Setting up Game Server

Last response: in Video Games
Share
December 29, 2004 1:53:24 AM

Hello to all. First time posting.

I just purchased two copies of Half Life 2, one for me and one for my
brother. I want to setup a server so that we can both play CStrike over the
internet. I have cable he has DSL.

How do I go abouts in setting up a server and what info does my brother
need so that he can connect to my server. I am new to this so I do
apologize for my selection of words.

thanks

More about : setting game server

December 29, 2004 9:14:41 AM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:53:24 -0600, mk <mk@mk.com> wrote:

>How do I go abouts in setting up a server and what info does my brother
>need so that he can connect to my server. I am new to this so I do
>apologize for my selection of words.

In CS select Create Server and choose the appropriate options. Your
brother will need your IP address and select join game, you can get
your IP by going to www.whatismyip.com with a browser.
December 30, 2004 12:38:16 PM

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:53:24 -0600, mk <mk@mk.com> wrote:
>
>>How do I go abouts in setting up a server and what info does my brother
>>need so that he can connect to my server. I am new to this so I do
>>apologize for my selection of words.
>
> In CS select Create Server and choose the appropriate options. Your
> brother will need your IP address and select join game, you can get
> your IP by going to www.whatismyip.com with a browser.

I tried this but am unable to connect to his server or him to mine. I
used the IP address listed in the LAN tap of the CS game and I also used
the one that was given to me bythe www.whatismyip.com.

My cable modem connects to a linksys router, I am wondering if I have to
make any changes to the router setup.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Related resources
December 30, 2004 6:56:00 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:38:16 -0600, mk <mk@mk.com> wrote:

>My cable modem connects to a linksys router, I am wondering if I have to
>make any changes to the router setup.

Google will tell you the ports that need forwarding from the router to
your server PC, and read your router manual to find out how to forward
ports.
January 2, 2005 12:45:24 AM

> I tried this but am unable to connect to his server or him to mine. I
> used the IP address listed in the LAN tap of the CS game and I also used
> the one that was given to me bythe www.whatismyip.com.
>
> My cable modem connects to a linksys router, I am wondering if I have to
> make any changes to the router setup.

Set your pc to be the DMZ in the router setup.
!