HP #10 ink cartridges expiration date unknown???

I bought 3 #10 cartridges for my last remaining HP printer
(2000c). All three have an expiration date well into next
year. Says so on the outside of their boxes. Yet the HP tool
box says expiration date is unknown!! I pulled them out and
put still useful cartridges in and their expiration dates show
up. I put the new ones in and still no expiration date. Their
ink levels also show as if they are about to run out. Well,
I weighed a cartridge I knew for sure was totally empty and
it weighed 1.5 oz. I weighed all three new cartridges and the
results were 2.5, 2.3, and 2.5 oz. I talked with a manager at
Staples who is familiar with these cartridges and he never
heard of this situation.
I know HP has taken a lot of heat for their expiration dates
so I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is their attempt to allow
the cartridges to run until they actually are out of ink, but in
doing so ink levels are incorrect.
Another possibilty is the cartridges went thru some sort of
electronic security detection in transit to the store and now
the chip is messed up. Is this possible?
Could sloppy handling (clerk drops a whole case of cartridges)
on the floor and causes a problem with the ink levels and
expiration date?
Like I said earlier, all three cartridges are showing the same
symptoms. Printing is fine so far, but I'm dumbfounded.

TIA for help with this dilemma
mark_
4 answers Last reply
More about cartridges expiration date unknown

    "mark_digital" <XXX-RIR@comcast.com> wrote in message
    > I bought 3 #10 cartridges for my last remaining HP printer
    > (2000c). All three have an expiration date well into next
    > year. Says so on the outside of their boxes. Yet the HP tool
    > box says expiration date is unknown!! I pulled them out and
    > put still useful cartridges in and their expiration dates show
    > up. I put the new ones in and still no expiration date. Their
    > ink levels also show as if they are about to run out. Well,
    > I weighed a cartridge I knew for sure was totally empty and
    > it weighed 1.5 oz. I weighed all three new cartridges and the
    > results were 2.5, 2.3, and 2.5 oz. I talked with a manager at
    > Staples who is familiar with these cartridges and he never
    > heard of this situation.

    I have not heard of this one, but I would call HP for warranty replacement
    since the cartrdige are still under warranty. Since the printer is out of
    warranty they may ask for your credit card but should not charge you once they
    determine it is a still-under-warranty ink supply issue. Email me if you have
    any problems with this process.

    > Another possibilty is the cartridges went thru some sort of
    > electronic security detection in transit to the store and now
    > the chip is messed up. Is this possible?
    > Could sloppy handling (clerk drops a whole case of cartridges)
    > on the floor and causes a problem with the ink levels and
    > expiration date?

    No.

    Regards,

    Hi All,

    I have been using an HP Photosmart 1100 with Win 98 for the last several
    years and have been very happy with it.

    I just upgraded my computer to Win XP (clean install) and installed the same
    Photosmart 1100 as the default printer using the same USB connection.

    The printer prints just fine once it gets going but it takes an eternity (60
    seconds or more) to actually start printing. All other aspects of printing
    are just fine.

    I've checked both HP and Microsoft's support and knowledge base areas but
    can't find any reference to this behaviour and I'm not sure what to try.

    Any thoughts ?

    Richard Gordon

    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "mark_digital" <XXX-RIR@comcast.com> wrote in message
    > > I bought 3 #10 cartridges for my last remaining HP printer
    > > (2000c). All three have an expiration date well into next
    > > year. Says so on the outside of their boxes. Yet the HP tool
    > > box says expiration date is unknown!! I pulled them out and
    > > put still useful cartridges in and their expiration dates show
    > > up. I put the new ones in and still no expiration date. Their
    > > ink levels also show as if they are about to run out. Well,
    > > I weighed a cartridge I knew for sure was totally empty and
    > > it weighed 1.5 oz. I weighed all three new cartridges and the
    > > results were 2.5, 2.3, and 2.5 oz. I talked with a manager at
    > > Staples who is familiar with these cartridges and he never
    > > heard of this situation.
    >
    > I have not heard of this one, but I would call HP for warranty replacement
    > since the cartrdige are still under warranty. Since the printer is out of
    > warranty they may ask for your credit card but should not charge you once
    they
    > determine it is a still-under-warranty ink supply issue. Email me if you
    have
    > any problems with this process.
    >
    > > Another possibilty is the cartridges went thru some sort of
    > > electronic security detection in transit to the store and now
    > > the chip is messed up. Is this possible?
    > > Could sloppy handling (clerk drops a whole case of cartridges)
    > > on the floor and causes a problem with the ink levels and
    > > expiration date?
    >
    > No.
    >
    > Regards,

    Could be

    "mark_digital" <XXX-RIR@comcast.com> wrote in message
    > I bought 3 #10 cartridges for my last remaining HP printer
    > (2000c). All three have an expiration date well into next
    > year. Says so on the outside of their boxes. Yet the HP tool
    > box says expiration date is unknown!! I pulled them out and
    > put still useful cartridges in and their expiration dates show
    > up. I put the new ones in and still no expiration date. Their
    > ink levels also show as if they are about to run out. Well,
    > I weighed a cartridge I knew for sure was totally empty and
    > it weighed 1.5 oz. I weighed all three new cartridges and the
    > results were 2.5, 2.3, and 2.5 oz. I talked with a manager at
    > Staples who is familiar with these cartridges and he never
    > heard of this situation.
    > I know HP has taken a lot of heat for their expiration dates
    > so I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is their attempt to allow
    > the cartridges to run until they actually are out of ink, but in
    > doing so ink levels are incorrect.
    > Another possibilty is the cartridges went thru some sort of
    > electronic security detection in transit to the store and now
    > the chip is messed up. Is this possible?
    > Could sloppy handling (clerk drops a whole case of cartridges)
    > on the floor and causes a problem with the ink levels and
    > expiration date?
    > Like I said earlier, all three cartridges are showing the same
    > symptoms. Printing is fine so far, but I'm dumbfounded.
    >
    > TIA for help with this dilemma
    > mark_

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals