No "Wireless Network Connection" available in network conn..

I'm trying to use a Linksys WUSB11 for my wireless connection. My PC is able
to detect the hardware with out any errors or problems. However, I do not get
the "Wireless Network Connection" in "Network Connections". I'm using WIN XP
PRO SP2. This is a recent clean install of XP(approximatly 2 weeks ago).
I saw a posting similar to this one with out a solution for me. Is any one
familiar with a solution?
6 answers Last reply
More about wireless network connection network conn

    Just some added info. I checked to confirm that the wireless zero
    configuration service was running. (which it was)

    "jokinda1" wrote:

    > I'm trying to use a Linksys WUSB11 for my wireless connection. My PC is able
    > to detect the hardware with out any errors or problems. However, I do not get
    > the "Wireless Network Connection" in "Network Connections". I'm using WIN XP
    > PRO SP2. This is a recent clean install of XP(approximatly 2 weeks ago).
    > I saw a posting similar to this one with out a solution for me. Is any one
    > familiar with a solution?

    Greetings jokinda1,

    If you do not see a Wireless Network Connection icon in the Network
    Connections folder then there is a problem with the driver installation of
    the wireless adapter. You could try uninstalling and restalling it to see if
    it will detect it. If that doesn't solve the problem, then try downloading
    the latest compatible drivers for the network card from the manufacturer's
    website.

    How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack
    2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702

    __________________
    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    "jokinda1" <jokinda1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to use a Linksys WUSB11 for my wireless connection. My PC is
    > able
    > to detect the hardware with out any errors or problems. However, I do not
    > get
    > the "Wireless Network Connection" in "Network Connections". I'm using WIN
    > XP
    > PRO SP2. This is a recent clean install of XP(approximatly 2 weeks ago).
    > I saw a posting similar to this one with out a solution for me. Is any one
    > familiar with a solution?

    Thank you for your reply
    I proceeded to uninstall and remove the wireless adapter. When I reinstalled
    the USB adapter the original driver must have reinstalled automatically when
    the device was recognized. Unfortunately the wireless connection icon was
    still missing. I downloaded a newer version of the Linksys USB11 driver. I
    uninstalled and reinstalled the new driver with no luck. Are you familiar
    with any other possibilities?
    Thank you in advance.
    Joe

    "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings jokinda1,
    >
    > If you do not see a Wireless Network Connection icon in the Network
    > Connections folder then there is a problem with the driver installation of
    > the wireless adapter. You could try uninstalling and restalling it to see if
    > it will detect it. If that doesn't solve the problem, then try downloading
    > the latest compatible drivers for the network card from the manufacturer's
    > website.
    >
    > How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack
    > 2
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702
    >
    > __________________
    > Eric Cross
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >

    > "jokinda1" <jokinda1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to use a Linksys WUSB11 for my wireless connection. My PC is
    > > able
    > > to detect the hardware with out any errors or problems. However, I do not
    > > get
    > > the "Wireless Network Connection" in "Network Connections". I'm using WIN
    > > XP
    > > PRO SP2. This is a recent clean install of XP(approximatly 2 weeks ago).
    > > I saw a posting similar to this one with out a solution for me. Is any one
    > > familiar with a solution?

    Just so we are on the same wave length
    remove USB adaptor
    uninstall sofware
    reboot
    install new software
    install USB adaptor
    ????????????

    > Thank you for your reply
    > I proceeded to uninstall and remove the wireless adapter. When I reinstalled
    > the USB adapter the original driver must have reinstalled automatically when
    > the device was recognized. Unfortunately the wireless connection icon was
    > still missing. I downloaded a newer version of the Linksys USB11 driver. I
    > uninstalled and reinstalled the new driver with no luck. Are you familiar
    > with any other possibilities?
    > Thank you in advance.
    > Joe
    >
    > "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings jokinda1,
    >>
    >> If you do not see a Wireless Network Connection icon in the Network
    >> Connections folder then there is a problem with the driver installation of
    >> the wireless adapter. You could try uninstalling and restalling it to see if
    >> it will detect it. If that doesn't solve the problem, then try downloading
    >> the latest compatible drivers for the network card from the manufacturer's
    >> website.
    >>
    >> How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack
    >> 2
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702
    >>
    >> __________________
    >> Eric Cross
    >> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>

    >> "jokinda1" <jokinda1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm trying to use a Linksys WUSB11 for my wireless connection. My PC is
    >> > able
    >> > to detect the hardware with out any errors or problems. However, I do not
    >> > get
    >> > the "Wireless Network Connection" in "Network Connections". I'm using WIN
    >> > XP
    >> > PRO SP2. This is a recent clean install of XP(approximatly 2 weeks ago).
    >> > I saw a posting similar to this one with out a solution for me. Is any one
    >> > familiar with a solution?

    Peter,
    I Uninstall the driver from the device manager first. If i disconnect the
    usb adapter first, I cannot uninstall the driver from the device manager
    because it is not there. After uninstall driver and remove device I reboot,
    then I connect the adapter and update the driver. I must update the driver
    because when i connect the adapter, xp recognizes it and says it is ready for
    use.
    Am I going about this correct?

    "peter" wrote:

    > Just so we are on the same wave length
    > remove USB adaptor
    > uninstall sofware
    > reboot
    > install new software
    > install USB adaptor
    > ????????????
    >
    > "jokinda1" <jokinda1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for your reply
    > > I proceeded to uninstall and remove the wireless adapter. When I reinstalled
    > > the USB adapter the original driver must have reinstalled automatically when
    > > the device was recognized. Unfortunately the wireless connection icon was
    > > still missing. I downloaded a newer version of the Linksys USB11 driver. I
    > > uninstalled and reinstalled the new driver with no luck. Are you familiar
    > > with any other possibilities?
    > > Thank you in advance.
    > > Joe
    > >
    > > "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Greetings jokinda1,
    > >>
    > >> If you do not see a Wireless Network Connection icon in the Network
    > >> Connections folder then there is a problem with the driver installation of
    > >> the wireless adapter. You could try uninstalling and restalling it to see if
    > >> it will detect it. If that doesn't solve the problem, then try downloading
    > >> the latest compatible drivers for the network card from the manufacturer's
    > >> website.
    > >>
    > >> How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack
    > >> 2
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702
    > >>
    > >> __________________
    > >> Eric Cross
    > >> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >>

    > >> "jokinda1" <jokinda1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I am having this same problem...

    The drivers won't update b/c Windows tells you the drivers you're trying to
    update it with are no better than the ones currently installed. I even tried
    to install the hardware by installing the updated drivers directly from the
    unzipped folder instead of from the cd that came with it.

    I also tried to install the Linksys Wireless Network Configuration Utility
    so I could use that instead of Microsofts Wireless Zero Configuration, but
    the utility isn't yet compatible with Windows XP.... I have yet to find any
    utility from Linksys that will work.

    The hardware wasn't faulty b/c I had 2 adapters on-hand and tried a clean
    install with both of them to no success. I also tried both install discs.

    The way I see it there are only a couple solutions...

    (1) Wait for Microsoft to work out this bug in the system for WZC. Linksys
    isn't the only company having problems with it.

    (2) Wait for Linksys to put out a Configuration Utility that is compatible
    with Windows XP.

    (3) Roll back to Service Pack 1. I really don't like this idea.

    (4) Switch to a wired connection instead. Ugh...

    I'd very much like to hear some other solutions.

Network Connection Wireless Wireless Networking