Bad Sector Repair

April 21, 2004 2:51:03 PM

I have 368 KB in bad sectors

I've looked thru the postings in this group and elsewhere and it appears
that this MAY be fixed, but I've seen confusing suggestions

chkdsk/f
chkdsk /f
chkdsk /r
chkdsk/f/r
chkdsk c: /r

what's the difference?

with or w/out a space after chkdsk?
--
Barry

More about : bad sector repair

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 2:51:04 PM

Follow this link for detailed description:

http://www.ss64.com/nt/chkdsk.html

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:50:40 PM

Thanks

--
Barry

"sgopus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Follow this link for detailed description:
>
> http://www.ss64.com/nt/chkdsk.html

April 22, 2004 3:49:52 AM

HI,

Just run chkdsk /? for help on options available for this command. you will
get full description of all the options available.

Harish.G

April 22, 2004 5:57:36 AM

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:51:03 -0500, "Brynk" <Brynk@InDirectpc.com>

>I have 368 KB in bad sectors

Replace the HD.

>I've looked thru the postings in this group and elsewhere and it appears
>that this MAY be fixed, but I've seen confusing suggestions

>chkdsk/f
>chkdsk /f

Auto-fixes file system logic errors

>chkdsk /r

Auto-fixes file system logic errors and tests for surface errors

>chkdsk/f/r

Redundant; /r implies /f

>chkdsk c: /r

Specifies C: as drive to operate on

Don't do any of the above. Get your data off the sick HD and replace
it - you cannot wish away a dying HD surface via these band-aids.

Running Windows-based av to kill active malware is like striking
a match to see if what you are standing in is water or petrol.