"?" <asldyga@eroiurt.com> wrote in message
news:41d2c117$0$21331$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
> Does the non-retail version of counter strike mean that it is free, or they
> just don'yt sell it in shops?

It is free if you own a copy of the original half-life. You need a CD key to
play on-line. I think Opposing Force CD Key works too and maybe blue shift. If
you don't have Half-Life or CS and want to get into it then I would suggest
buying a copy of half-life (they are very cheap) and then going to
www.steampowered.com and downloading and installing steam. Don't bother
installing your new copy of half-life as any CD currently in shops will be so
out of date that everything will be replaced by patches anyway. Just register
your steam account with your CD Key and let steam download the latest versions.

Alternatively, if you have a decent PC you could bypass the original
counterstrike altogether and go for CounterStrike:Source which is based on the
Half-Life 2 Source Engine and looks much nicer. You can get that by downloading
steam from www.steampowered.com and then buying and downloading the game through
steam or you can buy half-life 2 on disk from a shop and CS:Source is on the
disk too.

Either way you will need a steam account to play online with the latest
versions. Older versions are still running that don't require steam because some
people hate steam and want to live in the past but steam has been pretty stable
for ages now and is your best bet for getting the most fun out of the game.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Excellent info, thanks.

I bought Half Life 2 and installed CS Source and set up a steam account -
fine, all works real well.

Thing is I have a home network and wanted to have people around to play
amangst other things CS

A friend owns the original Halflife. If I install that on my second PC and
update it as much as possible, will I be able to play CS on both machines?
I assume not as one is based on HL2 engine and the other on HL1 engine?

I am thinking the only way then to do this is to go buy another copy of HL2.
Unless you can buy the new CS on it's own?

Cheers

> Excellent info, thanks.
>
> I bought Half Life 2 and installed CS Source and set up a steam account -
> fine, all works real well.
>
> Thing is I have a home network and wanted to have people around to play
> amangst other things CS
>
> A friend owns the original Halflife. If I install that on my second PC and
> update it as much as possible, will I be able to play CS on both machines? I
> assume not as one is based on HL2 engine and the other on HL1 engine?
>
> I am thinking the only way then to do this is to go buy another copy of HL2.
> Unless you can buy the new CS on it's own?

Sadly the only way to legally play CS or CS:S or any steam based game on a LAN
is to have 1 copy per PC. There are some cracked versions around but most of
them include viruses and could result in your legitimate CD Key being banned by
valve making it useless on-line.

CS:S is only available when bought with HL2 at the moment.

If you want cheap LAN fun then you could buy a copy of the original Half-Life
(it's around 10 UK pounds) and use that along with your friend's original CS.
Not only do you get HL1 but you get the original CS and Day of Defeat too which
are all great games.

? wrote:
> Excellent info, thanks.
>
> I bought Half Life 2 and installed CS Source and set up a steam
> account - fine, all works real well.
>
> Thing is I have a home network and wanted to have people around to
> play amangst other things CS
>
> A friend owns the original Halflife. If I install that on my second
> PC and update it as much as possible, will I be able to play CS on
> both machines? I assume not as one is based on HL2 engine and the
> other on HL1 engine?

Up to counter-strike 1.6 runs on HL1. 1.6 requires steam (1.5 & prior does
not).

CS Source (often called CSS or CS:S) runs on HL2 and requires steam.

Of course there are cracked versions of all of these which can be used for
LAN play without steam buy these are no good if you want to play online.

> I am thinking the only way then to do this is to go buy another copy
> of HL2. Unless you can buy the new CS on it's own?

From memory CS:S was made available to all who bought HL2 or Opposing Force.

--
damien clan .
@ mcbain com

there's no place like 127.0.0.1

"?" <asldyga@eroiurt.com> wrote in message
> A friend owns the original Halflife.

> I am thinking the only way then to do this is to go buy another
> copy of HL2. Unless you can buy the new CS on it's own?

Depending on what version of HL2 you bought, it comes with the
original CS and you should be able to download/install that to go
head to head against your friend.
--
CingularDuality