Failed to install IDE channels (primary and secondary)

I have a MB with Intel 865 chipset. The storage controller has installed
as "Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers" with the latest drivers
from Intel. However the drivers for the primary and secondary IDE
channels fail to install with a message "Driver is not intended for this
platform".

I have Windows XP Professional 2002 SP1 with the latest updates installed.

How can this problem be solved?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

E.P.

What is the make and model of the mobo? Where did you get
the drivers? Intel makes chipsets and they make mobos, but
other makers may use Intel parts and parts from other makers
to assemble mobos.
Check on the mobo mfg'r web site for drivers listed for your
mobo.

But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.

"Emil Petkov" <emil.petkov@usa.net> wrote in message
| I have a MB with Intel 865 chipset. The storage controller
has installed
| as "Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers" with the
latest drivers
| from Intel. However the drivers for the primary and
secondary IDE
| channels fail to install with a message "Driver is not
intended for this
| platform".
|
| I have Windows XP Professional 2002 SP1 with the latest
updates installed.

| How can this problem be solved?
|
| Any help will be highly appreciated.
|
| E.P.

The Ultra DMA drivers for the Ultra ATA Storage controllers are no longer
part of the Intel Chipset drivers. You need to install the Intel
Application Accelerator software in order to get the Ultra DMA/ATA drivers.

Jim Macklin wrote:
> What is the make and model of the mobo? Where did you get
> the drivers? Intel makes chipsets and they make mobos, but
> other makers may use Intel parts and parts from other makers
> to assemble mobos.
> Check on the mobo mfg'r web site for drivers listed for your
> mobo.

Alas, it is an MS-7048 OEM mobo for Medion desktops - no support from
MSI. Medion offers a download for the Intel Chipset (it is on the driver
disk for the computer as well) - it installs the IDE controller but (as
I can see in the ich5ide.inf) refers to Microsoft's mshdc.inf for the
primary and secondary IDE channels.

You might be able to do some self-help on the MSI website.
Do they have a retail version of your mobo?

Yves Leclerc wrote:

> The Ultra DMA drivers for the Ultra ATA Storage controllers are no longer
> part of the Intel Chipset drivers. You need to install the Intel
> Application Accelerator software in order to get the Ultra DMA/ATA drivers.

The IDE controller as I have already mentioned is Intel 82801EB. The
Ultra ATA driver 6.20 says it is incompatible (82801EB did not exist at
the time it was distributed). The IAA (last version - 2.3 I guess) says
more or less the same. 82801EB is not listed in the "System
Requirements" section of readme.txt of both the IAA and the Ultra ATA
driver.

BTW, Intel says that IAA does not support ICH5 but only ICH5R (RAID).
(http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/CS-009292.htm)

Jim Macklin wrote:
> You might be able to do some self-help on the MSI website.
> Do they have a retail version of your mobo?

I haven't been able to find any info on whatever correspondence between
my motherboard and a retail version from MSI. I am pretty sure that the
answer to your question is "no".

Have you considered a mobo upgrade to a supported retail
product that would use you current CPU and other hardware?
You could even upgrade to a faster mobo and CPU.

Maybe somebody else has a better solution.
Good Luck

Emil Petkov wrote:

> I have a MB with Intel 865 chipset. The storage controller has installed
> as "Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers" with the latest drivers
> from Intel. However the drivers for the primary and secondary IDE
> channels fail to install with a message "Driver is not intended for this
> platform".
>
> I have Windows XP Professional 2002 SP1 with the latest updates installed.
>
> How can this problem be solved?
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.
>
> E.P.

I guess the problem is somewhere else. I replaced the driver for the
storage controller with the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"
and when trying to install the two IDE channels Windows still fails
twice with the message "Driver is not intended for this platform".

E.P.

Jim Macklin wrote:

> Have you considered a mobo upgrade to a supported retail
> product that would use you current CPU and other hardware?
> You could even upgrade to a faster mobo and CPU.
>
> Maybe somebody else has a better solution.
> Good Luck

It is fast enough - got it less than a month ago, Pentium VI 3.0 MHz
Hyperthreading. Somehow I am not prepared to invest in another mobo just
to solve this nasty problem. There should be a cheaper solution ;)

Emil Petkov wrote:

> Emil Petkov wrote:
>
>> I have a MB with Intel 865 chipset. The storage controller has
>> installed as "Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers" with the
>> latest drivers from Intel. However the drivers for the primary and
>> secondary IDE channels fail to install with a message "Driver is not
>> intended for this platform".
>>
>> I have Windows XP Professional 2002 SP1 with the latest updates
>> installed.
>>
>> How can this problem be solved?
>>
>> Any help will be highly appreciated.
>>
>> E.P.
>

> I guess the problem is somewhere else. I replaced the driver for the
> storage controller with the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"
> and when trying to install the two IDE channels Windows still fails
> twice with the message "Driver is not intended for this platform".
>
> E.P.

Discovered that the problem is caused by Daemon Tools. After
uninstalling it the problem disappears.

E.P.