Replacing chipset fan on AK77-333 Motherboard

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

Hi everyone,

I have searched through the AOpen website and haven't found anything of
great detail. I have an AK77-333 motherboard with a dead chipset fan.
I'd like to replace it, but like the person in another thread, I seem to
be unable to remove the heatsink (nevermind trying to get the fan off,
though I suspect that a mini screwdriver set would help with that.)

1) Do I need to replace the fan? I noted on one of the postings on the
AOpen website that future versions of the same motherboard would have a
heatsink but no fan in the same location.

2) If I should replace the fan, are there any ways to remove the fan and
heatsink without damaging the chip beneath or the motherboard itself?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Michael

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

Yes, the fan comes right off (same fan, both systems). Those four
tiny screws are all that hold it on.

I have not yet removed the heatsink, but I was advised to place the
motherboard in a freezer to make the adhesive brittle. The amount of
precaution required to prevent condensation damage means I will try
another method. I am slowly twisting the heatsink from side to side,
careful to avoid the resistors that surround the north bridge.

Good luck!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

On 9 Feb 2005 20:17:23 -0500, gsaults@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Guy)
wrote:

>Yes, the fan comes right off (same fan, both systems). Those four
>tiny screws are all that hold it on.
>
>I have not yet removed the heatsink, but I was advised to place the
>motherboard in a freezer to make the adhesive brittle. The amount of
>precaution required to prevent condensation damage means I will try
>another method. I am slowly twisting the heatsink from side to side,
>careful to avoid the resistors that surround the north bridge.
>
>Good luck!

I have had the same problem on the AK77-8XN, I removed the fan, bent
upwards the fan screw clips, fitted a small heatsink into where the fan was
and on top of that a standard 40mm fan.

The fan is held in place by the original fan screw clips which are just
bent inwards enough to grip the fan very firmly.

The heatsink underneath the fan is of the type designed for a 40mm fan and
had to be fitted because the original fan was designed to vent out sideways
rather than through the original heatsink.

Its a bit of a bodge job, but it works, temp has dropped from 46c to 36c
and should last until next upgrade.

--

Kevin