Mouse eratic or not responsive

If you can help I would really appreciate it. I am
running XP Professional. I started having the problem
when I was still using the XP Home Software.

I began to have trouble with my mouse being very eratic.
I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned it. No help. So, I
bought a cordless Mouse/Keyboard combination. It worked
great for a while. Then the mouse began having the same
problem. Eratic. Eventually, the mouse became totally
inoperative. The Keyboard worked fine. So, since this
mouse also had a ball and required occasional cleaning, I
cleaned and cleaned etc. No help.

So, I then bought an Optical Cordless Mouse. It worked
fine for a while. Then as with the others it began to act
eratic. And as with the other cordless mouse it
eventually became totally inoperative.

I have cleaned the system. I have reinstalled and
reinstalled and reinstalled everything. The best I can
get with the Optical is, the buttons work OK. The cursor
will move a distance variable with regard to how long it
has been since I last tried to move the cursor. IE: if I
let the mouse set for 10 seconds I may be able to move
the cursor 1/4". If I let it set for 30 seconds, I can
move it maybe 3". etc. But, it's really tricky.

I have even tried cleaning the Registry as per Microsoft
instructions. No help.

Prior to Windows XP I ran Win98. I was extremely happy
with Win98 and never had any problem anywhere near as
perplexing as this. I'm told that I cannot run Win98 on
this computer due to the Pentium III clone. If I could, I
would simply return to Win98. If it is that easy, please
tell me so.

However, without being able to go back to 98, I still
need a solution to this problem. I am now convinced it is
not a mouse problem. But, what is happening? I have had
to settle with using my old corded mouse (PS2)it is still
very eratic, but, I can at least use my computer.

Please help me.
A very desparate...... Sam41
4 answers Last reply
More about mouse eratic responsive

    "Sam41" <sam41@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > If you can help I would really appreciate it. I am
    > running XP Professional. I started having the problem
    > when I was still using the XP Home Software.
    >
    > I began to have trouble with my mouse being very eratic.
    > I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned it. No help. So, I
    > bought a cordless Mouse/Keyboard combination. It worked
    > great for a while. Then the mouse began having the same
    > problem. Eratic. Eventually, the mouse became totally
    > inoperative. The Keyboard worked fine. So, since this
    > mouse also had a ball and required occasional cleaning, I
    > cleaned and cleaned etc. No help.
    >
    > So, I then bought an Optical Cordless Mouse. It worked
    > fine for a while. Then as with the others it began to act
    > eratic. And as with the other cordless mouse it
    > eventually became totally inoperative.
    >
    > I have cleaned the system. I have reinstalled and
    > reinstalled and reinstalled everything. The best I can
    > get with the Optical is, the buttons work OK. The cursor
    > will move a distance variable with regard to how long it
    > has been since I last tried to move the cursor. IE: if I
    > let the mouse set for 10 seconds I may be able to move
    > the cursor 1/4". If I let it set for 30 seconds, I can
    > move it maybe 3". etc. But, it's really tricky.
    >
    > I have even tried cleaning the Registry as per Microsoft
    > instructions. No help.
    >
    > Prior to Windows XP I ran Win98. I was extremely happy
    > with Win98 and never had any problem anywhere near as
    > perplexing as this. I'm told that I cannot run Win98 on
    > this computer due to the Pentium III clone. If I could, I
    > would simply return to Win98. If it is that easy, please
    > tell me so.
    >
    > However, without being able to go back to 98, I still
    > need a solution to this problem. I am now convinced it is
    > not a mouse problem. But, what is happening? I have had
    > to settle with using my old corded mouse (PS2)it is still
    > very eratic, but, I can at least use my computer.
    >
    > Please help me.
    > A very desparate...... Sam41

    I suspect you have a problem with your mouse port. Try
    a USB or a serial mouse.

    In article <uBdvkMoJEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
    <I.can@fly.com> says...
    > I suspect you have a problem with your mouse port. Try
    > a USB or a serial mouse.

    Why would a bad port cause the behaviour described--specifically, that a
    newly installed mouse works fine for a while and then its performance
    deteriorates?

    --
    Howie
    "The very belief that violence is unavoidable

    "lllusion" <yeahright@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In article <uBdvkMoJEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
    > <I.can@fly.com> says...
    > > I suspect you have a problem with your mouse port. Try
    > > a USB or a serial mouse.
    > >

    > Why would a bad port cause the behaviour described--specifically, that a
    > newly installed mouse works fine for a while and then its performance
    > deteriorates?
    >
    > --
    > Howie
    > "The very belief that violence is unavoidable
    > is a root cause of violence."
    > Samdhong Rinpoche
    > 1st Democratically Elected Chairman of the
    > Tibetan Cabinet-in-Exile

    This could happen with a dry joint on the motherboard.
    When trouble-shooting it is best to consider all potential
    problem sources. not just the likely ones. I think that
    the OP focused too much on one single source.

    In article <#ZSRVRsJEHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
    <I.can@fly.com> says...
    > This could happen with a dry joint on the motherboard.
    > When trouble-shooting it is best to consider all potential
    > problem sources. not just the likely ones.

    Agreed! That's why I asked, because I've never heard of any hardware
    issue related with a port that could cause the described behaviour (and
    I was interested in learning something).

    > I think that
    > the OP focused too much on one single source.

    --
    Howie
    "The very belief that violence is unavoidable
    is a root cause of violence."
    Samdhong Rinpoche
    1st Democratically Elected Chairman of the
    Tibetan Cabinet-in-Exile

Mice Windows XP