Trouble with my home wireless network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 28, 2004 2:15:08 AM

My cable modem is connected to a static IP router/firewall. One connection
from the router goes into a WAP. The WAP services my home system and wife's
laptop. I want to be able to share a few files from the Home unit to the
Wife's Laptop. Is there a simple way to get this done? I'm not sure if I need
to set up workgroups or a simple wireless network. Additionally, it seems
that my user sign on (home unit) has ADMIN rights but I'm consistently
advised by WinXP Home Edition that I don't have admin rights. I'm
struggling....

Dave
November 28, 2004 9:33:32 AM

Dave Beeze wrote:

> My cable modem is connected to a static IP router/firewall. One
> connection from the router goes into a WAP. The WAP services my home
> system and wife's laptop. I want to be able to share a few files from
> the Home unit to the Wife's Laptop. Is there a simple way to get this
> done? I'm not sure if I need to set up workgroups or a simple wireless
> network. Additionally, it seems that my user sign on (home unit) has
> ADMIN rights but I'm consistently advised by WinXP Home Edition that I
> don't have admin rights. I'm struggling....
>
> Dave

If both computers can successfully get on the Internet (and that's what
it sounds like from your post), then you've already set up a wireless
network. You now need to set up your home local area network (lan)
between the two computers.

Start here:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030130.shtml

and here's another great link:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoo...

As for the last part of your problem, please post back with more details
such as when you are getting the error - what applications, etc.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers