MX3W Pro-V and XP Pro... crashes

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

A friend of mine bought this used computer from an acquantance. It features
MX3W Pro-V with Celeron 333MHz CPU and 2 x 256 MB RAM (PC133). It runs
Windows XP Pro (with no patch). Since the original CD is missing and the
product key isn't recognized, I wasn't able to get SP1/2 on it. However, the
security patches are added.

Here is the problem. This computer would crash (reboot) with little warning.
With the memory dump, it indicates a problem with IRQ and/or video driver
(for Intel 810 onboard video). I have updated the BIOS to R1.32 which I
believe the latest AOpen has for that board. I tried several Intel drivers
as well as the latest one I found on AOpen website. Nothing helps. I am in
the process of acquiring an AGP video card hoping that would side step the
problem.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience similar problems?

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about mx3w crashes
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

    I just want to update on this problem. I ran memory check program and
    discovered something quite interesting. If I only install one DIMM (256MB)
    the computer runs fine without any problems. It crashes (can't even pass the
    "extended test") if I have both DIMM chips installed. The chips are not
    defective because I can run the computer just fine with EITHER chip. It just
    can't have them both. The chips are made by NEC with the same design (but
    different lots and manufacturing facilities).

    "Danny Lin" <danny.lin@shopzones.net> wrote in message
    >A friend of mine bought this used computer from an acquantance. It features
    >MX3W Pro-V with Celeron 333MHz CPU and 2 x 256 MB RAM (PC133). It runs
    >Windows XP Pro (with no patch). Since the original CD is missing and the
    >product key isn't recognized, I wasn't able to get SP1/2 on it. However,
    >the security patches are added.
    >
    > Here is the problem. This computer would crash (reboot) with little
    > warning. With the memory dump, it indicates a problem with IRQ and/or
    > video driver (for Intel 810 onboard video). I have updated the BIOS to
    > R1.32 which I believe the latest AOpen has for that board. I tried several
    > Intel drivers as well as the latest one I found on AOpen website. Nothing
    > helps. I am in the process of acquiring an AGP video card hoping that
    > would side step the problem.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas or experience similar problems?
    >
    > Thanks.

Windows XP Motherboards