A7N266-VM Latest model BIOS Rest?

Hi all,
anyone know how to reset the bios on the latest revision of the A7N266-VM,
in the manual it shows a jumper but on my board there are only two solder
spots, would shorting them with a screw driver work?
Patrick

Patrick wrote:
> Hi all,
> anyone know how to reset the bios on the latest revision of the A7N266-VM,
> in the manual it shows a jumper but on my board there are only two solder
> spots, would shorting them with a screw driver work?
> Patrick

Yep, make sure you unplug the power supply first. They also say to
remove the battery but I never have and it has always worked fine.

> > anyone know how to reset the bios on the latest revision of the
A7N266-VM,
> > in the manual it shows a jumper but on my board there are only two
solder
> > spots, would shorting them with a screw driver work?
> > Patrick
> >

> Yep, make sure you unplug the power supply first. They also say to
> remove the battery but I never have and it has always worked fine.

When I boot all I get is the warning siren. I had swapped cpu from a 1600xp
to a 2000+ XP cpu. Neither cpu will now run, have swapped cpus into other
boards and they both work fine. I presume the alarm is that some setting is
wrong but it seems the bios is not resetting OR something else is not right.
HELP!

"Patrick" <patrick@msnx.com> astounded us with:

>> > anyone know how to reset the bios on the latest revision of the
> A7N266-VM,
>> > in the manual it shows a jumper but on my board there are only two
> solder
>> > spots, would shorting them with a screw driver work?
>> > Patrick
>> >

>> Yep, make sure you unplug the power supply first. They also say to
>> remove the battery but I never have and it has always worked fine.
>
> When I boot all I get is the warning siren. I had swapped cpu from a
> 1600xp to a 2000+ XP cpu. Neither cpu will now run, have swapped cpus
> into other boards and they both work fine. I presume the alarm is that
> some setting is wrong but it seems the bios is not resetting OR
> something else is not right. HELP!

I had trouble with my daughter's board. I ended up removing the power cord
and battery and leaving overnight. It was OK in the morning.
If you have an early manual, the CPU FSB and RAM frequency jumper settings
are wrong in the manual...

--
Gene P

"Gene Puhl" <Gene_P@soma.net> wrote in message
> "Patrick" <patrick@msnx.com> astounded us with:

> > A7N266-VM,
> > solder
> >> >

> >> Yep, make sure you unplug the power supply first. They also say to
> >> remove the battery but I never have and it has always worked fine.
> >
> > When I boot all I get is the warning siren. I had swapped cpu from a
> > 1600xp to a 2000+ XP cpu. Neither cpu will now run, have swapped cpus
> > into other boards and they both work fine. I presume the alarm is that
> > some setting is wrong but it seems the bios is not resetting OR
> > something else is not right. HELP!
> >

> I had trouble with my daughter's board. I ended up removing the power cord
> and battery and leaving overnight. It was OK in the morning.
> If you have an early manual, the CPU FSB and RAM frequency jumper settings
> are wrong in the manual...

Well I did as you said and I also shorted the cmos with a paper clip and
left the board overnight and it still gives off the alarm sound. I presume I
have a dead board on my hands. The board is only a little over a month old,
how are Asus with RMA's?
Patrick

Patrick wrote:

> "Gene Puhl" <Gene_P@soma.net> wrote in message
>
>>"Patrick" <patrick@msnx.com> astounded us with:

>>>A7N266-VM,

>>>solder

>>>When I boot all I get is the warning siren. I had swapped cpu from a
>>>1600xp to a 2000+ XP cpu. Neither cpu will now run, have swapped cpus
>>>into other boards and they both work fine. I presume the alarm is that
>>>some setting is wrong but it seems the bios is not resetting OR
>>>something else is not right. HELP!
>>>

>>I had trouble with my daughter's board. I ended up removing the power cord
>>and battery and leaving overnight. It was OK in the morning.
>>If you have an early manual, the CPU FSB and RAM frequency jumper settings
>>are wrong in the manual...
>

> Well I did as you said and I also shorted the cmos with a paper clip and
> left the board overnight and it still gives off the alarm sound. I presume I
> have a dead board on my hands. The board is only a little over a month old,
> how are Asus with RMA's?
> Patrick

Was this board working before and if so what change did you last make
before the trouble began? It may be as simple as bad ram.

"tomcas" <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
> Patrick wrote:
>
> > "Gene Puhl" <Gene_P@soma.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>"Patrick" <patrick@msnx.com> astounded us with:

> >>I had trouble with my daughter's board. I ended up removing the power
cord
> >>and battery and leaving overnight. It was OK in the morning.
> >>If you have an early manual, the CPU FSB and RAM frequency jumper
settings
> >>are wrong in the manual...
> >

> > Well I did as you said and I also shorted the cmos with a paper clip and
> > left the board overnight and it still gives off the alarm sound. I
presume I
> > have a dead board on my hands. The board is only a little over a month
old,
> > how are Asus with RMA's?
> > Patrick
> >

> Was this board working before and if so what change did you last make
> before the trouble began? It may be as simple as bad ram.

The board was running for last 3 weeks, I downgraded the cpu from an Athlon
2000+ xp to a 1600xp. That is when the machine refused to boot with the wee
waa siren. I then swapped the cpu's back and I still got same problem. I
have since, swapped through 3 different sticks of ram (ocz, geil and
generic) same problem. Have contacted tech support and they said it was a
cpu overheat error, I reseated the original cpu with new application of
thermal compound and same problem.
Waiting to see if they have any other advice.
My original instinct was that the different cpu's had different voltages and
so the bios had not detected properly, but after resetting cmos and also
replacing original cpu (2000+) and have still same problem, it seems the
board has other problems. All the components I have swapped into the board
are working fine in other machines.
Patrick

Patrick wrote:
> "tomcas" <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
>
>>Patrick wrote:
>>

>>>"Gene Puhl" <Gene_P@soma.net> wrote in message

> cord

> settings

>>>Well I did as you said and I also shorted the cmos with a paper clip and
>>>left the board overnight and it still gives off the alarm sound. I
>
> presume I
>
>>>have a dead board on my hands. The board is only a little over a month
>
> old,
>
>>>how are Asus with RMA's?
>>>Patrick
>>>

>>Was this board working before and if so what change did you last make
>>before the trouble began? It may be as simple as bad ram.
>

> The board was running for last 3 weeks, I downgraded the cpu from an Athlon
> 2000+ xp to a 1600xp. That is when the machine refused to boot with the wee
> waa siren. I then swapped the cpu's back and I still got same problem. I
> have since, swapped through 3 different sticks of ram (ocz, geil and
> generic) same problem. Have contacted tech support and they said it was a
> cpu overheat error, I reseated the original cpu with new application of
> thermal compound and same problem.
> Waiting to see if they have any other advice.
> My original instinct was that the different cpu's had different voltages and
> so the bios had not detected properly, but after resetting cmos and also
> replacing original cpu (2000+) and have still same problem, it seems the
> board has other problems. All the components I have swapped into the board
> are working fine in other machines.
> Patrick

I give up. If you want here's some things to try:
Different Jumper settings + clearing cmos (like Gene said manual is wrong).
Different slot for ram.
Check cpu fan connection.

> Patrick wrote:
> > "tomcas" <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message

> > cord

> > settings

> > presume I

> > old,

> >>Was this board working before and if so what change did you last make
> >>before the trouble began? It may be as simple as bad ram.
> >

> > The board was running for last 3 weeks, I downgraded the cpu from an
Athlon
> > 2000+ xp to a 1600xp. That is when the machine refused to boot with the
wee
> > waa siren. I then swapped the cpu's back and I still got same problem. I
> > have since, swapped through 3 different sticks of ram (ocz, geil and
> > generic) same problem. Have contacted tech support and they said it was
> > cpu overheat error, I reseated the original cpu with new application of
> > thermal compound and same problem.
> > Waiting to see if they have any other advice.
> > My original instinct was that the different cpu's had different voltages
and
> > so the bios had not detected properly, but after resetting cmos and also
> > replacing original cpu (2000+) and have still same problem, it seems the
> > board has other problems. All the components I have swapped into the
board
> > are working fine in other machines.
> > Patrick
> >

> I give up. If you want here's some things to try:
> Different Jumper settings + clearing cmos (like Gene said manual is
wrong).
> Different slot for ram.
> Check cpu fan connection.

Done all of the above and had no joy. Does one have to call to have the
board RMA'ed? Is their office in Oakland CA. ?
Thanks for the help