carlos

Distinguished
May 5, 2002

Hi:

Now I need replace my computer with an registred license
of windows xp pro, I have configured access to my network
application and I have data in my hard disk.

I think only move my hard disk from my old computer to my
new system, what can I do? I know windows xp not
recognize this transfer and probably not work.

Oh I forgot... I bought my new system without operating
system license, because my older computer go to trash

I need your help

peter

Hi,

Just connect the old HDD to the new PC as master drive, do not connect any other HDD at this moment.
Boot from the XP CD and then perform a repair installation of XP.

NOTE: repair only, NOT clean install, otherwise you will lose all the data files.

How to perform a repair installation of XP:

Set the CD-rom to be the first boot device in BIOS.
Boot from the XP CD and press ENTER key to enter setup.
Press F8 key to accept the license agreement.
When prompted to press the R key for repair installation, do so.
Follow the prompt to complete the installation.
After XP successfully loaded, you need to update all the patches and re-install SP1a if it is not included in the XP CD.

Peter