Mouse eratic or not responsive

April 19, 2004 11:22:25 PM

If you can help I would really appreciate it. I am
running XP Professional. I started having the problem
when I was still using the XP Home Software.

I began to have trouble with my mouse being very eratic.
I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned it. No help. So, I
bought a cordless Mouse/Keyboard combination. It worked
great for a while. Then the mouse began having the same
problem. Eratic. Eventually, the mouse became totally
inoperative. The Keyboard worked fine. So, since this
mouse also had a ball and required occasional cleaning, I
cleaned and cleaned etc. No help.

So, I then bought an Optical Cordless Mouse. It worked
fine for a while. Then as with the others it began to act
eratic. And as with the other cordless mouse it
eventually became totally inoperative.

I have cleaned the system. I have reinstalled and
reinstalled and reinstalled everything. The best I can
get with the Optical is, the buttons work OK. The cursor
will move a distance variable with regard to how long it
has been since I last tried to move the cursor. IE: if I
let the mouse set for 10 seconds I may be able to move
the cursor 1/4". If I let it set for 30 seconds, I can
move it maybe 3". etc. But, it's really tricky.

I have even tried cleaning the Registry as per Microsoft
instructions. No help.

Prior to Windows XP I ran Win98. I was extremely happy
with Win98 and never had any problem anywhere near as
perplexing as this. I'm told that I cannot run Win98 on
this computer due to the Pentium III clone. If I could, I
would simply return to Win98. If it is that easy, please
tell me so.

However, without being able to go back to 98, I still
need a solution to this problem. I am now convinced it is
not a mouse problem. But, what is happening? I have had
to settle with using my old corded mouse (PS2)it is still
very eratic, but, I can at least use my computer.

Please help me.
A very desparate...... Sam41
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 4:56:53 PM

"Sam41" <sam41@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> If you can help I would really appreciate it. I am
> running XP Professional. I started having the problem
> when I was still using the XP Home Software.
>
> I began to have trouble with my mouse being very eratic.
> I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned it. No help. So, I
> bought a cordless Mouse/Keyboard combination. It worked
> great for a while. Then the mouse began having the same
> problem. Eratic. Eventually, the mouse became totally
> inoperative. The Keyboard worked fine. So, since this
> mouse also had a ball and required occasional cleaning, I
> cleaned and cleaned etc. No help.
>
> So, I then bought an Optical Cordless Mouse. It worked
> fine for a while. Then as with the others it began to act
> eratic. And as with the other cordless mouse it
> eventually became totally inoperative.
>
> I have cleaned the system. I have reinstalled and
> reinstalled and reinstalled everything. The best I can
> get with the Optical is, the buttons work OK. The cursor
> will move a distance variable with regard to how long it
> has been since I last tried to move the cursor. IE: if I
> let the mouse set for 10 seconds I may be able to move
> the cursor 1/4". If I let it set for 30 seconds, I can
> move it maybe 3". etc. But, it's really tricky.
>
> I have even tried cleaning the Registry as per Microsoft
> instructions. No help.
>
> Prior to Windows XP I ran Win98. I was extremely happy
> with Win98 and never had any problem anywhere near as
> perplexing as this. I'm told that I cannot run Win98 on
> this computer due to the Pentium III clone. If I could, I
> would simply return to Win98. If it is that easy, please
> tell me so.
>
> However, without being able to go back to 98, I still
> need a solution to this problem. I am now convinced it is
> not a mouse problem. But, what is happening? I have had
> to settle with using my old corded mouse (PS2)it is still
> very eratic, but, I can at least use my computer.
>
> Please help me.
> A very desparate...... Sam41

I suspect you have a problem with your mouse port. Try
a USB or a serial mouse.
April 20, 2004 4:56:54 PM

In article <uBdvkMoJEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
<I.can@fly.com> says...
> I suspect you have a problem with your mouse port. Try
> a USB or a serial mouse.

Why would a bad port cause the behaviour described--specifically, that a
newly installed mouse works fine for a while and then its performance
deteriorates?

--
Howie
"The very belief that violence is unavoidable

"lllusion" <yeahright@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In article <uBdvkMoJEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
> <I.can@fly.com> says...
> > I suspect you have a problem with your mouse port. Try
> > a USB or a serial mouse.
> >

> Why would a bad port cause the behaviour described--specifically, that a
> newly installed mouse works fine for a while and then its performance
> deteriorates?
>
> --
> Howie
> "The very belief that violence is unavoidable
> is a root cause of violence."
> Samdhong Rinpoche
> 1st Democratically Elected Chairman of the
> Tibetan Cabinet-in-Exile

This could happen with a dry joint on the motherboard.
When trouble-shooting it is best to consider all potential
problem sources. not just the likely ones. I think that
the OP focused too much on one single source.
April 21, 2004 2:20:32 AM

In article <#ZSRVRsJEHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Pegasus \(MVP\)"
<I.can@fly.com> says...
> This could happen with a dry joint on the motherboard.
> When trouble-shooting it is best to consider all potential
> problem sources. not just the likely ones.

Agreed! That's why I asked, because I've never heard of any hardware
issue related with a port that could cause the described behaviour (and
I was interested in learning something).

!