master slave drives install problem

My computer setup is as follows:

windows xp pro sp1
Asus P4PE motherboard
Seagate 80GB connected to Primary IDE
Pioneer 106-a DVD-RW connected to Secondary IDE with jumper set to Master

I have an old Samsung sd-608 DVD-ROM and I want to connect it as a slave to my Pioneer 106-a. But when I tried to connect it as a slave with its jumper set to Slave, my operating system at bootup now says that 'no IDE hard disk is detected'. So I disconnected the slave drive and the same error message keeps appearing at bootup. Obviously something has screwed up, but what? I connected the power cord only to the slave drive and the tray opens and closes okay. But when I attach it to the master/slave cable, I get the error message again. Even when I totally remove the slave drive, the same message appears. So now I can't even use my original DVD drive as before. Any ideas?

"gillian" <gillian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My computer setup is as follows:
>
> windows xp pro sp1
> Asus P4PE motherboard
> Seagate 80GB connected to Primary IDE
> Pioneer 106-a DVD-RW connected to Secondary IDE with jumper set to Master
>
> I have an old Samsung sd-608 DVD-ROM and I want to connect it as a slave
to my Pioneer 106-a. But when I tried to connect it as a slave with its
jumper set to Slave, my operating system at bootup now says that 'no IDE
hard disk is detected'. So I disconnected the slave drive and the same
error message keeps appearing at bootup. Obviously something has screwed
up, but what? I connected the power cord only to the slave drive and the
tray opens and closes okay. But when I attach it to the master/slave cable,
I get the error message again. Even when I totally remove the slave drive,
the same message appears. So now I can't even use my original DVD drive as
before. Any ideas?

Your DVD drive might have failed. Try connecting it as a primary slave.