Connecting a laptop to broadband

Hi there
I am hoping shortly to purchase a new laptop, probably a Tiny Power
Mediabook. I would like to connect this wirelessly to the Internet via my
Wanadoo broadband internet account but am not sure what I would need to
do/buy to achieve this. Will I need some sort of wireless ADSL router and a
card to slot into the laptop? Also someoe said to me today that I would
also need another host PC to be wired up to the router before it would
work - is this right? I was rather hoping that I could accomplish this with
just one pc - my new laptop and no wires! I'd be very grateful for any
guidance anyone could give me please.
4 answers Last reply
More about connecting laptop broadband

    If you have a broadband connections then that;s good, building a multi-homed
    PC is tough if you;re not familiar. In short, you need a wireless 802.11g
    broadband router e.g Linksys, Netgear or Belkin, and buy an 802.11 g
    card.....it can run up to 54MBPS...

    If you;re laptop has a built in wireless chip, then chances are you don;t
    need to buy an external card...

    Good luck..

    "David Gartrell" wrote:

    > Hi there
    > I am hoping shortly to purchase a new laptop, probably a Tiny Power
    > Mediabook. I would like to connect this wirelessly to the Internet via my
    > Wanadoo broadband internet account but am not sure what I would need to
    > do/buy to achieve this. Will I need some sort of wireless ADSL router and a
    > card to slot into the laptop? Also someoe said to me today that I would
    > also need another host PC to be wired up to the router before it would
    > work - is this right? I was rather hoping that I could accomplish this with
    > just one pc - my new laptop and no wires! I'd be very grateful for any
    > guidance anyone could give me please.

    Cheers thanks very much for your advice.

    Yes the laptop I'm hoping to get already has an 802.11b wireless adaptor
    built in so all I should need is an 802.11b broadband router and I should'nt
    need any other 'host' PC. Is that right?

    "Gcorpuz" <Gcorpuz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If you have a broadband connections then that;s good, building a
    > multi-homed
    > PC is tough if you;re not familiar. In short, you need a wireless 802.11g
    > broadband router e.g Linksys, Netgear or Belkin, and buy an 802.11 g
    > card.....it can run up to 54MBPS...
    >
    > If you;re laptop has a built in wireless chip, then chances are you don;t
    > need to buy an external card...
    >
    > Good luck..
    >

    > "David Gartrell" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there
    >> I am hoping shortly to purchase a new laptop, probably a Tiny Power
    >> Mediabook. I would like to connect this wirelessly to the Internet via
    >> my
    >> Wanadoo broadband internet account but am not sure what I would need to
    >> do/buy to achieve this. Will I need some sort of wireless ADSL router and
    >> card to slot into the laptop? Also someoe said to me today that I would
    >> also need another host PC to be wired up to the router before it would
    >> work - is this right? I was rather hoping that I could accomplish this
    >> with
    >> just one pc - my new laptop and no wires! I'd be very grateful for any
    >> guidance anyone could give me please.

    Indeed, the convenience of built-in wireless card is that..

    -not bulky when you travel..
    -most new laptops today usually came in with a built-in Intel Centrino

    So just buy the Wireless broadband route and you;re set to go.

    To give a broader view, 802.11a uses 5 GHZ and it's very expensive to buy
    802.11a equipment

    802.11b and 802.11g is very common these days,both operates a 2 GHZ and
    there;s a lot of wireless cards and routers out there....dirt cheap as cheap

    Good luck and have fun...

    "David Gartrell" wrote:

    > Cheers thanks very much for your advice.
    >
    > Yes the laptop I'm hoping to get already has an 802.11b wireless adaptor
    > built in so all I should need is an 802.11b broadband router and I should'nt
    > need any other 'host' PC. Is that right?
    >

    > "Gcorpuz" <Gcorpuz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > If you have a broadband connections then that;s good, building a
    > > multi-homed
    > > PC is tough if you;re not familiar. In short, you need a wireless 802.11g
    > > broadband router e.g Linksys, Netgear or Belkin, and buy an 802.11 g
    > > card.....it can run up to 54MBPS...
    > >
    > > If you;re laptop has a built in wireless chip, then chances are you don;t
    > > need to buy an external card...
    > >
    > > Good luck..
    > >

    > > "David Gartrell" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi there
    > >> I am hoping shortly to purchase a new laptop, probably a Tiny Power
    > >> Mediabook. I would like to connect this wirelessly to the Internet via
    > >> my
    > >> Wanadoo broadband internet account but am not sure what I would need to
    > >> do/buy to achieve this. Will I need some sort of wireless ADSL router and
    > >> card to slot into the laptop? Also someoe said to me today that I would
    > >> also need another host PC to be wired up to the router before it would
    > >> work - is this right? I was rather hoping that I could accomplish this
    > >> with
    > >> just one pc - my new laptop and no wires! I'd be very grateful for any
    > >> guidance anyone could give me please.

    The difficulty is when you are setting up. This is because you need a PC
    connected to the router to use the web based router setup. If your wireless
    PC does not instantly connect to the router and that will probably be the
    case, this becomes impossible. Thus it is normally recommended to have a
    wired connection for setup. In this way, the PC is always connected to the
    router and the necessary IP address can be called even if the PC is not yet
    connecting to the main network. Of course, the wired and wireless
    connections can be with the same PC. The wired link is used for setup,
    switching this off, in favour of the wireless connection, when done.

    Mike Bernstein

    "David Gartrell" <davsarg@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Cheers thanks very much for your advice.
    >
    > Yes the laptop I'm hoping to get already has an 802.11b wireless adaptor
    > built in so all I should need is an 802.11b broadband router and I
    > should'nt need any other 'host' PC. Is that right?
    >

    > "Gcorpuz" <Gcorpuz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> If you have a broadband connections then that;s good, building a
    >> multi-homed
    >> PC is tough if you;re not familiar. In short, you need a wireless 802.11g
    >> broadband router e.g Linksys, Netgear or Belkin, and buy an 802.11 g
    >> card.....it can run up to 54MBPS...
    >>
    >> If you;re laptop has a built in wireless chip, then chances are you don;t
    >> need to buy an external card...
    >>
    >> Good luck..
    >>

    >> "David Gartrell" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there
    >>> I am hoping shortly to purchase a new laptop, probably a Tiny Power
    >>> Mediabook. I would like to connect this wirelessly to the Internet via
    >>> my
    >>> Wanadoo broadband internet account but am not sure what I would need to
    >>> do/buy to achieve this. Will I need some sort of wireless ADSL router
    >>> and a
    >>> card to slot into the laptop? Also someoe said to me today that I would
    >>> also need another host PC to be wired up to the router before it would
    >>> work - is this right? I was rather hoping that I could accomplish this
    >>> with
    >>> just one pc - my new laptop and no wires! I'd be very grateful for any
    >>> guidance anyone could give me please.

Laptops Broadband Wireless Wireless Networking