Sidewinder game pad pro with xp

April 20, 2004 1:29:35 PM

Hi, I've had my game pad for sometime, everything was ok
untill I plugged it when a game was loading up and then
it started to behave badly:
the d-pad is not functionning anymore, it stays on the
bottom right even after recalibration. All the other
buttons are working. Even if I restart windows, unplug
it, remove it from my system in the device manager, it 's
still the same.
I've tried it on my other PC and it works fine. So it's
only a software problem, and I think I just need to reset
the usb ports or something but I don't know how to do
that with XP.
Thank you
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 6:03:57 AM

Anybody got any ideas?
Anybody know how do you reset the USBs in win XP?

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:30:23 PM

Try uninstalling the device in Device Manager.

1. Click Start.
2. Right Click My Computer.
3. Select Hardware tab.
4. Click Device Manager
5. Expand the Human Interface Devices section if it isn't already expanded.
6. Select the device. There is probably 2 entries for the device. One
HID-compliant game controller and one USB Human Interface Device.
7. Click Action -> Uninstall for each entry.
8. After all desired devices are uninstalled select Action -> Scan for
Hardware Changes.

That will reinstall all the necessary files for the device as if it was
plugged in for the first time. Hope that helps. If you have more questions
let me know.

Joshua Smith
DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"K Myst" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Anybody got any ideas?
> Anybody know how do you reset the USBs in win XP?

April 22, 2004 2:26:52 PM

Hi thank you for your reply, but I tried that already. It
seems that the driver is corrupted for some reason. Is
there a way to reset it using the Windows CD?

confers no rights

>"K Myst" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Anybody got any ideas?
>> Anybody know how do you reset the USBs in win XP?

Anonymous
April 23, 2004 12:48:27 PM

You could try doing the same thing for your USB controllers. You should also
see if there are updated drivers for your USB controller. If that doesn't
work either I don't think there is an "easy way" at this point. If you have
an actual WindowsXP install disk you can put that in your cd-rom and run the
following command: d:\i386\winnt32.exe /unattend
That will reinstall Windows and use the current Windows setting to answer
setup questions. Most if not all your installed programs should still
function fine after, and things like your My Documents folder should be
fine, but as with any major project you should backup your important data
first.

!