NTFS File Recovery

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a system running windows XP sp1. This system has multiple hard drives
the OS drive is 40gb and I have another drive that is 200gb (both NTFS). I
recently reformatted the OS drive and reinstalled XP. The OS installs
fine... but after reboot it looks at my 200gb drive and runs a scandisk on
it. It fixes a number of "errors" on many files. Now when I browse through
this drive the files are still there with correct size, but they cannot be
opened, executed, or played with their respective applications. I now wonder
if this has something to do with XP having problems with drives over 120gb
pre-sp1. This scandisk was done before I was able to install sp1 so I guess
it moved the indexes of the files around or something. I hope I'm being
clear enough and please let me know if I need to explain a bit more.
Essentially I want to know if there is a way to recover these files. Thanks
so much for any help.

Patrick.
7 answers Last reply
More about ntfs file recovery

    Try reinstalling the applications, they aren't in your
    regeistry since you reinstalled XP.

    It's not a matter of applications not being available to open these files.
    I'm pretty sure they are corrupted or allocated incorrectly on the drive.
    For example... Opening one of the videos or mp3s on the drive with windows
    media player just comes back with an error "Invalid file type." I _think_
    that during the scandisk, windows didn't recognize the drive over 120gb it
    thought there were errors on the drive and fixed the files as a 120gb
    drive... When in actuality it is a 200gb drive. I think this because some of
    the files are fine and others are not. I'm probably not using the right
    terminology here... But I hope that I'm getting the problem across. This is
    what I think happened because the drive was fine before I formatted the OS
    drive. Thanks again.

    Patrick.

    On 4/22/04 10:47 AM, in article 2c7001c42878$c75e7760$a501280a@phx.gbl,
    "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

[...]

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Did you initialize the disk through the disk management console?

    Bobby

    "Patrick Figueroa" <patrick.figueroa@tequila.com> wrote in message

    > I have a system running windows XP sp1. This system has multiple hard
    > drives
    > the OS drive is 40gb and I have another drive that is 200gb (both NTFS). I
    > recently reformatted the OS drive and reinstalled XP. The OS installs
    > fine... but after reboot it looks at my 200gb drive and runs a scandisk on
    > it. It fixes a number of "errors" on many files. Now when I browse through
    > this drive the files are still there with correct size, but they cannot be
    > opened, executed, or played with their respective applications. I now
    > wonder
    > if this has something to do with XP having problems with drives over 120gb
    > pre-sp1. This scandisk was done before I was able to install sp1 so I
    > guess
    > it moved the indexes of the files around or something. I hope I'm being
    > clear enough and please let me know if I need to explain a bit more.
    > Essentially I want to know if there is a way to recover these files.
    > Thanks
    > so much for any help.
    >
    > Patrick.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    What do you mean by initialize? I think I'm misunderstanding you. From past
    experiences "initialize" means "format" to me... I certainly don't want to
    do that. I'm familiar with the disk management tool, what does this option
    do? Thanks much.

    Patrick.

    On 4/23/04 4:31 AM, in article #9rLV1QKEHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    "NoNoBadDog!" <nospam_bjsledge@pixi.com> wrote:

    > Did you initialize the disk through the disk management console?
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "Patrick Figueroa" <patrick.figueroa@tequila.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a system running windows XP sp1. This system has multiple hard
    >> drives
    >> the OS drive is 40gb and I have another drive that is 200gb (both NTFS). I
    >> recently reformatted the OS drive and reinstalled XP. The OS installs
    >> fine... but after reboot it looks at my 200gb drive and runs a scandisk on
    >> it. It fixes a number of "errors" on many files. Now when I browse through
    >> this drive the files are still there with correct size, but they cannot be
    >> opened, executed, or played with their respective applications. I now
    >> wonder
    >> if this has something to do with XP having problems with drives over 120gb
    >> pre-sp1. This scandisk was done before I was able to install sp1 so I
    >> guess
    >> it moved the indexes of the files around or something. I hope I'm being
    >> clear enough and please let me know if I need to explain a bit more.
    >> Essentially I want to know if there is a way to recover these files.
    >> Thanks
    >> so much for any help.
    >>
    >> Patrick.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    No, Initialize is not formatting the disk. The OS may not have access to
    the disk until you initialize it.

    > What do you mean by initialize? I think I'm misunderstanding you. From
    > past
    > experiences "initialize" means "format" to me... I certainly don't want to
    > do that. I'm familiar with the disk management tool, what does this option
    > do? Thanks much.
    >
    > Patrick.
    >

    > On 4/23/04 4:31 AM, in article #9rLV1QKEHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > "NoNoBadDog!" <nospam_bjsledge@pixi.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Did you initialize the disk through the disk management console?
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>
    >> "Patrick Figueroa" <patrick.figueroa@tequila.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have a system running windows XP sp1. This system has multiple hard
    >>> drives
    >>> the OS drive is 40gb and I have another drive that is 200gb (both NTFS).
    >>> recently reformatted the OS drive and reinstalled XP. The OS installs
    >>> fine... but after reboot it looks at my 200gb drive and runs a scandisk
    >>> on
    >>> it. It fixes a number of "errors" on many files. Now when I browse
    >>> through
    >>> this drive the files are still there with correct size, but they cannot
    >>> be
    >>> opened, executed, or played with their respective applications. I now
    >>> wonder
    >>> if this has something to do with XP having problems with drives over
    >>> 120gb
    >>> pre-sp1. This scandisk was done before I was able to install sp1 so I
    >>> guess
    >>> it moved the indexes of the files around or something. I hope I'm being
    >>> clear enough and please let me know if I need to explain a bit more.
    >>> Essentially I want to know if there is a way to recover these files.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> so much for any help.
    >>>
    >>> Patrick.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <ulPD2pXKEHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    NoNoBadDog! <nospam_bjsledge@pixi.com> wrote:
    >No, Initialize is not formatting the disk. The OS may not have access to
    >the disk until you initialize it.
    >
    >Bobby

    Please give us an example of how to initilize a disk. In which
    OS ?

    --
    Al Dykes

    Windows XP

    Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk
    Management > Select drive > Initialize Disk.

    Option will only appear on a disk that has not been initialized.

    Bobby

Data Recovery Microsoft NTFS Windows XP