The 32-bit version of Windows XP Pro will support a AMD 64-bit processor.
However, you will not see the best performance until you install the 64-bit version
of Windows XP for AMD 64-bit processors which will be released sometime later
this year. Also, very few hardware manufacturers have drivers available for 64-bit O/S.

Newsgroup Support for Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/extended/trial/support.mspx

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview Program
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp

List of Limitations in 64-Bit Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282423&Product=winxp

Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298218&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

In article <2c5801c42882$bc8d68a0$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
John <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Are the current versions of XP compatible with the new
>lines of the 64 bit processors and mobo?

Yes and No.

Intel Itaniums require WIndows Server 2003 operating system,
and probably Linux. (Linux runs on everything)

AMD Opteron/Athlon64 chips run XP fine, in 32 bit mode and, from what
I've heard be comparable to the fastest currrent Pentiums. There is an
early beta version of XP available but I don't know how to get it.
64 bit versions of Linux are available, and solid, since there have been
big 64 bit Unix machines available for years and all the 32/64 bit
issues were sorted out of the Linux code a long time ago,

I expect in 32 bit mode you can't use memory greater than 2GB.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Pokey

Exactly what processors were in those big 64 bit Unix machines using that
you say have been available for years.

In article <pDThc.476499$B81.8040808@twister.tampabay.rr.com>,
Pokey <nospam@spammer.com> wrote:
>Exactly what processors were in those big 64 bit Unix machines using that
>you say have been available for years.

Well, starting with the DEC Alpha in 1992, then in no particular order,
Sun SPARC 64, HP PC-RISC, Sgi MIPS,IBM PowerPC, andIBM S/390.

http://www.faculty.iu-bremen.de/birk/lectures/PC101-2003/05cpu64/history.htm

I'm reminded that the Alpha was the first 64 bit porocessor to hit 1GHZ clock
(2001).

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Hello
For the Intel Itanium chips there are Windows XP versions available as well
as Windows Server 2003 versions.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
>From: adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
>Subject: Re: 64 bit processors
>Date: 22 Apr 2004 12:10:27 -0400
>
>In article <2c5801c42882$bc8d68a0$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
>John <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>Are the current versions of XP compatible with the new
>>lines of the 64 bit processors and mobo?
>
>Yes and No.
>
>Intel Itaniums require WIndows Server 2003 operating system,
>and probably Linux. (Linux runs on everything)
>
>AMD Opteron/Athlon64 chips run XP fine, in 32 bit mode and, from what
>I've heard be comparable to the fastest currrent Pentiums. There is an
>early beta version of XP available but I don't know how to get it.
>64 bit versions of Linux are available, and solid, since there have been
>big 64 bit Unix machines available for years and all the 32/64 bit
>issues were sorted out of the Linux code a long time ago,
>
>I expect in 32 bit mode you can't use memory greater than 2GB.
>

>--
>Al Dykes
>-----------
>adykes at p a n i x . c o m

Mike

Splendid

Pokey

If an X86 computer processor was an animal, it would be at the bottom of the
food chain.. there is and has been a world of computing way above the
venerable pc.. the world of RISC midrange computers has been around for a
while.. IBM's chess playing SP computer was NOT running dual Celeron 700s,
ya know.. Cray computers do not run on old '6512' and '80186's '.. Intel and
HP have been developing the Itanium processor for at least 3 years now.. lol

"Pokey" <nospam@spammer.com> wrote in message
> Exactly what processors were in those big 64 bit Unix machines using that
> you say have been available for years.
>
> "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
> > In article <2c5801c42882$bc8d68a0$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
> > John <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > >Are the current versions of XP compatible with the new
> > >lines of the 64 bit processors and mobo?
> >
> > Yes and No.
> >
> > Intel Itaniums require WIndows Server 2003 operating system,
> > and probably Linux. (Linux runs on everything)
> >
> > AMD Opteron/Athlon64 chips run XP fine, in 32 bit mode and, from what
> > I've heard be comparable to the fastest currrent Pentiums. There is an
> > early beta version of XP available but I don't know how to get it.
> > 64 bit versions of Linux are available, and solid, since there have been
> > big 64 bit Unix machines available for years and all the 32/64 bit
> > issues were sorted out of the Linux code a long time ago,
> >
> > I expect in 32 bit mode you can't use memory greater than 2GB.
> >

> > --
> > Al Dykes
> > adykes at p a n i x . c o m

TRENDING THREADS