DVD Drive

Ever since installing XP Professional I have been unable
to play DVD's om my DVD drive. I also have a cd rewriter
and both drives can play cd's with no problem.

I remember when I fist purchased the PC with Win 98 that
the DVD player had the same problem. After several
telephone calls with no sucess I took the pc back to the
suplier and the technician had a look in various
properties boxes and eventually either added or removed a
tick and this fixed the problem.

I can't find a similar properties box for the DVD drive
in XP and I'm guessing that the problem is simply a case
of activating/de-activating something, but I have no idea
what.

I have checked region settings and they are fine and the
drive is recognised as a dvd drive in device manager.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause of my
problem?

Many thanks

William
3 answers Last reply
More about drive

    Hello

    Do you have DVD software installed on your pc like Win DVD
    Alvin

    William wrote:

    > Ever since installing XP Professional I have been unable
    > to play DVD's om my DVD drive. I also have a cd rewriter
    > and both drives can play cd's with no problem.
    >
    > I remember when I fist purchased the PC with Win 98 that
    > the DVD player had the same problem. After several
    > telephone calls with no sucess I took the pc back to the
    > suplier and the technician had a look in various
    > properties boxes and eventually either added or removed a
    > tick and this fixed the problem.
    >
    > I can't find a similar properties box for the DVD drive
    > in XP and I'm guessing that the problem is simply a case
    > of activating/de-activating something, but I have no idea
    > what.
    >
    > I have checked region settings and they are fine and the
    > drive is recognised as a dvd drive in device manager.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause of my
    > problem?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > William

    Windows XP does not have DVD codecs/software. You must install a third
    party app such as WinDVD or PowerDVD. Check the setup disc that came with
    the drive..it should have some type of software on it

    Bobby

    "William" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ever since installing XP Professional I have been unable
    > to play DVD's om my DVD drive. I also have a cd rewriter
    > and both drives can play cd's with no problem.
    >
    > I remember when I fist purchased the PC with Win 98 that
    > the DVD player had the same problem. After several
    > telephone calls with no sucess I took the pc back to the
    > suplier and the technician had a look in various
    > properties boxes and eventually either added or removed a
    > tick and this fixed the problem.
    >
    > I can't find a similar properties box for the DVD drive
    > in XP and I'm guessing that the problem is simply a case
    > of activating/de-activating something, but I have no idea
    > what.
    >
    > I have checked region settings and they are fine and the
    > drive is recognised as a dvd drive in device manager.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause of my
    > problem?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > William

    Hi Guys

    Thanks for the replies, but I do have DVD software
    installed, I have Power DVD.

    I'm sure it's something to do with the settings of the
    drive but not sure what or where to find it.

    William

DVD Drives Windows XP