Unable to uninstall network adapter (Code 31)...

Hi!

I have an Intel Network card in a fairly modern computer running
Windows XP SP1. Unitil I uninstalled a VPN client I have had no
trouble with it. However, after the uninstall, Win XP displays a
yellow icon with an exclamation mark for the network card in the
device manager and the info says "Code 31 Could not load the drivers
for this device".

I have tried uninstalling the network adapter (in order to be able to
re-install it) but Win XP tells me that it "Failed to uninstall the
device. The device may be required to boot up the computer".

I have also tried upgrading the drivers for the adapter but the
problem prevails.

My guess is that the registry somewhere links my network card with a
virtual driver that the VPN client used.

Anyone know how I can remove all network drivers and their references
and reinstall the drivers for the newtwork card?

Kind regards,

Martin

Is this a card with an on-board Intel NIC? Have you checked
the BIOS? Have you checked with Intel troubleshooting?

But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message news:<edkUjQyJEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Is this a card with an on-board Intel NIC? Have you checked
> the BIOS? Have you checked with Intel troubleshooting?

Hi!

The network adapter is a part of the motherboard. I have tried booting
into safe mode and removing it there, but that did not seem to work
either. If i uninstall it, it gives me the "failed to..." message but
sometimes it is removed from the list. However as soon as I reboot the
machine Windows XP detects the adapter again and reinstalls the intel
pro/100 VE driver and I am back at the yellow dot with the exclamation
mark.

Could it be that Windows detects the wrong drivers? If I run the Intel
chiputil.exe software it tells me that the detected chipset is
Intel(R) 845G/GE/GL/GV/PE. But intels website does not mention what
the name of the onboard network adapter is for these motherboards.

Kind regards,

Martin

fitzy0308

having the same issue with a toshiba satellite A100

onboard
"intel(R) PRO/1000 pl network connection"
"intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection"

and even for somereason the "Nic1394 net adapter"

all having the same problem, (code31) and the same message when we try to uninstall

I have tried:
-removing them from the registry and then reinstalling
-deleting any trace of their drivers within windows system files and again reinstalling from scratch
-installing them from the drivers downloaded from the toshiba and even intel website

the problem doesnt seem to be a driver issue itself but more something else in the system causeing trouble for all network adapters. Now whether this problem lies in the registry, services, or what ever else, i am unsure.. but the issue doesnt seem to be anything specific to the hardware or drivers themselves

i have tried adjusting or changing every setting i can think of (i cannot access them as network connections to check proxy, ip or dns configuration) and i have tried running tools like LSPfix, Winsock fix, Dial-a-fix, and even the general XP MSfixit... still no luck

if anyone could think of any other possibilities i would love to know about it thanks

fitzy0308

any reason why after half a month i've had no reply? woulda thought with the reputation of this site id get atleast something, thanks guys really helped..

fitzy0308

hmm thanks.. ill think about it, we ended up reloading windows on that laptop it was XP, but now we have another laptop in with the same issue but vista, and i would rather not reload windows every time i get the issue... weve had to do that too often lately.