P4C800 Dlx wont come out of standby

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
March 30, 2004 1:25:11 PM

My P4C800 DLX, bios 1016, 2 Maxtor 120 SATA HDs Win XP pro. Will come out
of standby after a short period, but after an extended period seems to
attempt to but
nothing shows up on the monitor.

I have taken out everything but the video card (ati aiw 8500 drivers are MS
sined), I removed all non MS services and all startup items via msconfig. I
have tried every BIOS option I can think of. and it still wont resume from
standby (s2 or s3). All software installed has worked on other
installations. The only varable is the MB and the SATA drives. and it
still wont resume from standby (s2 or s3).
March 30, 2004 1:25:12 PM

Same setup but I am not using BIOS 1016. Don't need this BIOS because I
don't have a cpu that needs it. Still running 1014 and there are now issues.
P4C800 E DLX 2 Sata drives and WinXP Pro AIW 8500
"mjb" <mjb@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o 7idnbr28LGmHvTdRVn-vg@adelphia.com...
> My P4C800 DLX, bios 1016, 2 Maxtor 120 SATA HDs Win XP pro. Will come out
> of standby after a short period, but after an extended period seems to
> attempt to but
> nothing shows up on the monitor.
>
> I have taken out everything but the video card (ati aiw 8500 drivers are
MS
> sined), I removed all non MS services and all startup items via msconfig.
> have tried every BIOS option I can think of. and it still wont resume from
> standby (s2 or s3). All software installed has worked on other
> installations. The only varable is the MB and the SATA drives. and it
> still wont resume from standby (s2 or s3).

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 30, 2004 11:48:23 PM

"mjb" <mjb@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o 7idnbr28LGmHvTdRVn-vg@adelphia.com...
> My P4C800 DLX, bios 1016, 2 Maxtor 120 SATA HDs Win XP pro. Will come out
> of standby after a short period, but after an extended period seems to
> attempt to but
> nothing shows up on the monitor.
>
> I have taken out everything but the video card (ati aiw 8500 drivers are
MS
> sined), I removed all non MS services and all startup items via msconfig.
> have tried every BIOS option I can think of. and it still wont resume from
> standby (s2 or s3). All software installed has worked on other
> installations. The only varable is the MB and the SATA drives. and it
> still wont resume from standby (s2 or s3).

It may not be software.

I've seen this with bad memory or cheaper power supply.
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2004 12:37:43 AM

>>still wont resume from standby (s2 or s3).

But still no problems with hibernate? Someone suggested looking into the
memory or the power supply. Good suggestion since standby stores the
resumption configuration in memory unlike hibernate which stores it on the
HDD. Also, the power supply powers the memory while in standby. Try
reseating the memory first.

Another thing you should note about troubleshooting possible hardware
problems - It pays to have at least two (not necessarily identical) of
everything.

"mjb" <mjb@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o 7idnbr28LGmHvTdRVn-vg@adelphia.com...
> My P4C800 DLX, bios 1016, 2 Maxtor 120 SATA HDs Win XP pro. Will come out
> of standby after a short period, but after an extended period seems to
> attempt to but
> nothing shows up on the monitor.
>
> I have taken out everything but the video card (ati aiw 8500 drivers are
MS
> sined), I removed all non MS services and all startup items via msconfig.
> have tried every BIOS option I can think of. and it still wont resume from
> standby (s2 or s3). All software installed has worked on other
> installations. The only varable is the MB and the SATA drives. and it
> still wont resume from standby (s2 or s3).

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2004 3:58:01 AM

Are your SATA drives set up in RAID?

"Don" <cpupro@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Same setup but I am not using BIOS 1016. Don't need this BIOS because I
> don't have a cpu that needs it. Still running 1014 and there are now
issues.
> P4C800 E DLX 2 Sata drives and WinXP Pro AIW 8500
> "mjb" <mjb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7idnbr28LGmHvTdRVn-vg@adelphia.com...
> > My P4C800 DLX, bios 1016, 2 Maxtor 120 SATA HDs Win XP pro. Will come
out
> > of standby after a short period, but after an extended period seems to
> > attempt to but
> > nothing shows up on the monitor.
> >
> > I have taken out everything but the video card (ati aiw 8500 drivers are
> MS
> > sined), I removed all non MS services and all startup items via
msconfig.
> > have tried every BIOS option I can think of. and it still wont resume
from
> > standby (s2 or s3). All software installed has worked on other
> > installations. The only varable is the MB and the SATA drives. and it
> > still wont resume from standby (s2 or s3).

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2004 2:13:36 AM

Are you using cordless mouse and keyboard ?

If so, check the batteries. I have experienced similar problems with other
system configurations due too the low batteries.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2004 5:47:19 PM

I have a similar problem with my P4C800E-deluxe and my IBM-Hitachi SATA boot
drive (connected to the Intel SATA controller, not to the Promise RAID).
When trying to resume from S3 mode, I either get a blue screen or the screen
hangs at the desktop wallpaper, requiring a hard reboot. The system resumes
OK from S1 mode, though, and it had worked fine in S3 mode with an ATA133
boot drive (that is, until the drive died).

I asked Hitachi tech support about this and here is their reply:

"... Basically, the driver and BIOS combination for the system is not
allowing the drive enough time to spin back up after being in power saving.
I originally thought that the latest version of the BIOS (version 1016)
would address this issue, but it seems that it doesn't.
At this point, I need to direct you to Asus for any further updates or
troubleshooting that they might be able to provide. Hopefully, they will be
able to supply an updated driver and BIOS for you that will eliminate this
issue."

I relayed this information to Asus tech support, and I haven't heard back
from them.

Maybe the folks at Asus read these posts... I hope so.

Jon

"mjb" <mjb@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o 7idnbr28LGmHvTdRVn-vg@adelphia.com...
> My P4C800 DLX, bios 1016, 2 Maxtor 120 SATA HDs Win XP pro. Will come out
> of standby after a short period, but after an extended period seems to
> attempt to but
> nothing shows up on the monitor.
>
> I have taken out everything but the video card (ati aiw 8500 drivers are
MS
> sined), I removed all non MS services and all startup items via msconfig.
> have tried every BIOS option I can think of. and it still wont resume from
> standby (s2 or s3). All software installed has worked on other
> installations. The only varable is the MB and the SATA drives. and it
> still wont resume from standby (s2 or s3).

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2004 11:05:18 PM

I am having a similar problem with a Maxtor drive. Has anyone found a
solution for this?

"condraj" <condraj1spamtrap@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<_qqdneKlfdAnm_Ld4p2dnA@comcast.com>...
> I have a similar problem with my P4C800E-deluxe and my IBM-Hitachi SATA boot
> drive (connected to the Intel SATA controller, not to the Promise RAID).
> When trying to resume from S3 mode, I either get a blue screen or the screen
> hangs at the desktop wallpaper, requiring a hard reboot. The system resumes
> OK from S1 mode, though, and it had worked fine in S3 mode with an ATA133
> boot drive (that is, until the drive died).
>
> I asked Hitachi tech support about this and here is their reply:
>
> "... Basically, the driver and BIOS combination for the system is not
> allowing the drive enough time to spin back up after being in power saving.
> I originally thought that the latest version of the BIOS (version 1016)
> would address this issue, but it seems that it doesn't.
> At this point, I need to direct you to Asus for any further updates or
> troubleshooting that they might be able to provide. Hopefully, they will be
> able to supply an updated driver and BIOS for you that will eliminate this
> issue."
>
> I relayed this information to Asus tech support, and I haven't heard back
> from them.
>
> Maybe the folks at Asus read these posts... I hope so.
>
> Jon
>

> "mjb" <mjb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7idnbr28LGmHvTdRVn-vg@adelphia.com...
> > My P4C800 DLX, bios 1016, 2 Maxtor 120 SATA HDs Win XP pro. Will come out
> > of standby after a short period, but after an extended period seems to
> > attempt to but
> > nothing shows up on the monitor.
> >
> > I have taken out everything but the video card (ati aiw 8500 drivers are
> MS
> > sined), I removed all non MS services and all startup items via msconfig.
> > have tried every BIOS option I can think of. and it still wont resume from
> > standby (s2 or s3). All software installed has worked on other
> > installations. The only varable is the MB and the SATA drives. and it
> > still wont resume from standby (s2 or s3).

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2004 5:08:34 PM

Hello All,

It seems that this problem is definitely connected to the motherboard,
and not the disks. The solution will hopefully come from Asus in a
post-1016 BIOS...

I'm not myself in contact with the Asus Support, but I know that few
people are.
Please try to share any information on this active forum. Many people
are experiencing the same kind of trouble:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread/t-64425.html

Regards.

eran_shtiegman@yahoo.com (Eran) wrote in message news:<a9185f1c.0404171805.6c498f24@posting.google.com>...
> I am having a similar problem with a Maxtor drive. Has anyone found a
> solution for this?
April 20, 2004 12:35:29 PM

I have ECC ram. I disabled the ECC funtion in the BIOS and now it comes out
of standby (S3). Go figure??? I also was getting a hang coming out of
hibernate and found that is was a USB device (mem card reader) that was
connected. When I unplugged it worked fine.
!