slot t upgrade

TAB

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the previous info on processor upgrades. I was ready to order a
slot t adapter and a tualatin processor, but I came across an overclockers
web site that had a few post about burned out MoBos. Seemed to be all Abit
boards. Do I need to worry about this with the slot t adapter and an Asus
board (P3B-F)? Also, will the BIOS determine the proper settings with this
upgrade or will I have to manually set the voltages and speeds?

Thanks,

Tab

Tab wrote:

> Thanks for the previous info on processor upgrades. I was ready to order a
> slot t adapter and a tualatin processor, but I came across an overclockers
> web site that had a few post about burned out MoBos. Seemed to be all Abit
> boards. Do I need to worry about this with the slot t adapter and an Asus
> board (P3B-F)? Also, will the BIOS determine the proper settings with this
> upgrade or will I have to manually set the voltages and speeds?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tab

The voltage regulators on Abit Slot-1 BX boards do tend to fail
prematurely under the power demands of Tualatin processors. Asus Slot-1
BX boards don't suffer from that problem. Slot-T and Tualatin will work
fine.

The Slot-T default jumper settings don't need changing. You do need to
make sure you are running the latest BIOS before installing the upgrade,
from there it should be plug'n'play.

P2B

Paul

Splendid

In article <E4sac.10391$j57.653657@news20.bellglobal.com>, P2B
<p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Tab wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the previous info on processor upgrades. I was ready to order a
> > slot t adapter and a tualatin processor, but I came across an overclockers
> > web site that had a few post about burned out MoBos. Seemed to be all Abit
> > boards. Do I need to worry about this with the slot t adapter and an Asus
> > board (P3B-F)? Also, will the BIOS determine the proper settings with this
> > upgrade or will I have to manually set the voltages and speeds?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tab
>
> The voltage regulators on Abit Slot-1 BX boards do tend to fail
> prematurely under the power demands of Tualatin processors. Asus Slot-1
> BX boards don't suffer from that problem. Slot-T and Tualatin will work
> fine.
>
> The Slot-T default jumper settings don't need changing. You do need to
> make sure you are running the latest BIOS before installing the upgrade,
> from there it should be plug'n'play.
>
> P2B

It is a minor issue, but if you get a warning from the BIOS about
microcode, check this page:

http://www.tipperlinne.com/bios6b4.htm

My personal preference is the "CMOS Update Method", as it doesn't
involve the risk of flashing the whole BIOS again.

HTH,
Paul