XP dropped both my CD and DVD drives

I had to re-install windows due to a virus and two wees later my computer dropped by DVD-ROM and my CD-RW drives and refuses to recognize them. One says that it sees the drive, but the registry is broken and the other says it installed the driver but cannot find the hardware. Any thoughts?
1 answer Last reply
More about dropped drives

    Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
    See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
    Run the provided registry patch

    That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
    non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
    references for your cdrom(s))

    Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
    website

    CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
    or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

    (It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Fesak454" <fesak454@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I had to re-install windows due to a virus and two wees later my computer
    dropped by DVD-ROM and my CD-RW drives and refuses to recognize them. One
    says that it sees the drive, but the registry is broken and the other says
    it installed the driver but cannot find the hardware. Any thoughts?

Hardware CD-Rom DVD Drives Windows XP