ASUS CUV4X-D problem

Greetings,

I have a problem with an asus cuv4x-d dual cpu motherboard.... The
motherboard has latest BIOS 1.016
I plug in 2 cpus ( PIII 866/133 256K coppermine) and only the cpu#2 is shown
up.
both cpus are tested on another motherboard and run ok.
cpu#1 : none
cpu#2 : *PIII 866 ......
PIII 866/133 is supported by the motherboard....

The strange thing is that the pc with only the second cpu enabled runs rock
solid in linux in hard usage without any problem but only with the second
cpu....
I cannot find out what to do....
Waiting for your help....

Paul

Splendid

In article <c4fjqk$91m$1@nic.grnet.gr>, Toussis Manolis
<koppermind@panafonet.gr> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a problem with an asus cuv4x-d dual cpu motherboard.... The
> motherboard has latest BIOS 1.016
> I plug in 2 cpus ( PIII 866/133 256K coppermine) and only the cpu#2 is shown
> up.
> both cpus are tested on another motherboard and run ok.
> cpu#1 : none
> cpu#2 : *PIII 866 ......
> PIII 866/133 is supported by the motherboard....
>
> The strange thing is that the pc with only the second cpu enabled runs rock
> solid in linux in hard usage without any problem but only with the second
> cpu....
> I cannot find out what to do....
> Waiting for your help....

I see some posts in Google about reducing the FSB from 133MHz to
124MHz. Maybe that will help the dual configuration.

If could also be that the two CPU sockets are not powered by the
same voltage regulator. In one Google post, they mention that a
HIP6021 is one of the regulator chips, which is capable of voltages
as low as 1.3V. That should be good for just about any processor
you install on the board. I see a smaller (20 pin?) chip to the
right of the ATX 20 pin connector, and that could be a second
voltage regulator chip. If both voltage regulators don't support
voltages less than 1.8V, then your 1.7V or so processors might not
both boot. (If you can read the part numbers off the two voltage
regulator chips, and post them here, we can look up the characteristics
of the chips for you. The voltage needs of your processor can be
looked up by entering the 5 character SSPEC number on the
http://processorfinder.intel.com web page.)

I would try the FSB change first, just to see if that will work.

The HIP6021 is here:
http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn4/fn4684/FN4684.pdf

HTH,
Paul

Paul wrote:

> In article <c4fjqk$91m$1@nic.grnet.gr>, Toussis Manolis
> <koppermind@panafonet.gr> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have a problem with an asus cuv4x-d dual cpu motherboard.... The
>> motherboard has latest BIOS 1.016
>> I plug in 2 cpus ( PIII 866/133 256K coppermine) and only the cpu#2 is
>> shown up.
>> both cpus are tested on another motherboard and run ok.
>> cpu#1 : none
>> cpu#2 : *PIII 866 ......
>> PIII 866/133 is supported by the motherboard....
>>
>> The strange thing is that the pc with only the second cpu enabled runs
>> rock solid in linux in hard usage without any problem but only with the
>> second cpu....
>> I cannot find out what to do....
>> Waiting for your help....
>
> I see some posts in Google about reducing the FSB from 133MHz to
> 124MHz. Maybe that will help the dual configuration.
>
> If could also be that the two CPU sockets are not powered by the
> same voltage regulator. In one Google post, they mention that a
> HIP6021 is one of the regulator chips, which is capable of voltages
> as low as 1.3V. That should be good for just about any processor
> you install on the board. I see a smaller (20 pin?) chip to the
> right of the ATX 20 pin connector, and that could be a second
> voltage regulator chip. If both voltage regulators don't support
> voltages less than 1.8V, then your 1.7V or so processors might not
> both boot. (If you can read the part numbers off the two voltage
> regulator chips, and post them here, we can look up the characteristics
> of the chips for you. The voltage needs of your processor can be
> looked up by entering the 5 character SSPEC number on the
> http://processorfinder.intel.com web page.)
>
> I would try the FSB change first, just to see if that will work.
>
> The HIP6021 is here:
> http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn4/fn4684/FN4684.pdf
>
> HTH,
> Paul

I have tried many processor fsb ( and 124) but didn't worked.

the two regulators are:
big chip HIP6021ACB
little chip (on the right) HIP6004BCB

I don't think it is a regulator problem because even if there is a N/A in
the BIOS monitor in vcore1... I get a 1.70 voltage in vcore1/vcore2 reading
it from both linux (lm_sensors) / windows (sandra). Is the power supply
suspicious for the problem? Should I buy another ATX power?

thanks for your post....

Paul

Splendid

In article <c4g9u6$jkn$1@nic.grnet.gr>, Toussis Manolis
<koppermind@panafonet.gr> wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
> > In article <c4fjqk$91m$1@nic.grnet.gr>, Toussis Manolis
> > <koppermind@panafonet.gr> wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I have a problem with an asus cuv4x-d dual cpu motherboard.... The
> >> motherboard has latest BIOS 1.016
> >> I plug in 2 cpus ( PIII 866/133 256K coppermine) and only the cpu#2 is
> >> shown up.
> >> both cpus are tested on another motherboard and run ok.
> >> cpu#1 : none
> >> cpu#2 : *PIII 866 ......
> >> PIII 866/133 is supported by the motherboard....
> >>
> >> The strange thing is that the pc with only the second cpu enabled runs
> >> rock solid in linux in hard usage without any problem but only with the
> >> second cpu....
> >> I cannot find out what to do....
> >> Waiting for your help....
> >
> > I see some posts in Google about reducing the FSB from 133MHz to
> > 124MHz. Maybe that will help the dual configuration.
> >
> > If could also be that the two CPU sockets are not powered by the
> > same voltage regulator. In one Google post, they mention that a
> > HIP6021 is one of the regulator chips, which is capable of voltages
> > as low as 1.3V. That should be good for just about any processor
> > you install on the board. I see a smaller (20 pin?) chip to the
> > right of the ATX 20 pin connector, and that could be a second
> > voltage regulator chip. If both voltage regulators don't support
> > voltages less than 1.8V, then your 1.7V or so processors might not
> > both boot. (If you can read the part numbers off the two voltage
> > regulator chips, and post them here, we can look up the characteristics
> > of the chips for you. The voltage needs of your processor can be
> > looked up by entering the 5 character SSPEC number on the
> > http://processorfinder.intel.com web page.)
> >
> > I would try the FSB change first, just to see if that will work.
> >
> > The HIP6021 is here:
> > http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn4/fn4684/FN4684.pdf
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul
>
> I have tried many processor fsb ( and 124) but didn't worked.
>
> the two regulators are:
> big chip HIP6021ACB
> little chip (on the right) HIP6004BCB
>
> I don't think it is a regulator problem because even if there is a N/A in
> the BIOS monitor in vcore1... I get a 1.70 voltage in vcore1/vcore2 reading
> it from both linux (lm_sensors) / windows (sandra). Is the power supply
> suspicious for the problem? Should I buy another ATX power?
>
> thanks for your post....

http://www.intersil.com/products/deviceinfo.asp?pn=HIP6021
says "1.3VDC to 2.05VDC in 0.05V steps and from 2.1VDC to 3.5VDC in 0.1V",
which will handle anything.

http://www.intersil.com/products/deviceinfo.asp?pn=HIP6004B
has the same rating as the HIP6021, so no problem there.

The only other thing that comes to mind, is maybe the circuit is
overloaded or damaged. How do the capacitors look ? Are they bulging
on the top, or is there a brown stain from what looks like a fluid
that leaked out of the capacitors ?

I don't think any other jumpers or settings are needed to get a
second processor to work...

If your ATX power supply had a problem, then either both processors
would work, or both processors would fail. An ATX supply fault
should not be able to make one fail and one work. Save your money
for now.

The HIP6021 would seem to be OK, because it supplies the AGP
voltage, as well as powering one processor. So, something is up
with the 6004.

Is the second processor well seated ? If somehow a VID code of
11111 is sent to a regulator, it will disable its output.
That can happen if there is no processor in the socket or if
the processor VID pins aren't seated.

At least one user here, bought a board second hand, and the
previous owner left a "wire trick" in the socket. Check the
socket carefully, to see if someone has been attempting to
modify the board.

Paul

Toussis Manolis wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a problem with an asus cuv4x-d dual cpu motherboard.... The
> motherboard has latest BIOS 1.016
> I plug in 2 cpus ( PIII 866/133 256K coppermine) and only the cpu#2 is
> shown up.
> both cpus are tested on another motherboard and run ok.
> cpu#1 : none
> cpu#2 : *PIII 866 ......
> PIII 866/133 is supported by the motherboard....
>
> The strange thing is that the pc with only the second cpu enabled runs
> rock solid in linux in hard usage without any problem but only with the
> second cpu....
> I cannot find out what to do....
> Waiting for your help....

any ideas?

"Toussis Manolis" <koppermind@panafonet.gr> wrote in message news:c4ho69$3p6$1@nic.grnet.gr...
> Toussis Manolis wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have a problem with an asus cuv4x-d dual cpu motherboard.... The
> > motherboard has latest BIOS 1.016
> > I plug in 2 cpus ( PIII 866/133 256K coppermine) and only the cpu#2 is
> > shown up.
> > both cpus are tested on another motherboard and run ok.
> > cpu#1 : none
> > cpu#2 : *PIII 866 ......
> > PIII 866/133 is supported by the motherboard....
> >
> > The strange thing is that the pc with only the second cpu enabled runs
> > rock solid in linux in hard usage without any problem but only with the
> > second cpu....
> > I cannot find out what to do....
> > Waiting for your help....
>
> any ideas?

I have two of those, originally had 2x700@100 and 2x800@100 so they work with the older ones. I would try the following:

1. unplug the cpu fans from the 3pin header. one might be injecting noise. let it boot up long enough so that you see cpu1 enabled. If you got any other fans that are 3pin then unplug them also for this test.

2. swap cpu2 and cpu1 and see if the problem migrates with the cpu.

In line with another posters suggestion.... look at socket for piece of wire or debris in socket, check for bent over pin on cpu. Check under motherboard for screw lodged under socket, doing a short on you. You might want to blow air thru socket using one of those air can.

3. Check that you might have moved a jumper and left the metal part behind on the posts. I have done that a couple of times. It is very easy to transpose a jumper and sometimes it takes a 2nd person to spot the problem.

If the mb is damaged, you might have trouble replacing it as those cuv4x-d (also the a7m266-d) are hard to come by. I dont know why asus quit doing the a7m266-d business. There are some gigabyte duals available that also take those tutalietin chips, search for 6vtxd in pricewatch. i got two of them for about $80 last year and have not had any problem with the capacitors leaking unlike like the cheaper $40 dual motherboards from pcchips and their clones. If you move cpu2 into cpu1 and boot with a single cpu then the motherboard is still good. However, you will have to find that socket 370 terminater if you pull one of the cpu's out. I have got a couple and if you are anywhere near san antonio texas, you are welcome to it assumeing i can still find it. Lookin at your email, this probably is not an option.

Beemer Biker antispam@sbcglobal.net
Seti WU 40K Seti Years 46 Ask about my 99'R1100RT
New BoneHer V-Twin...
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jstateson/_images/hisherbike.jpg

Beemer Biker wrote:

> 1. unplug the cpu fans from the 3pin header. one might be injecting
> noise. let it boot up long enough so that you see cpu1 enabled. If you
> got any other fans that are 3pin then unplug them also for this test.
didn't work.... CPU1:NONE CPU2:*INTEL PIII 866

> 2. swap cpu2 and cpu1 and see if the problem migrates with the cpu.

if I swap the cpus the problem remains as is.
CPU1:NONE CPU2:*INTEL PIII 866

> 3. Check that you might have moved a jumper and left the metal part
> behind on the posts. I have done that a couple of times. It is very easy
> to transpose a jumper and sometimes it takes a 2nd person to spot the
> problem.
I even setuped the motherboard with the two cpus and only the vga outside
the box to make sure that there is no problem with any short circuit or
bending/shearing of the motherboard.

> If you move cpu2 into cpu1 and boot with a
> single cpu then the motherboard is still good.
I don't know enymore if this is fact.
The motherboard is stable with one cpu BUT it has two cpus on.
Even in the log files of boot linux kernel there is no error, but also there
is no second apic i/o detection.

> However, you will have to
> find that socket 370 terminater if you pull one of the cpu's out. I have
> got a couple and if you are anywhere near san antonio texas, you are
> welcome to it assumeing i can still find it. Lookin at your email, this
> probably is not an option.

thank you for your proposal but as you figured out I am in Greece and there
is no way to find in my local shops the terminator.
I will drop any effort though if I find one so I can test that CPU1 slot is
working fine... and doesn't act as a blocked "terminator" for my working
cpu2

thanks for your reply.
regards.
manolis

"Toussis Manolis" <koppermind@panafonet.gr> wrote in message news:c4j7sl$d0a$1@nic.grnet.gr...
<snip>
> is no way to find in my local shops the terminator.
> I will drop any effort though if I find one so I can test that CPU1 slot is
> working fine... and doesn't act as a blocked "terminator" for my working
> cpu2

Got to be damaged motherboard and #1 cpu acting as terminator as it wont boot with just one cpu.

If cpu overheated, there may be damaged capacitor(s) right near that socket. Look for a capacitor (usually a large one) that is puffed out at the top. There should be an "X" cut into the top of the cap. That is where they puff out. Once they overheat (the capacitor) they puff out and leaking. Compare tops of all the capacitors for one or two that are slightly different. I have a digital photo of what that looks like somewhere, i will look for it and see if I can post it somewhere, usually the puffing out is obvious in the big capacitors and not so obvious in the smaller ones.

good luck.