A7N8X-E SATA Drivers Disk & Win XP installation

I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while doing a
WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk - - - inserted
disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an error message (I
think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing the cdrom drive.

I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it is
says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.

At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent release
of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error message was
simply a indication that the correct files could not be found since they
are not on the old WinXP install CD.

Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on this
motherboard?

Comments?

thanks in advance,

john
9 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x sata drivers disk installation

    I dont have that motherboard but I have installed a SATA drive as the system
    drive with an older (pre SP1) windows disk. I ended up downloading the drivers
    needed from viaarena.com and didnt have an issue.

    If it is your older version of XP thats giving you issues you can try
    slipstreaming SP1 and see if that helps.

    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp1-bootcd.html

    John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
    @eos.ncsu.edu:

    > I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while doing a
    > WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk - - - inserted
    > disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an error message (I
    > think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing the cdrom drive.
    >
    > I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it is
    > says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.
    >
    > At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent release
    > of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error message was
    > simply a indication that the correct files could not be found since they
    > are not on the old WinXP install CD.
    >

    > Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on this
    > motherboard?
    >

    > Comments?
    >

    > thanks in advance,
    >
    > john

    Yes
    Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
    Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers from
    Silicon Image site
    http://www.siimage.com
    http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
    file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
    which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i slipstreamed
    XP initial)
    Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
    However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot disks
    available from MS site
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
    don't know if it's related.

    Chris

    I succeeded with the drivers on the Installation CD.
    In Drivers/SATA
    Copy txtoem.inf et related files to a diskette.
    Of course your have to do that prior to changing your motherboard.

    Disconnect all non SATA drives. Otherwise PATA drive will
    be C:.

    As indicated below :
    When requested to do so (during WinXp install) press F6
    and then (when, etc.) press S with the
    diskette in the floppy drive.

    Everything should be fine. It worked for me.

    "Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message
    > John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
    > @eos.ncsu.edu:
    >
    > > I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while doing a
    > > WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk - - - inserted
    > > disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an error message (I
    > > think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing the cdrom drive.
    > >
    > > I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it is
    > > says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.
    > >
    > > At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent release
    > > of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error message was
    > > simply a indication that the correct files could not be found since they
    > > are not on the old WinXP install CD.
    > >

    > > Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on this
    > > motherboard?
    > >

    > > Comments?
    > >

    > > thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > john
    > >

    > Yes
    > Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
    > Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers from
    > Silicon Image site
    > http://www.siimage.com
    > http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
    > file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
    > which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i slipstreamed
    > XP initial)
    > Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
    > However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot disks
    > available from MS site
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
    > don't know if it's related.
    >
    > Chris

    ..
    If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
    additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD onto
    a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6 prompt, you
    insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't have a floppy disk
    drive, that a USB drive would work) which then would access the floppy and
    give you your choices for load. HTH

    Both Ted and Natéag are correct, the drivers need to be on a floppy, and
    the sequence is right.
    But i confirm that i had problems with the drivers from the asus web
    site, even on a floppy: that would not do.

    "Ted" <tedgeorge911@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > "Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message
    >> John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
    >> @eos.ncsu.edu:
    >>
    >> > I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while
    >> > doing a WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk -
    >> > - - inserted disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an
    >> > error message (I think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing
    >> > the cdrom drive.
    >> >
    >> > I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it
    >> > is says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.
    >> >
    >> > At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent
    >> > release of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error
    >> > message was simply a indication that the correct files could not be
    >> > found since they are not on the old WinXP install CD.
    >> >

    >> > Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on
    >> > this motherboard?
    >> >

    >> > Comments?
    >> >

    >> > thanks in advance,
    >> >
    >> > john
    >> >

    >> Yes
    >> Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
    >> Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers
    >> from Silicon Image site
    >> http://www.siimage.com
    >> http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
    >> file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
    >> which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i
    >> slipstreamed XP initial)
    >> Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
    >> However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot
    >> disks available from MS site
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
    >> don't know if it's related.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    > .
    > If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
    > additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD
    > onto a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6
    > prompt, you insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't
    > have a floppy disk drive, that a USB drive would work) which then
    > would access the floppy and give you your choices for load. HTH

    Yes, that is the basic idea. And I've done that many times, but the drivers on
    the CD gave trouble. I got an error message about not being able to find a file
    pointed to by a path in oentext.inf (or something like that).

    thanks,
    john

    Ted wrote:

    > "Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message
    > > John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
    > > @eos.ncsu.edu:
    > >
    > > > I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while doing a
    > > > WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk - - - inserted
    > > > disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an error message (I
    > > > think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing the cdrom drive.
    > > >
    > > > I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it is
    > > > says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.
    > > >
    > > > At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent release
    > > > of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error message was
    > > > simply a indication that the correct files could not be found since they
    > > > are not on the old WinXP install CD.
    > > >

    > > > Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on this
    > > > motherboard?
    > > >

    > > > Comments?
    > > >

    > > > thanks in advance,
    > > >
    > > > john
    > > >

    > > Yes
    > > Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
    > > Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers from
    > > Silicon Image site
    > > http://www.siimage.com
    > > http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
    > > file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
    > > which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i slipstreamed
    > > XP initial)
    > > Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
    > > However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot disks
    > > available from MS site
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
    > > don't know if it's related.
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >
    > .
    > If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
    > additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD onto
    > a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6 prompt, you
    > insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't have a floppy disk
    > drive, that a USB drive would work) which then would access the floppy and
    > give you your choices for load. HTH

    Thank you.

    I wouldn't have posted otherwise.

    :-)

    john

    Chris wrote:

    > Both Ted and Natéag are correct, the drivers need to be on a floppy, and
    > the sequence is right.
    > But i confirm that i had problems with the drivers from the asus web
    > site, even on a floppy: that would not do.
    >
    > "Ted" <tedgeorge911@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >

    > > "Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message
    > >> John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
    > >> @eos.ncsu.edu:

    > >> Yes
    > >> Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
    > >> Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers
    > >> from Silicon Image site
    > >> http://www.siimage.com
    > >> http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
    > >> file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
    > >> which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i
    > >> slipstreamed XP initial)
    > >> Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
    > >> However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot
    > >> disks available from MS site
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
    > >> don't know if it's related.
    > >>
    > >> Chris
    > >>
    > > .
    > > If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
    > > additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD
    > > onto a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6
    > > prompt, you insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't
    > > have a floppy disk drive, that a USB drive would work) which then
    > > would access the floppy and give you your choices for load. HTH

    Just built a machine on this board with SATA and Win 2K Pro. I had no
    trouble with the drivers on the ASUS CD.

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 14:50:51 -0500, John Wilson
    <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:

    >Thank you.
    >
    >I wouldn't have posted otherwise.
    >
    >:-)
    >
    >john
    >

    >Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Both Ted and Natéag are correct, the drivers need to be on a floppy, and
    >> the sequence is right.
    >> But i confirm that i had problems with the drivers from the asus web
    >> site, even on a floppy: that would not do.
    >>
    >> "Ted" <tedgeorge911@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >>

    >> > "Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message

    >> > .
    >> > If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
    >> > additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD
    >> > onto a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6
    >> > prompt, you insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't
    >> > have a floppy disk drive, that a USB drive would work) which then
    >> > would access the floppy and give you your choices for load. HTH

    The problem is, that Win XP install tries to find the drivers in a specific
    place. It's not good enough, that the drivers are in the floppy - they
    should be in right subdirectory too...

    Put the txtsetup.oem and fasttx2k files in the root directory and then in
    winxp-directory (or win2000/nt4/98-me) the rest. Now Windows will find the
    driver...

    If you have Asus support CD, just copy whole Drivers\Promise\ -subdirectory
    to a floppy.

    Bill says: Do as I want or...

    --

    Jouko

    On the net since 1997

    ***
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
    very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    - Douglas Adams
    ***

    "John Wilson" <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Yes, that is the basic idea. And I've done that many times, but the
    drivers on
    > the CD gave trouble. I got an error message about not being able to find a
    file
    > pointed to by a path in oentext.inf (or something like that).
    >
    > thanks,
    > john
    >

    > Ted wrote:
    >
    > > "Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message
    > > > John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
    > > > @eos.ncsu.edu:

    > > > Yes
    > > > Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
    > > > Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers
    from
    > > > Silicon Image site
    > > > http://www.siimage.com
    > > > http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
    > > > file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
    > > > which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i
    slipstreamed
    > > > XP initial)
    > > > Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
    > > > However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot
    disks
    > > > available from MS site
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
    > > > don't know if it's related.
    > > >
    > > > Chris
    > > >
    > > .
    > > If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
    > > additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD
    onto
    > > a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6 prompt,
    you
    > > insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't have a floppy
    disk
    > > drive, that a USB drive would work) which then would access the floppy
    and
    > > give you your choices for load. HTH

Asus Drivers CD-Rom Error Message Windows XP Motherboards