Pundit, Maximum hard disk size

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I currently use a pundit as an MP3 server, but I am about to fill the hard
disk with data and need to get as big a disk as possible.

Can the Pundit handle disks over 137Gb with the standard built in ATA
controller?

Thanks In Advance

"Rob" <falseaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I currently use a pundit as an MP3 server, but I am about to fill the hard
> disk with data and need to get as big a disk as possible.
>
> Can the Pundit handle disks over 137Gb with the standard built in ATA
> controller?
>
> Thanks In Advance

What exactly is a pundit?

Guardian

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

"KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote in message

> "Rob" <falseaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I currently use a pundit as an MP3 server, but I am about to fill the
hard
> > disk with data and need to get as big a disk as possible.
> >
> > Can the Pundit handle disks over 137Gb with the standard built in ATA
> > controller?
> >
> > Thanks In Advance
>
> What exactly is a pundit?

I believe Rob is talking about a mini pc... here's one for example:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10158&vpn=AB-P2600-HT

Tim

The mobo is a P4S8L - not familiar with it. The details on Pundit are here:

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=Pundit&langs=01

Chipset is SIS 651/962, so that will be a major factor.

The manual is available here:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=Pundit

I suspect the answer will be in the manual.

Failing that, I don't see any reason why, so long as you have Windows XP SP1
installed, you can't have the biggest disc drives available installed. You
may need to update the bios.... Check with your supplier and get them to
plug one in to confirm the bios sees the full size.

- Tim

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 22:06:01 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:

>The mobo is a P4S8L - not familiar with it. The details on Pundit are here:
>
>http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=Pundit&langs=01
>
>Chipset is SIS 651/962, so that will be a major factor.
>
>The manual is available here:
>
>http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=Pundit
>
>I suspect the answer will be in the manual.
>
>Failing that, I don't see any reason why, so long as you have Windows XP SP1
>installed, you can't have the biggest disc drives available installed. You
>may need to update the bios.... Check with your supplier and get them to
>plug one in to confirm the bios sees the full size.

From what I remember, the SiS962-chip has ATA/133-support, and that
48-bit LBA is a part of Maxtor's specs on ATA/133. Will anyway be very
strange if such a new system don't have 48-bit LBA-support, so I don't
think this should be a issue.

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/