In february 2003 I purchased a Microsoft Wireless® Optical
Desktop with my new computer which consists of a wireless
keyboard and optical wireless mouse. A year later in
february 2004 while using my mouse it made a loud back and
now ceases to work. I would desperately like to replace
just the mouse but where to I go?

You don't say where you are, but here in the UK that
mouse is readily available on its own from major
suppliers. Cost approx 45 pounds, say 70 US dollars.
Wherever you are, just contact a decent seller of pooter
bits and you should be able to get one, no problem.