Slave EIDE Drive Not Recognized by Windows XP Pro

My system has two hard drives, one for the system, other
for data. I had to reinstall Win XP Pro due to faulty
motherboard. I formated the system drive but not the
other. The data drive is now recognized in the system
bios but not by Windows and I cannot access my data.

I have tried the drive on a second computer running WinXP
Pro to no avail. I have also used 'Diskpart' from the
command line; the drive and volume appears and can be
selected but I am not able to assign a drive letter.

Is there a way to have Windows recognize this drive and
assign a drive letter without formatting and destroying
my data?

Thanks for the help.
8 answers Last reply
More about slave eide drive recognized windows

    If the second drive is slave did you try cable select for both drives.
    A different IDE Ribbon Cable. The
    Second Drive as Master on the secondary ide channel ???
    "Larry Lawson" <llawson_mft@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My system has two hard drives, one for the system, other
    > for data. I had to reinstall Win XP Pro due to faulty
    > motherboard. I formated the system drive but not the
    > other. The data drive is now recognized in the system
    > bios but not by Windows and I cannot access my data.
    >
    > I have tried the drive on a second computer running WinXP
    > Pro to no avail. I have also used 'Diskpart' from the
    > command line; the drive and volume appears and can be
    > selected but I am not able to assign a drive letter.
    >
    > Is there a way to have Windows recognize this drive and
    > assign a drive letter without formatting and destroying
    > my data?
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    Rich -

    Thanks for the reply. I have not tried any of the ideas
    you suggested. I can do the 'Master on secondary IDE
    channel' Please tell me more about 'cable select for
    both drives.' I assume there is a jumper setting just
    like for 'Master' and 'Slave.'

    Which approach would you recommend first - cable select
    or switch to 'Master' on secondary IDE channel?

    Thanks - Larry

    Have you tried looking at the drive in the Disk Management screen? Right
    click My Computer, click Manage and then the storage folder.

    "Larry Lawson" <llawson_mft@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My system has two hard drives, one for the system, other
    > for data. I had to reinstall Win XP Pro due to faulty
    > motherboard. I formated the system drive but not the
    > other. The data drive is now recognized in the system
    > bios but not by Windows and I cannot access my data.
    >
    > I have tried the drive on a second computer running WinXP
    > Pro to no avail. I have also used 'Diskpart' from the
    > command line; the drive and volume appears and can be
    > selected but I am not able to assign a drive letter.
    >
    > Is there a way to have Windows recognize this drive and
    > assign a drive letter without formatting and destroying
    > my data?
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    Yes - I have looked in the Disk Management Screen. Drive
    shows online and healthy but has no drive letter. The
    only option given to me under properties is to delete
    partition. That is what I am trying to avoid.

    Larry, try Cable Select first. Set both drives to it. It's one of the
    Jumper settings. M, S, CS master, slave,
    cable select.
    > Yes - I have looked in the Disk Management Screen. Drive
    > shows online and healthy but has no drive letter. The
    > only option given to me under properties is to delete
    > partition. That is what I am trying to avoid.

    Rich -

    I ended up calling Microsoft for support. Took close to
    an hour but they did solve the problem. Had to edit the
    registry and remove one item from one key. Never would
    have found that one on my own.

    Thanks for the help.

    Larry

    Larry, thanks for the heads up. Maybe you can post here what item and key in
    the Registry. Might help
    someone else.

    Larry Lawson wrote:

    >My system has two hard drives, one for the system, other
    >for data. I had to reinstall Win XP Pro due to faulty
    >motherboard. I formated the system drive but not the
    >other. The data drive is now recognized in the system
    >bios but not by Windows and I cannot access my data.
    >
    >I have tried the drive on a second computer running WinXP
    >Pro to no avail. I have also used 'Diskpart' from the
    >command line; the drive and volume appears and can be
    >selected but I am not able to assign a drive letter.

    A possibility is that the 'hidden' bit has got set. Try BootIT NG,
    from http://www.BootitNG.com ($35 shareware - 30 day full functional
    trial)

    Download, to its own folder, extract from the zip, run the bootitng to
    make a boot floppy.

    Boot the floppy, Cancel Install, entering maintenance, then click on
    Partition work. Select the physical drive (HD1) on the left. Then if
    the partition shows in the center pane, highlight it and take Properties
    - if there is an Unhide button, use it. If the partition does not show
    at all, click in 'Free space' and see if Undelete helps

Windows XP