Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Floppy drive unrecognised

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 20, 2004 7:32:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi, my floppy drive does not see disks in it.. the floppy
drive seems to be installed correctly, have even replaced
it and tried with a new floppy drive but it still won't
recognise a disk. Do I need to format the drive or
install a driver for a floppy drive?

thanks in advance
John
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 8:36:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I am having this exact same problem.... someone please help! I have tried three floppies and bought several sets of disks to try. Tried to update XP and the drivers...

----- John wrote: -----

Hi, my floppy drive does not see disks in it.. the floppy
drive seems to be installed correctly, have even replaced
it and tried with a new floppy drive but it still won't
recognise a disk. Do I need to format the drive or
install a driver for a floppy drive?

thanks in advance
John
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:56:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I also am having this problem, also noticed a lot others having this problem. It would be nice if microsoft got off their arse and offerd a download fix like they did for their buugy nt platform.

"Download details: Windows NT4.0 Patch: Data corruption accessing floppy drive during heavy system load
Microsoft has released a patch that resolves an issue where under a heavy system load, access to a floppy disk drive may result in the following error message: System Process - No Disk There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive A.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI..."

Now I see why people buy macs.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 9:11:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

That patch download that Bailey suggested is for Windows NT... I am am running Windows XP Pro. I can't use that one right? Microsoft will tell you how to fix it for $35. Someone must know how out there for free! (How about a $15 bid?!)

----- Bailey wrote: -----

I also am having this problem, also noticed a lot others having this problem. It would be nice if microsoft got off their arse and offerd a download fix like they did for their buugy nt platform.

"Download details: Windows NT4.0 Patch: Data corruption accessing floppy drive during heavy system load
Microsoft has released a patch that resolves an issue where under a heavy system load, access to a floppy disk drive may result in the following error message: System Process - No Disk There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive A.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI..."

Now I see why people buy macs.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 10:41:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hello Melissa,
Sorry for any confusion. I was posting that patch and info to show that they did offer a fix for nt users and to back up what I said about it being a bugy system. I just hope they finally get around to fixing their mistake in xp and not expecting the customer to pay for the companys failures.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 11:36:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I know... I wasn't annoyed with your answer... just with Microsoft. It has to be XP causing the issue. The floppy worked fine with Win 98... and then I bought a brand new one just in case... sigh....

----- Bailey wrote: -----

Hello Melissa,
Sorry for any confusion. I was posting that patch and info to show that they did offer a fix for nt users and to back up what I said about it being a bugy system. I just hope they finally get around to fixing their mistake in xp and not expecting the customer to pay for the companys failures.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 1:31:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Aye it is frustrating, would like to reach someone and let them know how I really feel instead of being so civil. If you get a chance check out at this time page one a mvp answerd some ones question on the 3.5 floppy problems and gasp they claim xp is just fine it must be the user of xp and not xp itself sigh why dont they have a clue?
!