Can I remove the Safely Remove Hardware Icon from my tray

Hi I have just installed a 6 in one internal USB card reader

No I have the Safely Remove Hardware Icon in my tray at all times with the
USB mass storage drive on it

Is there a way to get rid of this ?

Thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about remove safely remove hardware icon tray

    Safely Remove Hardware Icon?
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-07.html

    Safe Removal of Plug and Play Devices
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_cgwi.asp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "plus net" <ph@pantyhosesex.net> wrote in message:

    | Hi I have just installed a 6 in one internal USB card reader
    |
    | No I have the Safely Remove Hardware Icon in my tray at all times with the
    | USB mass storage drive on it
    |
    | Is there a way to get rid of this ?
    |
    | Thanks in advance

    Good question. I've wondered why it would be unsafe to
    remove the hardware in the first place??

    It's usually better for the system to stop the service before removing the
    device.

    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    > Good question. I've wondered why it would be unsafe to
    > remove the hardware in the first place??

    In many cases data is not written out to devices at the instant you specify. It's more efficient for
    the computer to batch up data and send it later all in one go (you don't notice this, it all happens
    in the background). If you remove the device before this has happened you will lose the data. That's
    why you have to tell Windows you want to remove the device, so it can flush any remaining data to
    it.

    If you examine the properties for the device you should find an option to optimise for quick
    removal, which tells Windows not to batch things up like this so you can simply disconnect, although
    the device may not perform at full speed.

    Andrew

    > Good question. I've wondered why it would be unsafe to
    > remove the hardware in the first place??

Hardware USB Microsoft Windows XP