Can I remove the Safely Remove Hardware Icon from my tray

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • USB
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
April 22, 2004 8:50:20 PM

Hi I have just installed a 6 in one internal USB card reader

No I have the Safely Remove Hardware Icon in my tray at all times with the
USB mass storage drive on it

Is there a way to get rid of this ?

Thanks in advance

More about : remove safely remove hardware icon tray

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 8:50:21 PM

Safely Remove Hardware Icon?
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-07.html

Safe Removal of Plug and Play Devices

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"plus net" <ph@pantyhosesex.net> wrote in message:

| Hi I have just installed a 6 in one internal USB card reader
|
| No I have the Safely Remove Hardware Icon in my tray at all times with the
| USB mass storage drive on it
|
| Is there a way to get rid of this ?
|
| Thanks in advance
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 8:50:21 PM

Good question. I've wondered why it would be unsafe to
remove the hardware in the first place??

April 22, 2004 8:50:22 PM

It's usually better for the system to stop the service before removing the
device.

Cari
www.coribright.com

> Good question. I've wondered why it would be unsafe to
> remove the hardware in the first place??
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 4:01:17 AM

In many cases data is not written out to devices at the instant you specify. It's more efficient for
the computer to batch up data and send it later all in one go (you don't notice this, it all happens
in the background). If you remove the device before this has happened you will lose the data. That's
why you have to tell Windows you want to remove the device, so it can flush any remaining data to
it.

If you examine the properties for the device you should find an option to optimise for quick
removal, which tells Windows not to batch things up like this so you can simply disconnect, although
the device may not perform at full speed.

Andrew

!