System Stops Reponding - Where to start loooking

bill

XP stops reponding. The keyboard and mouse cannot be used
and the only thing I can do is hit the power button. I
have all the latest drivers, SPs. In addition, I updated
by BIOS thinking that was the problem, but it still
continues. Does anybody have a clue where I can start
looking? I am running an AMD 1050 MGHZ, Award 6.0 bios,
512 memory. Motherboard is a shuttle AK12A. I am also
running Norton Internet Security Professional, but I don't
think that is this problem because it happened prior to
installing it.

Booting in Safe Mode would be a good start.