How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Upda..

Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I download it and uninstall
the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the machine has restarted,
Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of just using a small default
graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to Windows Update without
asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an utterly pointless step since
I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on Windows Update for months.

How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows Update like this? A prompt
before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.

Andrew
9 answers Last reply
More about stop drivers auto installed windows upda

    I find that when I disconnect from the net the update wizard has nothing to
    install other than its plain vanilla XP ATI driver.This is what I do when I
    upgrade my Radeon drivers.
    peter
    "Andrew McDonald" <myrmecophagavir@no-spam-thanks.bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I
    download it and uninstall
    > the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the
    machine has restarted,
    > Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of just
    using a small default
    > graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to
    Windows Update without
    > asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an
    utterly pointless step since
    > I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on
    Windows Update for months.

    > How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows Update
    like this? A prompt
    > before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.
    >
    > Andrew

    Wonder why ATI suggests you uninstall the old before you put in the new. Not
    to start a flaming war or anything but, I am using an oldish GForce 4 card.
    I have installed over 20 sets of drivers for this card, always "on top" of
    the old ones. Never had any problems.

    What you state is one of the reasons I have never purchased an ATI video
    card!

    Now, if they were ever to change......

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Andrew McDonald" <myrmecophagavir@no-spam-thanks.bigfoot.com> wrote in
    message news:ekuIZkyJEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I
    > download it and uninstall
    > the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the
    > machine has restarted,
    > Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of
    > just using a small default
    > graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to
    > Windows Update without
    > asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an
    > utterly pointless step since
    > I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on
    > Windows Update for months.
    >
    > How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows
    > Update like this? A prompt
    > before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.
    >
    > Andrew

    Andrew, you can go to Classic Control
    Panel>AdminTools>Services>Automatic Updates>rt click and
    select Prop>In the Startup Type Box choose Manual.

    "Andrew McDonald" <myrmecophagavir@no-spam-thanks.bigfoot.com> wrote in
    message news:ekuIZkyJEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I
    download it and uninstall
    > the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the
    machine has restarted,
    > Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of
    just using a small default
    > graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to
    Windows Update without
    > asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an
    utterly pointless step since
    > I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on
    Windows Update for months.

    > How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows
    Update like this? A prompt
    > before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.
    >
    > Andrew

    Thanks for the tip. I guess disabling my network connection is a good idea before the reboot.
    Annoying to have to remember this though, I wonder if there's any way to change the behaviour.

    Andrew

    Andrew McDonald wrote:

    >Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I download it and uninstall
    >the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the machine has restarted,
    >Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver

    I find that - contrary to what ATI says - you can just run their install
    and it will upgrade. But the alternative is to run MSConfig.exe and on
    the Boot Ini page select BASEVIDEO and reboot. That will use basic
    drives, and you can now do the uninstall and reboot, still using these.
    Now uncheck it, exit but do *not* reboot (perhaps tidy up any left over
    ATI files) and run the new install. Next time you reboot - after the
    install - there will be a message about `Troubleshooting`. Check the
    `Do not show again` box and exit

    Actually I use ZoneAlarm to cut my Internet connection.Somehow I have it set for
    "stop all internet" on startup
    > Thanks for the tip. I guess disabling my network connection is a good idea
    before the reboot.
    > Annoying to have to remember this though, I wonder if there's any way to
    change the behaviour.

    > Andrew
    >
    > "peter" <peter@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > I find that when I disconnect from the net the update wizard has nothing to
    > > install other than its plain vanilla XP ATI driver.This is what I do when I
    > > upgrade my Radeon drivers.
    > > peter
    > >
    > > "Andrew McDonald" <myrmecophagavir@no-spam-thanks.bigfoot.com> wrote in
    message

    > > > Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I
    > > > download it and uninstall
    > > > the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the
    > > > machine has restarted,
    > > > Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of
    just
    > > > using a small default
    > > > graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to
    > > > Windows Update without
    > > > asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an
    > > > utterly pointless step since
    > > > I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on
    > > > Windows Update for months.
    > > >
    > > > How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows
    Update
    > > > like this? A prompt
    > > > before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.
    > > >
    > > > Andrew

    Presumably ATI suggests it because it's good practice for any program. Old parts of programs should
    not be left lying around on a system, bits may be discontinued and therefore not be upgraded by an
    install, yet may be still referenced somewhere. It's especially important with device drivers
    because they're so fundamental to proper PC operation.

    Don't you think it's rather a silly reason not to get an ATI card though? Not least because Nvidia
    themselves tell you to do exactly the same thing:
    http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/56.72/ForceWare_Release_55_Graphics_Drivers_Release_Notes_v56.72.pdf
    page 31 of the PDF / 25 of the document. I haven't checked their driver readmes, but I guess this
    effectively limits you to an XGI / S3 / Matrox card for your next upgrade :-)

    Andrew

    > Wonder why ATI suggests you uninstall the old before you put in the new. Not
    > to start a flaming war or anything but, I am using an oldish GForce 4 card.
    > I have installed over 20 sets of drivers for this card, always "on top" of
    > the old ones. Never had any problems.
    >
    > What you state is one of the reasons I have never purchased an ATI video
    > card!
    >
    > Now, if they were ever to change......
    >
    > "Andrew McDonald" <myrmecophagavir@no-spam-thanks.bigfoot.com> wrote in
    > message news:ekuIZkyJEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >
    > > Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I
    > > download it and uninstall
    > > the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the
    > > machine has restarted,
    > > Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of
    > > just using a small default
    > > graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to
    > > Windows Update without
    > > asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an
    > > utterly pointless step since
    > > I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on
    > > Windows Update for months.
    > >
    > > How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows
    > > Update like this? A prompt
    > > before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.
    > >
    > > Andrew

    Thanks for the reply Rich, but doesn't this merely disabling automatic downloading of critical
    system updates, not device drivers?

    Andrew

    "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message news:u$VzbozJEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    > Andrew, you can go to Classic Control
    > Panel>AdminTools>Services>Automatic Updates>rt click and
    > select Prop>In the Startup Type Box choose Manual.

    Thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember that. Still, I'd prefer some prompting from Windows before
    it autodownloads, it would be the easiest solution. Can you pass that on as a request at all?

    Andrew

    "Alex Nichol" <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote in message

    > I find that - contrary to what ATI says - you can just run their install
    > and it will upgrade. But the alternative is to run MSConfig.exe and on
    > the Boot Ini page select BASEVIDEO and reboot. That will use basic
    > drives, and you can now do the uninstall and reboot, still using these.
    > Now uncheck it, exit but do *not* reboot (perhaps tidy up any left over
    > ATI files) and run the new install. Next time you reboot - after the
    > install - there will be a message about `Troubleshooting`. Check the
    > `Do not show again` box and exit

Windows Update Graphics Cards Windows XP