DVD/RW gone from my computer

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My hardware is still there but my PC doesn't recognize it anymore. How can get it to recognize it again???? It won't open up or anything. It isn't shown to be a drive in my device manager or under my computer.

Sony Vaio Desktop, XP, PCV-RX580

I have all of my recovery disks and already tried system restore to a few days ago but I either don't know what I am looking for or can't find it. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

peter

Hi,

Jason Tsang MVP wrote:

Goto http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website in addition to removing some drivers that may have been used by
older versions of Easy CD Creator that are known to cause problems with
WinXP.

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
;q314060]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];q314060

Hope it helps.

Peter

----- Bryan wrote: -----

My hardware is still there but my PC doesn't recognize it anymore. How can get it to recognize it again???? It won't open up or anything. It isn't shown to be a drive in my device manager or under my computer.

Sony Vaio Desktop, XP, PCV-RX580

I have all of my recovery disks and already tried system restore to a few days ago but I either don't know what I am looking for or can't find it. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Peter but I don't see the registry patch, what is it called and where on the page is it. thanks again.

peter

Hi,

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

Click the above link and then scroll down to 8. Problems

You can see:

“My CD drives have vanished (from Explorer, Device Manager, etc.)�

This happens quite often if one of the third-party packages has been uninstalled. They add references in the Registry for modules which they use, and these references fail to be removed, leaving Windows unable to find the files apparently needed for CD devices at the next boot. There is a simple Registry patch to correct this (download it here). Before using the patch, be sure to back up the Registry. After using the patch and rebooting, the drives should reappear. Any third party package that is still required will then need to be re-installed.

This problem also may arise if there is underlying trouble with the Input-Output system of the machine: for example, interactions with controllers like Promise or Highpoint, or with special drivers. It may be worth trying a change in the DMA settings for the device in Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager. Under IDE controllers, double click on the Primary or Secondary IDE Channel concerned, then click the tab for the Advanced Settings page.

***click from ***There is a simple Registry patch to correct this (download it here)**
Click the here (underlined in blue color) and save it to a specific folder(do not save it to desktop). Close all other applications and then run the downloaded patch by opening the specific folder and double click the exe file. You may receive warning messages from your antivirus application, just neglect the warning and go ahead.

NOTE: backup the registry before running this patch for just in case.

Start/run/regedit/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Right click on the key and click "EXPORT" then save it to My Document folder.
You can delete this file if the patch has fixed the problems.
If anything happened after applied the patch, you can IMPORT back the backuped reg file.

However, it is much better to backup the whole registries, just run regedit and right click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and the click EXPORT and then save it to My Doc. It will take longer time and the file is much bigger than just backup the DVD/CD rom registry.

My address mokpetc(nospam)@yahoo.com.hk **remove (nospam) for email

Peter

Bryan wrote:

>My hardware is still there but my PC doesn't recognize it anymore. How can get it to recognize it again???? It won't open up or anything. It isn't shown to be a drive in my device manager or under my computer.
>
>Sony Vaio Desktop, XP, PCV-RX580

Probably some driver associated with CD burning has gone AWOL, leaving
orphaned references in the registry. To tidy up, get a registry patch
file, cdgone.reg, from www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip, extract it,
r-click on it and merge it into the registry

You will then need to reinstall any burning software that you *do* use.