A7N8X-E and SATA with IDE or SCSI drives

Just upgraded a system using this new ASUS board. Question is how to
get only the SATA drive to boot and allow my other drives to sit as
slaves for other purposes. Here's the deal....I needed to access old
files from an IDE drive, but if I put it in the chain, even if I don't
select HDD as a boot device in BIOS it tries to boot before the SATA
(which seems to boot if it's the only drive in the system whether I
have HDD-0 or "other boot devices" enabled in BIOS). With a SCSI drive
connected I got the Marvel/Yukon program that is looking for a boot
image from a network, I think. So I get "boot disk failure - insert
system disk."

How, if at all, is it possible to put the IDE or SCSI drive in the
system yet have the SATA be the sole device at boot.

TIA
1 answer Last reply
More about a7n8x sata scsi drives

    I do not quite understand your problem.
    If you choose to boot from SCSI inthat board's BIOS
    you will boot from SATA. All the other drives will
    be available in Windows.

    Le (On) Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:51:02 -0800, Rivergoat <goat@goathead.com>
    écrivait (wrote) :

    «««Just upgraded a system using this new ASUS board. Question is how to
    «««get only the SATA drive to boot and allow my other drives to sit as
    «««slaves for other purposes. Here's the deal....I needed to access old
    «««files from an IDE drive, but if I put it in the chain, even if I don't
    «««select HDD as a boot device in BIOS it tries to boot before the SATA
    «««(which seems to boot if it's the only drive in the system whether I
    «««have HDD-0 or "other boot devices" enabled in BIOS). With a SCSI drive
    «««connected I got the Marvel/Yukon program that is looking for a boot
    «««image from a network, I think. So I get "boot disk failure - insert
    «««system disk."
    «««
    «««How, if at all, is it possible to put the IDE or SCSI drive in the
    «««system yet have the SATA be the sole device at boot.
    «««
    «««TIA

Asus SATA Boot Motherboards