Does FPS affect Rates - CS

Hi
I got my Rates in CS set to 20000,90,90 and it seems fine (no loss or choke)
I run at FPS 80

My question is..Does your FPS affect your rates. ie Bandwith or does it
only affect ure local (My PC)
Im not sure if the higher ure FPS then the more ure hogging the server and
stressing ure download/upload
Ta CSX
4 answers Last reply
More about does affect rates

    "CSX" <csx1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I got my Rates in CS set to 20000,90,90 and it seems fine (no loss or choke)
    > I run at FPS 80
    >
    > My question is..Does your FPS affect your rates. ie Bandwith or does it only
    > affect ure local (My PC)
    > Im not sure if the higher ure FPS then the more ure hogging the server and
    > stressing ure download/upload

    fps is purely a local thing and has no affect on data sent or received.

    CSX wrote:
    > Hi
    > I got my Rates in CS set to 20000,90,90 and it seems fine (no loss or
    > choke) I run at FPS 80
    >
    > My question is..Does your FPS affect your rates. ie Bandwith or does
    > it only affect ure local (My PC)
    > Im not sure if the higher ure FPS then the more ure hogging the
    > server and stressing ure download/upload
    > Ta CSX

    Unrelated.

    FPS is the number of frames per second you video hardware and the software
    (game) are generating.

    Rates are the number of packets per second sent from the client to the
    server (cl_cmdrate) and vice versa (cl_updaterate). See
    http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=netcode+101&hl=en&lr=&selm=MPG.17fa7e121120fa319897b7%40news-server.columbus.rr.com&rnum=1
    for a full explanation. It relates specifically to pre-steam CS but is still
    valid in terms of its definition.

    --
    damien clan .
    @ mcbain com

    there's no place like 127.0.0.1

    I found this lot out

    rates=the rate at which traffic is transferred between you and the server
    FPS = Frames per second

    Ideally, you want your rate configured to match your FPS (where possible) as
    this will give you the most accurate reflection of your shots, and position
    within the game.

    Basically, the game does the following (although im sure that more
    knowledgeable ppl will correct this!)
    1) You fire
    2) Your position is reported to the server (and the postition at which you
    are aiming)
    3) The server calculates whether you hit (taking into consideration a whole
    raft of local and server settings, including lag compensation)
    4) The server takes the appropriate action and reports it back to all
    players

    The thing to note here, is that the animations on your screen may not
    accurately reflect the servers interpretation of events - e.g. you get shot
    when you are behind a wall by an AWPer - as far as the server is concerned,
    the shot made by the AWPer, was made while you were in the open, but the
    inherent delay in online gaming gives you the impression that you were safe.
    The server has calculated tyhat you were hit, but your pc has "guessed"
    ahead, and provided tha animations that show you are safely behind a wall.
    Once the server sends the instruction to the client that the hit was good,
    you die. This helps explain some of those "But I was behind a wall ffs"
    moments.

    As long as your FPS and rate settings are in synch (eg your cl_updaterate
    and cl_cmdrate are set to accurately reflect your Actual (average) FPS, you
    should get a relatively accurate reflection in game, of what the server is
    seeing, and acting upon.

    basically Set FPS to ure cl_cmdrate

    http://www.clan-uke.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=40

    CSX

    "CSX" <csx1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I got my Rates in CS set to 20000,90,90 and it seems fine (no loss or
    > choke)
    > I run at FPS 80
    >
    > My question is..Does your FPS affect your rates. ie Bandwith or does it
    > only affect ure local (My PC)
    > Im not sure if the higher ure FPS then the more ure hogging the server and
    > stressing ure download/upload
    > Ta CSX

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    well you can shoot through wall :P and still make hs

    --
    http://www.big-forum.com
    --

    >I found this lot out
    >
    > rates=the rate at which traffic is transferred between you and the server
    > FPS = Frames per second
    >
    > Ideally, you want your rate configured to match your FPS (where possible)
    > as this will give you the most accurate reflection of your shots, and
    > position within the game.
    >
    > Basically, the game does the following (although im sure that more
    > knowledgeable ppl will correct this!)
    > 1) You fire
    > 2) Your position is reported to the server (and the postition at which you
    > are aiming)
    > 3) The server calculates whether you hit (taking into consideration a
    > whole raft of local and server settings, including lag compensation)
    > 4) The server takes the appropriate action and reports it back to all
    > players
    >
    > The thing to note here, is that the animations on your screen may not
    > accurately reflect the servers interpretation of events - e.g. you get
    > shot when you are behind a wall by an AWPer - as far as the server is
    > concerned, the shot made by the AWPer, was made while you were in the
    > open, but the inherent delay in online gaming gives you the impression
    > that you were safe. The server has calculated tyhat you were hit, but your
    > pc has "guessed" ahead, and provided tha animations that show you are
    > safely behind a wall. Once the server sends the instruction to the client
    > that the hit was good, you die. This helps explain some of those "But I
    > was behind a wall ffs" moments.
    >
    > As long as your FPS and rate settings are in synch (eg your cl_updaterate
    > and cl_cmdrate are set to accurately reflect your Actual (average) FPS,
    > you should get a relatively accurate reflection in game, of what the
    > server is seeing, and acting upon.
    >
    > basically Set FPS to ure cl_cmdrate
    >
    > http://www.clan-uke.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=40
    >
    > CSX
    >

    > "CSX" <csx1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I got my Rates in CS set to 20000,90,90 and it seems fine (no loss or
    >> choke)
    >> I run at FPS 80
    >>
    >> My question is..Does your FPS affect your rates. ie Bandwith or does it
    >> only affect ure local (My PC)
    >> Im not sure if the higher ure FPS then the more ure hogging the server
    >> and stressing ure download/upload
    >> Ta CSX

Internet Explorer Games FPS Video Games