Asus A7N8x-E and 9600XT startup problems

I've seen this problem on here a couple of times before but no solutions
have been presented. I was wondering if there was anymore information now.

Basically my PC doesn't always start correctly, full spec below but it's
an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe with ASUS Radeon 9600XT graphics card.
Sometimes on switch on the computer fails to start. The fans and drives
start but there is no video or TV output. Also there is no BIOS beep or
POST messages. When it hangs like this the only way to boot it is to
remove the graphics card, attempt to start again, which produces a
correct POST message and the replace the card and start again. I've only
had the system for a month and don't switch off very often so am not
sure of the frequency of failure.

System
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
ASUS Radeon 9600XT
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (thoroughbred not overclocked)
Corsair Value Select DDR PC 2700 2*256MB
Seagate SATA drive
350W PSU

--
Steven
10 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    Check your CPU Cooler if it fits good .
    Worked for me

    jeff

    "Steven Roberts" <SJRoberts@no2spam.bigfoot.com> schreef in bericht
    > I've seen this problem on here a couple of times before but no solutions
    > have been presented. I was wondering if there was anymore information now.
    >
    > Basically my PC doesn't always start correctly, full spec below but it's
    > an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe with ASUS Radeon 9600XT graphics card.
    > Sometimes on switch on the computer fails to start. The fans and drives
    > start but there is no video or TV output. Also there is no BIOS beep or
    > POST messages. When it hangs like this the only way to boot it is to
    > remove the graphics card, attempt to start again, which produces a
    > correct POST message and the replace the card and start again. I've only
    > had the system for a month and don't switch off very often so am not
    > sure of the frequency of failure.
    >
    > System
    > ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    > ASUS Radeon 9600XT
    > AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (thoroughbred not overclocked)
    > Corsair Value Select DDR PC 2700 2*256MB
    > Seagate SATA drive
    > 350W PSU
    >
    > --
    > Steven

    Hmm. Steven, is there any chance the vidcard is improperly seated? Also,
    have you verified that all connectors are securely seated?

    I ask because this sounds a bit like one of those annoying issues that SEEMS
    to be vidcard-related, but turns out to be a loose connector somewhere which
    gets bumped *during the re & re of the vidcard*.

    Please post a follow-up.
    Ron

    "Ron" <pls-reply2group@urleisure.ca> wrote in message news:<kWOac.2058$Xy3.7399@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>...
    > Hmm. Steven, is there any chance the vidcard is improperly seated? Also,
    > have you verified that all connectors are securely seated?

    It's always possible that the card isn't seated correctly but I have
    checked this and feel confident that it is ok. I have even removed the
    mobo from the case to check that there are no 'extra' mounting lugs
    causing a shorting problem.

    > I ask because this sounds a bit like one of those annoying issues that SEEMS
    > to be vidcard-related, but turns out to be a loose connector somewhere which
    > gets bumped *during the re & re of the vidcard*.

    When it's running it's really stable and will happily reboot too. But
    when
    switched off overnight it won't always restart. Sometimes when it
    crashes I walk away for a few mins and then it will restart ok, no
    card pulling required.

    I've seen the same problem posted here before:

    Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
    Subject: A7N8X-E Deluxe, Asus 9600XT...no video
    Date: 10 Feb 2004 10:36:11 -0800

    but this thread has no solution! I was hoping one of these earlier
    posters would have a fix now.

    > Please post a follow-up.

    thanks for your help

    --
    Steven

    "kim & jeffrey" <kim_jeffrey@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:<7%Hac.592$Y22.32277@zonnet-reader-1>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Check your CPU Cooler if it fits good .

    It's the AMD cooler and is seated correctly. It looks flat and the CPU
    doesn't overheat at all when running

    > Worked for me

    Did you experience this same problem then? Do you have a simliar
    hardware setup?

    --
    Steven

    This problem has haunted me from the first day after I built my
    system: A7N8X-e deluxe 1.006 and 1.008 Bios, Asus 9600XT, 2800+ (no
    over clocking), 1G TWINX Corsair PC3200LL, Zalman 400W PS, Seagate 80G
    Baricuda. You can imagine my disbelief when my system failed to post
    the following morning.

    My observations:
    Occurs on cold boot after many hours off (AC off).
    Fan on 9600XT does not start when this occurs. No speaker beep or
    video. Fans turn on and hard disks spin.
    Reset button never gets it to post.
    Only AC removal and many tries will allow system to post.
    Fiddling around in case with cables, reseating cards, removing memory,
    etc. is inconclusive. Sometimes something works othertimes it does
    not. I conclude it is a random type event and false indication of a
    possible solution.
    I had a prolonged period of a few days with no problems after I
    increased AGP memory to 128MB and/or disabled APG 8X support in Bios.
    It then started to occur after I tried to do experiments to determine
    this was the solution.
    No problems at all in Windows XP Pro after booting OK.
    Asus Smart Doctor is flaky in regards to voltage readings.

    My gut impression: a low level fundamental problem with either this
    card or combination of card and motherboard. I do not expect a real
    resolution to this and expect it to cost me several hundreds of
    dollars to eventually solve completely i.e., different motherboard or
    motherboard and different video card. There is no gurantee what works
    for one person will work for another.

    I've researched this from every angle possible: memory, power supply,
    video card, corrupted BIOS, motherboard, CPU, etc. etc.. It is
    happening to many people and I chaulk it up to me being one of the
    unlucky ones along with the others.

    All I can suggest is to disable 8X AGP and play around with AGP
    aperture settings. I've seen too many posts of people swapping power
    supplies, memory, processors, etc, with no effect.

    OK...now I'm thinking a PCB [solder] crack. I'm going out on a limb a
    little, but this sounds like a classic: COLD = DEAD/WARM = SIGNS of LIFE.

    Unfortunately I am not aware of a way to verify this, short of assembling
    everything onto a different (or replacement of existing) mobo.

    FWIW.

    Please post a follow-up.
    Ron

    Bogo wrote:

    Bogo, you say you have seen this from many people, is it always with the
    9600XT graphics card or have you seen anyone experiencing a problem with
    other graphics cards? And is it always an *ASUS* 9600XT card?

    > All I can suggest is to disable 8X AGP and play around with AGP
    > aperture settings. I've seen too many posts of people swapping power
    > supplies, memory, processors, etc, with no effect.

    Mine will boot with the following sequence:

    1. Fails to startup after being off for some time.
    2. switch off, remove graphics card.
    3. Boot again - POST message "No graphics card".
    4. switch off, replace graphics card.
    5. Boots ok.

    If step 3 is dropped then it won't boot in step 5 so I don't think that
    the card is badly seated. I believe there is a problem in the BIOS.
    Maybe it detects a fault condition such as overclocking so will not boot
    for safety. The removal of the card causes the BIOS to recheck the
    system and then it correctly identifies the CPU/fsb setting, whatever.
    Just my theory though.

    I am really disappointed in this ASUS combination, I spent considerable
    time choosing my new system and cannot afford to get a new mobo or
    graphics card to fix it. Has anyone explored this with ASUS support?
    It's easy for a manufacturer to shift blame as there are so many
    components in a system but I'm convinced this is a GPU/mobo problem and
    they are both ASUS. :-(

    I see another new BIOS has been released, V1010 - maybe worth a try but
    I doubt it.

    --
    Steven

    Ron wrote:

    > OK...now I'm thinking a PCB [solder] crack. I'm going out on a limb a
    > little, but this sounds like a classic: COLD = DEAD/WARM = SIGNS of LIFE.

    Maybe but I think there is more evidence that negates this :-( SWMBO
    started the PC the other day while I was at work. It failed to boot but
    she wasn't sure what to do so left it with the just fans running. A
    couple of hours later when I got back it still wouldn't reboot - should
    have warmed up by then.

    I appreciate your suggestions please don't think I'm just shooting them
    down, it's just that I have considered most things already.

    > Unfortunately I am not aware of a way to verify this, short of assembling
    > everything onto a different (or replacement of existing) mobo.

    Unfortunately I don't have a spare mobo or graphics card to try this.

    --
    Steven

    I cannot say it is only with 9600XT or Asus 9600XT. The most common
    elements of systems with this problem seem to be a Nforce2 board and
    9600XT/9700/9800 type card. The BIOS theory is high on the list too. I
    have disabled the posting voice because I would get an ocassional
    warning system failed due to overclocking which I was not. The system
    would still boot fine with no later problems or indication of
    incorrect settings.
    One other thing I tried when it failed to post was remove one of my
    RAM sticks and it started. I would have to run for a week or so in
    this mode to really confirm bad memory or running dual channel
    connection. I had thought the 8X to 4X AGP setting fixed it but it
    happened again after working fine for 4-5 days.

    Yesterday I broke down the system to check all connectors, seating of
    mother board, etc. Put it back together and had it not post a few
    times later in the day.

    I don't know what I'll do at this point. Probably tolerate it and see
    if I can try a different video card, memory and CPU by either
    borrowing or on an acelerated path to upgrade to a complete new
    system. I've spent much too much time on this!
    Here's a good resource if you don't know about them already.
    http://www.amdmb.com/

    Bogo wrote:

    > I cannot say it is only with 9600XT or Asus 9600XT. The most common
    > elements of systems with this problem seem to be a Nforce2 board and
    > 9600XT/9700/9800 type card.

    I am having no problems with my Nforce 2 board and the 9600XT (except
    it refusing to release a MAC address to DHCP on my LAN)... sorry o(

    regards

    @ndrew

Asus Graphics Cards Motherboards