A7N8X-E SATA Drivers Disk & Win XP installation

Last response: in Motherboards
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2004 10:02:20 PM

I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while doing a
WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk - - - inserted
disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an error message (I
think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing the cdrom drive.

I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it is
says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.

At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent release
of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error message was
simply a indication that the correct files could not be found since they
are not on the old WinXP install CD.

Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on this
motherboard?

Comments?

thanks in advance,

john
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2004 2:37:54 PM

I dont have that motherboard but I have installed a SATA drive as the system
drive with an older (pre SP1) windows disk. I ended up downloading the drivers
needed from viaarena.com and didnt have an issue.

If it is your older version of XP thats giving you issues you can try
slipstreaming SP1 and see if that helps.

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp1-bootcd....
April 1, 2004 9:42:54 PM

John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
@eos.ncsu.edu:

> I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while doing a
> WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk - - - inserted
> disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an error message (I
> think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing the cdrom drive.
>
> I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it is
> says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.
>
> At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent release
> of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error message was
> simply a indication that the correct files could not be found since they
> are not on the old WinXP install CD.
>

> Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on this
> motherboard?
>

> Comments?
>

> thanks in advance,
>
> john

Yes
Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers from
Silicon Image site
http://www.siimage.com
http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i slipstreamed
XP initial)
Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot disks
available from MS site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
don't know if it's related.

Chris
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2004 9:42:55 PM

I succeeded with the drivers on the Installation CD.
In Drivers/SATA
Copy txtoem.inf et related files to a diskette.
Of course your have to do that prior to changing your motherboard.

Disconnect all non SATA drives. Otherwise PATA drive will
be C:.

As indicated below :
When requested to do so (during WinXp install) press F6
and then (when, etc.) press S with the
diskette in the floppy drive.

Everything should be fine. It worked for me.

"Chris" <none@idontwant.com> a écrit dans le message de
> John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
> @eos.ncsu.edu:
>
> > I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while doing a
> > WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk - - - inserted
> > disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an error message (I
> > think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing the cdrom drive.
> >
> > I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it is
> > says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.
> >
> > At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent release
> > of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error message was
> > simply a indication that the correct files could not be found since they
> > are not on the old WinXP install CD.
> >

> > Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on this
> > motherboard?
> >

> > Comments?
> >

> > thanks in advance,
> >
> > john
> >

> Yes
> Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
> Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers from
> Silicon Image site
> http://www.siimage.com
> http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
> file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
> which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i slipstreamed
> XP initial)
> Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
> However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot disks
> available from MS site
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
> don't know if it's related.
>
> Chris

April 1, 2004 11:27:55 PM

"Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message
> John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
> @eos.ncsu.edu:
>
> > I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while doing a
> > WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk - - - inserted
> > disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an error message (I
> > think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing the cdrom drive.
> >
> > I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it is
> > says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.
> >
> > At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent release
> > of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error message was
> > simply a indication that the correct files could not be found since they
> > are not on the old WinXP install CD.
> >

> > Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on this
> > motherboard?
> >

> > Comments?
> >

> > thanks in advance,
> >
> > john
> >

> Yes
> Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
> Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers from
> Silicon Image site
> http://www.siimage.com
> http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
> file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
> which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i slipstreamed
> XP initial)
> Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
> However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot disks
> available from MS site
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
> don't know if it's related.
>
> Chris

..
If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD onto
a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6 prompt, you
insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't have a floppy disk
drive, that a USB drive would work) which then would access the floppy and
give you your choices for load. HTH
April 2, 2004 7:31:05 PM

Both Ted and Natéag are correct, the drivers need to be on a floppy, and
the sequence is right.
But i confirm that i had problems with the drivers from the asus web
site, even on a floppy: that would not do.

"Ted" <tedgeorge911@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message
>> John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
>> @eos.ncsu.edu:
>>
>> > I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while
>> > doing a WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk -
>> > - - inserted disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an
>> > error message (I think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing
>> > the cdrom drive.
>> >
>> > I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it
>> > is says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.
>> >
>> > At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent
>> > release of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error
>> > message was simply a indication that the correct files could not be
>> > found since they are not on the old WinXP install CD.
>> >

>> > Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on
>> > this motherboard?
>> >

>> > Comments?
>> >

>> > thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > john
>> >

>> Yes
>> Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
>> Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers
>> from Silicon Image site
>> http://www.siimage.com
>> http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
>> file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
>> which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i
>> slipstreamed XP initial)
>> Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
>> However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot
>> disks available from MS site
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
>> don't know if it's related.
>>
>> Chris
>>
> .
> If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
> additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD
> onto a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6
> prompt, you insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't
> have a floppy disk drive, that a USB drive would work) which then
> would access the floppy and give you your choices for load. HTH

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2004 6:50:06 PM

Yes, that is the basic idea. And I've done that many times, but the drivers on
the CD gave trouble. I got an error message about not being able to find a file
pointed to by a path in oentext.inf (or something like that).

thanks,
john

Ted wrote:

> "Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message
> > John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
> > @eos.ncsu.edu:
> >
> > > I found the drivers on the ASUS site and tried to use them while doing a
> > > WinXP install. Pressed F6 to be prompted for drivers disk - - - inserted
> > > disk - - - WinXP located correct drivers, but gave an error message (I
> > > think it couldn't find a file.) while accessing the cdrom drive.
> > >
> > > I am using an older WinXP install CD. In the ASUS A7N8X-E manual it is
> > > says to use WinXP Service Pack 1.
> > >
> > > At this point, I assume they mean you must use the more recent release
> > > of the install CD that has SP1 included. I think the error message was
> > > simply a indication that the correct files could not be found since they
> > > are not on the old WinXP install CD.
> > >

> > > Has anyone been able to do a fresh install using a SATA drive on this
> > > motherboard?
> > >

> > > Comments?
> > >

> > > thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > john
> > >

> > Yes
> > Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
> > Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers from
> > Silicon Image site
> > http://www.siimage.com
> > http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
> > file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
> > which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i slipstreamed
> > XP initial)
> > Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
> > However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot disks
> > available from MS site
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
> > don't know if it's related.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> .
> If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
> additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD onto
> a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6 prompt, you
> insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't have a floppy disk
> drive, that a USB drive would work) which then would access the floppy and
> give you your choices for load. HTH
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2004 6:50:51 PM

Thank you.

I wouldn't have posted otherwise.

:-)

john

Chris wrote:

> Both Ted and Natéag are correct, the drivers need to be on a floppy, and
> the sequence is right.
> But i confirm that i had problems with the drivers from the asus web
> site, even on a floppy: that would not do.
>
> "Ted" <tedgeorge911@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

> > "Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message
> >> John Wilson <jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote in news:406B4DFC.D9E14256
> >> @eos.ncsu.edu:

> >> Yes
> >> Had same problem with downloaded drivers from Asus site
> >> Might be that these drivers are corrupted, as i downloaded drivers
> >> from Silicon Image site
> >> http://www.siimage.com
> >> http://12.24.47.40/utility/getfile.asp?rid=1804
> >> file: 3112_x86_logo_rdvr_10040.zip / size: 177013
> >> which worked perfectly, either for XP initial or SP1 (once i
> >> slipstreamed XP initial)
> >> Didn't bother to try with the drivers on the Asus CD
> >> However, for my initial XP install, i booted from the MS floppy boot
> >> disks available from MS site
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
> >> don't know if it's related.
> >>
> >> Chris
> >>
> > .
> > If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
> > additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD
> > onto a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6
> > prompt, you insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't
> > have a floppy disk drive, that a USB drive would work) which then
> > would access the floppy and give you your choices for load. HTH

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2004 6:50:52 PM

Just built a machine on this board with SATA and Win 2K Pro. I had no
trouble with the drivers on the ASUS CD.

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 14:50:51 -0500, John Wilson
<jmwilson@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:

>Thank you.
>
>I wouldn't have posted otherwise.
>
>:-)
>
>john
>

>Chris wrote:
>
>> Both Ted and Natéag are correct, the drivers need to be on a floppy, and
>> the sequence is right.
>> But i confirm that i had problems with the drivers from the asus web
>> site, even on a floppy: that would not do.
>>
>> "Ted" <tedgeorge911@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>

>> > "Chris" <none@idontwant.com> wrote in message

>> > .
>> > If I understand the question/concern correctly...when hitting F6 for
>> > additional drivers, you'd first have to copy the SATA files off the CD
>> > onto a floppy disk. On a new install (or perhaps a rebuild) at the F6
>> > prompt, you insert the floppy disk in drive A: (not sure if you don't
>> > have a floppy disk drive, that a USB drive would work) which then
>> > would access the floppy and give you your choices for load. HTH

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2004 12:25:15 AM

The problem is, that Win XP install tries to find the drivers in a specific
place. It's not good enough, that the drivers are in the floppy - they
should be in right subdirectory too...

Put the txtsetup.oem and fasttx2k files in the root directory and then in
winxp-directory (or win2000/nt4/98-me) the rest. Now Windows will find the
driver...

If you have Asus support CD, just copy whole Drivers\Promise\ -subdirectory
to a floppy.

Bill says: Do as I want or...

--

Jouko

On the net since 1997

***
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams
***

!