william

Ever since installing XP Professional I have been unable
to play DVD's om my DVD drive. I also have a cd rewriter
and both drives can play cd's with no problem.

I remember when I fist purchased the PC with Win 98 that
the DVD player had the same problem. After several
telephone calls with no sucess I took the pc back to the
suplier and the technician had a look in various
properties boxes and eventually either added or removed a
tick and this fixed the problem.

I can't find a similar properties box for the DVD drive
in XP and I'm guessing that the problem is simply a case
of activating/de-activating something, but I have no idea
what.

I have checked region settings and they are fine and the
drive is recognised as a dvd drive in device manager.

Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause of my
problem?

Many thanks

William

Hello

Do you have DVD software installed on your pc like Win DVD
Alvin

William wrote:

> Ever since installing XP Professional I have been unable
> to play DVD's om my DVD drive. I also have a cd rewriter
> and both drives can play cd's with no problem.
>
> I remember when I fist purchased the PC with Win 98 that
> the DVD player had the same problem. After several
> telephone calls with no sucess I took the pc back to the
> suplier and the technician had a look in various
> properties boxes and eventually either added or removed a
> tick and this fixed the problem.
>
> I can't find a similar properties box for the DVD drive
> in XP and I'm guessing that the problem is simply a case
> of activating/de-activating something, but I have no idea
> what.
>
> I have checked region settings and they are fine and the
> drive is recognised as a dvd drive in device manager.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause of my
> problem?
>
> Many thanks
>
> William

Windows XP does not have DVD codecs/software. You must install a third
party app such as WinDVD or PowerDVD. Check the setup disc that came with
the drive..it should have some type of software on it

Bobby

"William" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ever since installing XP Professional I have been unable
> to play DVD's om my DVD drive. I also have a cd rewriter
> and both drives can play cd's with no problem.
>
> I remember when I fist purchased the PC with Win 98 that
> the DVD player had the same problem. After several
> telephone calls with no sucess I took the pc back to the
> suplier and the technician had a look in various
> properties boxes and eventually either added or removed a
> tick and this fixed the problem.
>
> I can't find a similar properties box for the DVD drive
> in XP and I'm guessing that the problem is simply a case
> of activating/de-activating something, but I have no idea
> what.
>
> I have checked region settings and they are fine and the
> drive is recognised as a dvd drive in device manager.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause of my
> problem?
>
> Many thanks
>
> William

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, but I do have DVD software
installed, I have Power DVD.

I'm sure it's something to do with the settings of the
drive but not sure what or where to find it.

William