windows does not recognize disk drive

I'm running windows XP on a toshiba satelite 5200.

For some reason windows explorer does not recognize that
I have a disk drive. Therefore, I cannot use my disk
drive at all.

I have tried uninstalling the driver for my drive and re-
installing it. That didn't work.

I have checked the hardware trouble shooter and it says
that my device is working properly. However, windows
explorer still does not recognize the drive.

I have scanned for viruses and there is none.

I've tried opening and closing the drive. Still nothing.

I've tried everything suggested in the help menu to
diagnose the problem. Still, nothing.

If anyone has the same problem or knows how to fix this,
I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Kevin
5 answers Last reply
More about windows recognize disk drive

    Kevin, rt click on MyComputer>Select Manage>Disk Management. See if the
    Drive shows up there and
    assign a drive letter to it.
    "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running windows XP on a toshiba satelite 5200.
    >
    > For some reason windows explorer does not recognize that
    > I have a disk drive. Therefore, I cannot use my disk
    > drive at all.
    >
    > I have tried uninstalling the driver for my drive and re-
    > installing it. That didn't work.
    >
    > I have checked the hardware trouble shooter and it says
    > that my device is working properly. However, windows
    > explorer still does not recognize the drive.
    >
    > I have scanned for viruses and there is none.
    >
    > I've tried opening and closing the drive. Still nothing.
    >
    > I've tried everything suggested in the help menu to
    > diagnose the problem. Still, nothing.
    >
    > If anyone has the same problem or knows how to fix this,
    > I would appreciate your help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kevin

    Thanks you for your advise berry,

    I tried your suggestion and I think that it was a good
    one cus I did get a message once that the drive was not
    assigned; however, I tried your suggestion and failed to
    locate the dirve.

    Any other suggestions?

    thanks,

    kevin

    Kevin, if it's a USB Cdrom Drive then rt click on MyComputer>Select
    Prop>Hardware>Device Manager>
    Dvd/Cdrom Drives. rt click on your Drive and choose Uninstall. Also, rt
    click on the USB Controllers and
    Uninstall them. Restart and let XP reinstall all the drivers and devices.
    "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running windows XP on a toshiba satelite 5200.
    >
    > For some reason windows explorer does not recognize that
    > I have a disk drive. Therefore, I cannot use my disk
    > drive at all.
    >
    > I have tried uninstalling the driver for my drive and re-
    > installing it. That didn't work.
    >
    > I have checked the hardware trouble shooter and it says
    > that my device is working properly. However, windows
    > explorer still does not recognize the drive.
    >
    > I have scanned for viruses and there is none.
    >
    > I've tried opening and closing the drive. Still nothing.
    >
    > I've tried everything suggested in the help menu to
    > diagnose the problem. Still, nothing.
    >
    > If anyone has the same problem or knows how to fix this,
    > I would appreciate your help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kevin

    I uninstalled the usb controllers and cd/dvd rom driver
    but that doesn't work.

    The cd/dvd drive works 1 out of 20 times I turn on the
    computer. Whatever disk I have in there, I am able to
    access it and use it without any problems. The moment I
    go to eject the disk and put in a new disk my computer
    stalls and I have to perform a hard boot to get it
    working again. At this time, my computer usually does
    not recognize the disk drive.

    When my computer doesn not recognize the disk drive, it
    does not show an icon in the computer management/disk
    management. It does not show the volume for the disk
    drive.

    One time when the drive was working and I was able to
    access it. I assigned a new drive letter to it. But
    after I turned off the computer, the same problems
    persisted.

    Thanks for you help, perhaps I should go see a
    professional.

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:20:28 -0700, "Kevin"

    >I'm running windows XP on a toshiba satelite 5200.
    >
    >For some reason windows explorer does not recognize that
    >I have a disk drive. Therefore, I cannot use my disk
    >drive at all.
    >
    >I have tried uninstalling the driver for my drive and re-
    >installing it. That didn't work.
    >
    >I have checked the hardware trouble shooter and it says
    >that my device is working properly. However, windows
    >explorer still does not recognize the drive.
    >
    >I have scanned for viruses and there is none.
    >
    >I've tried opening and closing the drive. Still nothing.
    >
    >I've tried everything suggested in the help menu to
    >diagnose the problem. Still, nothing.
    >
    >If anyone has the same problem or knows how to fix this,
    >I would appreciate your help.

    Try deleting the device from Device Manager and reboot and let it
    redetect it. Also, try the CDROM fixes for CD drives, could be just ar
    registry fix.

    Peter Hutchison
    Windows FAQ
    http://www.pcguru.plus.com/