your Creative CD-RW 4224 and select uninstall.

    9 At the top of the Device Manager you will see your computer name.
    Right click on your computer name and select "Scan for Hardware Changes".
    This will reinstall your CD-RW drive

    10. Check if your CD-RW works fine.

Acer Windows XP CD-Rom