Want more memory;what do i need to know?

I have one ram module in my pc, but all I see marked on it is "512mb PC266
DDR." I want to add another one, but isn't it suppose to be identical to the
one that is already in the computer? That is, aren't the ram modules
supposed to be from the same company?
7 answers Last reply
More about want memory what know

    PC 266 DDR is a generic which is also called PC 2100. If
    you are not over-clocking you can buy (in most cases) any
    brand of PC2100, PC 2700 or faster. You want to get the
    same number of chips that are mounted on the current stick
    of RAM.

    I have two sticks of PNY PC 2100 256 MB bought at Best Buy
    (same store location) about 2 months apart. They were made
    by two different companies, Samsung and Nanya.

    But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    "Waheeba" <Waheeba@aol.com> wrote in message
    | I have one ram module in my pc, but all I see marked on it
    is "512mb PC266
    | DDR." I want to add another one, but isn't it suppose to
    be identical to the
    | one that is already in the computer? That is, aren't the
    ram modules
    | supposed to be from the same company?

    If you want a guarantee that the memory you buy will run then go to
    crucial.com, plug in your make and model and buy the memory from them.

    "Duh" <spam@spammer.com> wrote in message news:Om0hc.466377$B81.7747139@twister.tampabay.rr.com...
    > If you want a guarantee that the memory you buy will run then go to
    > crucial.com, plug in your make and model and buy the memory from them.

    Crucial is one of only two I truly trust for memory, the other is Kingston, and Kingston has better pricing.

    "Waheeba" <Waheeba@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I have one ram module in my pc, but all I see marked on it is "512mb PC266
    > DDR." I want to add another one, but isn't it suppose to be identical to the
    > one that is already in the computer? That is, aren't the ram modules
    > supposed to be from the same company?

    You can use CPU-Z from http://www.cpuid.com or Or EVEREST from
    http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1&subpage=5
    to find out the complete specs of your current module. Then, you might
    call the Crucial people to find the best match. If you want a solution that
    involves minimum risk, trash the current module, and replace it with ones
    recommended by Crucial's memory configurer at www.crucial.com. If
    there's an ECC option, get that.

    -- Bob Day
    http://bobday.vze.com

    Can I usee ECC and Non-ecc together. I know Crucial.com says I shouldn't,
    but I don't see why the modules would not work altogether just because one
    is parity and the other is non-parity.

    "Waheeba" <Waheeba@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I have one ram module in my pc, but all I see marked on it is "512mb PC266
    > DDR." I want to add another one, but isn't it suppose to be identical to
    the
    > one that is already in the computer? That is, aren't the ram modules
    > supposed to be from the same company?

    They are different electrically, in the way they handle a
    byte. There is very little reason to use ECC RAM in a
    workstation or home computer.

    | Can I usee ECC and Non-ecc together. I know Crucial.com
    says I shouldn't,
    | but I don't see why the modules would not work altogether
    just because one
    | is parity and the other is non-parity.
    |
    | "Waheeba" <Waheeba@aol.com> wrote in message
    | > I have one ram module in my pc, but all I see marked on
    it is "512mb PC266
    | > DDR." I want to add another one, but isn't it suppose to
    be identical to
    | the
    | > one that is already in the computer? That is, aren't the
    ram modules
    | > supposed to be from the same company?

    Well, well, well. I took my computer apart to see what memory I had in there
    because I am ordering new memory and I need to match what I already have.
    The sticker on the ram module said "PC2600." I was going to order pc2700
    instead of PC2100, which would have cost me an extra $20.

    I ran CPUz and it said I had PC2100. . . .not 2600! If I had ordered the
    2700, it probably would have worked, but of course it would have worked only
    at the 2100 speed. The point I am trying to make though is that I would have
    wasted $20.
    "Waheeba" <Waheeba@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I have one ram module in my pc, but all I see marked on it is "512mb PC266
    > DDR." I want to add another one, but isn't it suppose to be identical to
    the
    > one that is already in the computer? That is, aren't the ram modules
    > supposed to be from the same company?

RAM Memory Windows XP