AK75 Motherboard won't boot

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

I have an AOpen AK75 motherboard with AMD 1800 cpu. I am running
Windows XP Pro. My computer randomly won't boot up at all, the monitor
stays in sleep mode. I can't reset or even turn the power off. The
only way to get the system to boot is to remove the power chord from
the back, and try again. This can sometimes take 4 or 5 tries.

I would like to fix this because I can't really afford a new mother
board. Has anyone seen this before?

The motherboard was already replaced once (for this same problem)
while the PC was still under warrantee but that has now expired. I see
positive feedback on this board, but have yet to be impressed.

Thanks,
Heather

"Heather" <mckinnoh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have an AOpen AK75 motherboard with AMD 1800 cpu. I am running
> Windows XP Pro. My computer randomly won't boot up at all, the monitor
> stays in sleep mode. I can't reset or even turn the power off. The
> only way to get the system to boot is to remove the power chord from
> the back, and try again. This can sometimes take 4 or 5 tries.
>
> I would like to fix this because I can't really afford a new mother
> board. Has anyone seen this before?
>
> The motherboard was already replaced once (for this same problem)
> while the PC was still under warrantee but that has now expired. I see
> positive feedback on this board, but have yet to be impressed.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Heather

Hello Heather,

Some possible causes in order of probability:
1. Mains cord connector fits loosly in power supply socket at the back.
Try another mains cord.
2. Power supply connector not properly seated into mainboard connector.
There should be no gap between male and female power connectors.
3. Reset button or its wires shorted.
Try power up with reset unplugged.
4. Power button or its wires shorted.
Try power up by 'plug - unplug' power BUTTON connector to mainboard.
5. Bad power supply
Try a replacement.

Tell us what you found.

Hope this helps,