frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi!
Has anyone used this board:
ASUS CUV4X-E
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket370/cuv4x-e/spec.mht
with this processor:
Pentium 3 Coppermine PPGA 800EB/133mhz/256 cache
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL4MB&ProcFam=25&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL .
Or will it run unstable, since it only lists FC-PGA Pentium support in the
specs?
I know some boards, like the Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X, will not run stable with
the PPGA Pentiums, only FC-PGA chips.
Thanks.

Frank schrieb:

> Hi!
> Has anyone used this board:
> ASUS CUV4X-E
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket370/cuv4x-e/spec.mht
> with this processor:
> Pentium 3 Coppermine PPGA 800EB/133mhz/256 cache
> http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL4MB&ProcFam=25&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL .
> Or will it run unstable, since it only lists FC-PGA Pentium support in the
> specs?

Coppermine and PPGA exclude each other. A Coppermine always comes in
FC-PGA or FC-PGA2, but never in PPGA. So assuming that's just a dumb
error in the database, this processor will run fine.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Stephan Grossklass wrote:
> Frank schrieb:
>
>>Hi!
>>Has anyone used this board:
>>ASUS CUV4X-E
>>http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket370/cuv4x-e/spec.mht
>>with this processor:
>>Pentium 3 Coppermine PPGA 800EB/133mhz/256 cache
>>http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL4MB&ProcFam=25&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL .
>>Or will it run unstable, since it only lists FC-PGA Pentium support in the
>>specs?
>

> Coppermine and PPGA exclude each other. A Coppermine always comes in
> FC-PGA or FC-PGA2, but never in PPGA. So assuming that's just a dumb
> error in the database, this processor will run fine.
It's not only one dumb error - some time ago intel majorly screwed up
the packaging info in their database, now ppga, ppga2 (whatever that
is), fc-pga, fc-pga1, and fc-pga2 (and combinations of these...) are all
over the place pretty randomly for both PIII and Celerons.
But of course I agree, this piii is fc-pga and will run just fine.

Roland